ISRO General News and Updates

Varoon2

Country flag
Excuse the layman's ignorance, but would there be any major difference between the tankage for LH/LO2, and the Semi-Cryo tankage with Kerosene( or whatever the fuel ) and LO2? Or is it just a matter of changing the fuel. Would any special materials or components have to be developed?

Vamsi

Country flag
Excuse the layman's ignorance, but would there be any major difference between the tankage for LH/LO2, and the Semi-Cryo tankage with Kerosene( or whatever the fuel ) and LO2? Or is it just a matter of changing the fuel. Would any special materials or components have to be developed?
It depends mainly on many factors like type of fuel used, fuel density, temperature, Mixture ratio of the engine etc. For example, Density of LH2 is very low ,hence it requires a Large tank , also it requires excessive thermal coating to prevent LH2 from boiling. For kerosene, its density is less than LH2 hence it requires small tank. Hence dry weight of LH2/LOX stage is very high than a Kerosene /LOX stage

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
LOX tank should be same in both Cryo and Semi-cryo, except for size, which is bigger in semi-cryo in case of GSLV.
Liquid Hydrogen tank, though, is much more challenging. Especially if built for upper stages, because of the fact that hydrogen liquifies at much lower tempereatures, causes embrittlement and is hard to store due to it being the smallest atom making it easier to diffuse right through your container's material. Insulation of the Liquid Hydrogen tank from all heat sources to prevent Hydrogen boil-off is a big problem, especially in cryogenic upper stages that get exposed to direct solar and other space radiation without convection to rely on as a heat sink. Kerosene is much easier by comparison.

Gessler

Country flag
ISRO is considering developing a next-generation astronomical satellite to follow up on its AstroSat mission

ISRO’s first mission dedicated for astronomy, AstroSat, launched on 28 September 2015 with its design life of five years, on Tuesday completed six years of its operation. “It (AstroSat) is expected to last some more years”, A S Kiran Kumar who as the then Chairman of ISRO led the mission team, and is presently serving as the chair of the apex science committee at the space agency, told PTI. “We can expect some more results to come which will be path-breaking”, he said.

Astrosat also has (or at least used to have) one of the better public outreach programs regarding the collected data. There used to be a "Astrosat Picture of the Month" release on the ISRO site every month detailing some amazing photos & observations made by various national & international researchers using the sat's data.

But for some reason it stopped - I wonder why, considering the Sat is still in operation.

Vamsi

Country flag
This pic was from a presentation given by Gaganyaan project director.
ISRO is planning to develop a space habbitat after manned launch. They are gonna demonstrate the space habbitat after the manned mission and later docking using the Gaganyaan spacecraft

IMG_20211009_091339.jpg

Vamsi

Country flag
@Gessler @fire starter @Indx TechStyle @Hariharan_kalarikkal @FalconSlayers @Haldilal
I have an interesting observation here . Chandrayaan-3 is supposed to be GSLV-MK3 M2 flight and if this commercial launch is M3 flight, then the next M4 must use SC120 Semi-Cryo stage as per this presentation of Dr.S Somanath. So can we expect a Semi-Cryo based GSLV-MK3 launch as early as 2023. Also GSAT-20 another I-6K class satellite is supposed to be launched by GSLV-MK3.
FBGN0OuVkAoF7hD.jpeg

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
This pic was from a presentation given by Gaganyaan project director.
ISRO is planning to develop a space habbitat after manned launch. They are gonna demonstrate the space habbitat after the manned mission and later docking using the Gaganyaan spacecraft

View attachment 113838
Don't know whether to be happy or sad. Its inflatable. Is ISRO that afraid of advancing our ring-forging capability from the current 4 meters to 10 meters? I mean, we'll need it at some point, right? After all, in the 2030s, we should be targeting to build our own moon rocket, probably one on the lines of Starship and Superheavy.

Last edited:

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
@Gessler @fire starter @Indx TechStyle @Hariharan_kalarikkal @FalconSlayers @Haldilal
I have an interesting observation here . Chandrayaan-3 is supposed to be GSLV-MK3 M2 flight and if this commercial launch is M3 flight, then the next M4 must use SC120 Semi-Cryo stage as per this presentation of Dr.S Somanath. So can we expect a Semi-Cryo based GSLV-MK3 launch as early as 2023. Also GSAT-20 another I-6K class satellite is supposed to be launched by GSLV-MK3.View attachment 113844
In 2019, they said SCE-200 will be ready by 2022 and thereafter trials, make it highly unlikely to be launched in 2023.
And then, corona has 1.5 years of ISRO since then.

Akula

Country flag
Don't know whether to be happy or sad. Its inflatable. Is ISRO that afraid of advancing our ring-forging capability from the current 4 meters to 10 meters? I mean, we'll need it at some point, right? After all, in the 2030s, we should be targeting to build our own moon rocket, probably one on the lines of Starship and Superheavy.
This video is from China and it's around 2 years old. They are making 10m ring.
Do we have plans for bigger hydraulic forging machines? I read comments in AMCA thread about forging machines and there use in building aero structures.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
This video is from China and it's around 2 years old. They are making 10m ring.
Do we have plans for bigger hydraulic forging machines? I read comments in AMCA thread about forging machines and there use in building aero structures.
Yeah. China is planning to have a Moon Rocket by 2030, its for that.
Don't think there is any program to have those large forging machines in India yet, sadly. Lets see if a requirement comes up from DRDO/ISRO in 5 years or so.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles