ISRO General News and Updates

Vamsi

Country flag
I noticed a weird thing that nobody asked even on reddit or on any isro forums
Under k Sivan these two newspapers got preferential treatment for exclusive info and they were local newspapers, this was changed after s. Somnath took over
Naah,they always got info, even before Dr.Sivan

WarmongerLSK

Country flag
We already tried this concept
The Robust Technology Development Programme of SAC, Isro had developed an innovative satellite payload using the concept of origami, the art of paper folding. The INS-1C payload team has used the concept of multi-fold reflective optics to design imagers of significantly reduced thickness, as compared to those with conventional refractive cameras.

This multi-fold optical configuration is known as origami optics. It is important to note that the reflective optics is based on metal mirrors, rather than the usual glass based origami lens. The use of metal reflectors makes the camera potentially more versatile in terms of spectral coverage. The mirrors and the optical assembly were developed at the ISRO. The optics has been fabricated using a single-point diamond turning machine with a fast-tool servo.

The first payload operation was carried out successfully on January 16, 2018, and since then, the payload has provided excellent images. Data sent by this camera is useful for topographical mapping, vegetation monitoring, aerosol scattering studies and cloud studies etc.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
But entire ego shatters after watching at China which dwarfs India in all those aspects everytime. It has sounded to start even funny now.
Might be off topic but more than money it is policy paralysis issue. I mean look at the state of education in state boards we are producing sub standard students that don't have what it takes to be in STEM field but thanks to the abundance of further sub standard colleges that dole out degrees and the graduate further feel entitled to jobs. All in all our Education system produces induvial with very warped sense of capability, it only ends up harming the individual and nation in the long run.

Over 93,000 candidates, including 3,700 PhD holders apply for peon job in UP

Hence why you see such articles.
No man who respects his own Capability and Time spent will apply for this job. Rather than counting the PHD holders they should be analyzing what was the contribution of the graduates to know the state of education.

Countries like Japan have solid education up until our 12th standard equivalent after that they have national entrance test which separates the wheat from the chaff. Those who really can head to higher education while others move to vocational training.
Ours education system creates deluded folks that have never seen the mirror.

And lack of money is not responsible for this.

SavageKing456

Country flag
What's the timeline of launch though?

SCE-200 = ISRO's 2.03MN semi-cryogenic engine under development. It will boost LVM3's capacity by 50%, it's clustered configurations will power India's future HLV and SHLV rockets.
SC120 = Name of future main stage of LVM3 which will contain 1 x SCE-200
CE-32 = Name of future upper stage of LVM3 containing 1 x CE-20 cryogenic engine. It's an improvement over current C-25 upper stage with same CE-20 engine.
C32 though will have more fuel than C25, more engine burn time and hence will produce 10% more thrust than C25 (alone increases payload capacity to GTO by 450 kg).

Yes, YF-100 is currently highest thrust engine of PRC.
YF-130 is under development and will take a bit of time. It's massive.
Can't wait to see indian astronauts on the mun

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
I would say, apart from budget issues, we don't have long term goal & foresight....When Dr.Vikram Sarabhai was alive, he set us a goal...."To make Bharat, independent in space technology & use space tech for national development", I would say we almost achieved that goal, hence, now we are preparing for Human Space Flight, but what next..... Gaganyaan as of now is political, just like NASA's Apollo program in 60s.....We must from now on set a clear goal just like what Dr.Sarabhai did back then, we should first ask ourselves what we want to achieve in next 25 years, & plan accordingly, we must have a clear goal & then huge budget, without which we are just aimless, ISRO is currently aimless I would say, they just doing things for sake of doing things.
Well, I don't think "To make Bharat, independent in space technology & use space tech for national development" isn't a clear goal as no milestones or checkpoints were ever defined here. We wanted to achieve autonomy in satellite building and launching technology which have finally achieved on almost all kind of civil use technologies. Indian space program since then has been in a transition stage with dilemma of competing with great space powers.

Leave alone having a clear goal, it's just been an year that we have a space policy now. We didn't even have anything to govern or assist country's aerospace sector before it.
I although anticipate a clear space policy down the line in few years, either in form one set of long term goals or a number of individually well defined space programs (like for Mars, Moon, Venus and Phobos).

Success of Chnadryaan-3 may (or maybe even not) will lead to formulation of a more clear moon and interplanetary programs of ISRO. Success of Gaganyaan H1 will attract a sudden increase in funds and a more clear & confident national goals like having a space station, permanent manned lab on moon and so forth.
We should give time to government of India for it.
Can't wait to see indian astronauts on the mun
Wait till 2047 unless a new space race begins.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
I foresee space wars already.
The moment someone is able to dig out and bring Minerals home Murica or any nation might ask a policy to equally distribute space resource. This is bound to lead to tension. Hence why Murica has created Space Force.

Abdus Salem killed

I mean space war against who
Only us Russia China Europe Japan India and somewhat Korea matter
us Japan Europe Korea and somewhat india are in one grp vs independent russia with some support from India and then alone is china with some support from China their is never going to be a space war bcs
Chinese and Russians deeply distrust each other

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Although Japan has always been a different case (and they too are limited by their budget), the argument of "attitude of government" is unobjecive and unreasonable. Japanese discipline doesn't train its students to make star wars like ships.
India's entire gap of strategic capabilities against US and China is mostly concentrated on spending abilities (and to some extent experience since India is a newbie in race).

PSUs don't hire random deluded folks. Let me tell you that they have nightmarishly tough screening procedures before recruiting personnel. Slander for laziness is good but Indian system isn't that lazy at all. It has created booming technologies even at times of this country resembled Somalia.

ISRO has funds to develop SCE-200, CALT got funds 3-4 different cycle engines for same role. Indian shipyards are running out of orders, Chinese shipyards are booked for long while both can churn out massive warships. India has given meagre funds to develop just one FGFA AMCA while China has been allocating far much funds, that even for multiple projects.
Might be off topic but more than money it is policy paralysis issue.
And lack of money is not responsible for this.
I foresee space wars already.
The moment someone is able to dig out and bring Minerals home Murica or any nation might ask a policy to equally distribute space resource. This is bound to lead to tension. Hence why Murica has created Space Force.
But after 2030s likely. China is far from inserting a space station in lunar orbit for manned mission unlike US. They will have an SHLV and would have started to practice rendezvous docking around lunar orbit sometime in mid-2030s (India would have entered the stage where China is today). Race might begin then and space budgets of US, China and India too will be increased greatly if not skyrocketed like cold war.

India nevertheless will not be able to land humans on moon before or even near the time of US. If it has to, it will take politicization of issue, $50 billions space budget, industrial repurposing at war level and a direct USvsSoviet style belligerence with US or China (and it still could turn into an accident killing Vyomanauts).
I mean space war against who
Only us Russia China Europe Japan India and somewhat Korea matter
us Japan Europe Korea and somewhat india are in one grp vs independent russia with some support from India and then alone is china with some support from China their is never going to be a space war bcs
Chinese and Russians deeply distrust each other
There is no WW2 style exclusive grouping in space powers

US & Japan are a close collaboration
US & France are a close collaboration
US & Korea are a close collaboration
India & Japan are a close collaboration
India & France are a close collaboration
Japan & France are a close collaboration
India & Russia are a close collaboration
France & Russia are a somewhat a good collaboration
China & Russia are a very strong & synchronised collaboration

US, China & India and Russia to some extent will participate in space race and weaponisation of space.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
PSUs don't hire random deluded folks. Let me tell you that they have nightmarishly tough screening procedures before recruiting personnel. Slander for laziness is good but Indian system isn't that lazy at all. It has created booming technologies even at times of this country resembled Somalia.
I think you have misunderstood the crux of my post. I am not talking about ISRO or PSU hence why I said it might be off topic.
You asked why our competitors are leaving us in the dust, well I am implying it has more to do with sum total of all the industrial and human resource we have.
The likes of China have a draconian method to achieving success which might not be replicable in our Democratic setup so I will take US and Europe into consideration.
Our PSU although being capable aren't the end all be all of our space/aerospace aspiration, they are affected by the well know limitation discussed in plenty throughout the forum.
The western nation has accumulated a vast pool of talent that are organized in sub sectors to giants like SpaceX. The Aerospace giants like Boeing have several sub contactors for each sub component they want to procure who further in turn pool resources from sub contactors. You wont believe but metallic parts made in small workshops end up in the most complex systems of SpaceX/Boeing/LM. It is not unreasonable to think that the USA will maintain its dominance in space even in the decades to come and this comes naturally to them without the need of hard policy direction from the government.
Although Japan has always been a different case (and they too are limited by their budget), the argument of "attitude of government" is unobjecive and unreasonable. Japanese discipline doesn't train its students to make star wars like ships.
I don't think anyone teaches anyone to build star ship but they do educate enough to build a bustling industry whose components and tech end up in the starships anyway. Am I wrong here?
India's entire gap of strategic capabilities against US and China is mostly concentrated on spending abilities (and to some extent experience since India is a newbie in race).
Spending is part of the issue.
But what I'm saying here is that our PSUs have some inherent limitation and that can only been compensated by a ecosystem of Private Industries. And for us to have Private industries we need to have more solid education base.
Our Limitations are inherent our lack of funds are inherent. it is not something that appeared all of a sudden and I have to say that we will continue to lag unless we course correct fast.

At the end of the day I am ranting about a issue which is not immediately associated with our space capability depending upon how you see it

mokoman

Country flag
Well, I don't think "To make Bharat, independent in space technology & use space tech for national development" isn't a clear goal as no milestones or checkpoints were ever defined here. We wanted to achieve autonomy in satellite building and launching technology which have finally achieved on almost all kind of civil use technologies. Indian space program since then has been in a transition stage with dilemma of competing with great space powers.

Leave alone having a clear goal, it's just been an year that we have a space policy now. We didn't even have anything to govern or assist country's aerospace sector before it.
I although anticipate a clear space policy down the line in few years, either in form one set of long term goals or a number of individually well defined space programs (like for Mars, Moon, Venus and Phobos).

Success of Chnadryaan-3 may (or maybe even not) will lead to formulation of a more clear moon and interplanetary programs of ISRO. Success of Gaganyaan H1 will attract a sudden increase in funds and a more clear & confident national goals like having a space station, permanent manned lab on moon and so forth.
We should give time to government of India for it.

hasnt a space race already started . Chinese plan to land on moon . US is returning to the moon .

either way , honestly happy for both. very interesting times ahead.

AnantS

Country flag
.... and they will easily let it go.
Only for the time being. China is already doing demographic invasion in far east of Russia while it may not overtly make noise for now overtly. But this shall become hot potato between Russia and China in not so distant future. Timelines shall further compress - if Russia stagnates and China reaches a point where it no longer needs direct Russia's assistance.

Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
You asked why our competitors are leaving us in the dust, well I am implying it has more to do with sum total of all the industrial and human resource we have.
Agreed. Both industrial and human resources capacity is limited again due to our FINANCES and EXPERIENCE which are a part of long term socio economic development & not any government led social engineering program which can correct course.

I said India has closed gap with everyone except big 3.
I don't think anyone teaches anyone to build star ship but they do educate enough to build a bustling industry whose components and tech end up in the starships anyway. Am I wrong here?
No, Japan just spends more than India on R&D (won't for long though). They have developed better industrial practices but haven't allocated finance to new projects and are now are nowhere in space (at least where they used to be).

Even designing/building a single rocket would require combined function hundreds if not thousands. Brightest person can't magically course correct the program nor he can all of a sudden produce some magical budget. His appeal to superiors for improvement, them convincing government for improvement is hell of a tough task. Japanese education model help us with a better society, spending will help us with more technology.

I'm not saying Japnese education system is not useful in India but yes, it certainly not bring any change in Indian strategic technology. It will come AFTER a change (read Maslow's theory of motivation) and not be a cause of change and that won't happen in a lower middle income country anytime soon. India is already acting far beyond its economic vows.
hasnt a space race already started . Chinese plan to land on moon . US is returning to the moon .

either way , honestly happy for both. very interesting times ahead.
No, when Chinese SHLV is planned later this decade while US is throwing space stations to moon.

A space race in true sense will see crazy budgets and things which usually happen in a couple of decades, happening in few years.
  • 1962: Russians in space
  • 1964: Americans in space
  • 1969: Americans on moon
That was a space race.

Swesh

Agreed. Both industrial and human resources capacity is limited again due to our FINANCES and EXPERIENCE which are a part of long term socio economic development & not any government led social engineering program which can correct course.

I said India has closed gap with everyone except big 3.

No, Japan just spends more than India on R&D (won't for long though). They have developed better industrial practices but haven't allocated finance to new projects and are now are nowhere in space (at least where they used to be).

Even designing/building a single rocket would require combined function hundreds if not thousands. Brightest person can't magically course correct the program nor he can all of a sudden produce some magical budget. His appeal to superiors for improvement, them convincing government for improvement is hell of a tough task. Japanese education model help us with a better society, spending will help us with more technology.

I'm not saying Japnese education system is not useful in India but yes, it certainly not bring any change in Indian strategic technology. It will come AFTER a change (read Maslow's theory of motivation) and not be a cause of change and that won't happen in a lower middle income country anytime soon. India is already acting far beyond its economic vows.

No, when Chinese SHLV is planned later this decade while US is throwing space stations to moon.

A space race in true sense will see crazy budgets and things which usually happen in a couple of decades, happening in few years.
  • 1962: Russians in space
  • 1964: Americans in space
  • 1969: Americans on moon
That was a space race.
Can we go for cleanup of this thread for non related discussion @hit&run @Indx TechStyle move it to isro thread

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles