INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Stop foul mouthing INSAS rifle.

This rifle after a period of gestation has reached its maturity. It works under all climate conditions. Dump the old reports which the fanboys keep quoting. This rifle works fine as good as M-16. The latter also jams under some conditions. Other columnist who foul mouth INSAS are paid by arms merchants to write all the odd things about it.

Imagine these very writers writing bad things about miserable F35 plane which is ten years late and 1200% cost overrun. If anybody foul mouths F35, he or she will loose their jobs quietly.

About the INSAS rifle, it was ninties era mistake of the top army brass to opt for 5.56 rifle and in semi automatic format. Army is trying to correct its mistake by blaming sometime the manufacture, sometime the design and most of the time it's semi automatic status. Two of the three above are army mistakes which they are trying to correct without admitting it. The manufacture defects are purely not upgrading the manufacture early enough at factory level, rather using FAL production machinery and metallurgy to produce it in bulk. It should have been corrected in nineties but was corrected in early part of this century.

Now the problems have been corrected, but foul mouthing continues.

The Excaliber rifle by the same factories is an excellent rifle but still 5.56 category. It is fully automatic and it passed all tests which the imported prototypes failed. But the Army will not accept it wholeheartedly, but somewhat in a Luke warm manner. Excaliber does not correct Army's 5.56 mistake, done under US propaganda of versatility of 5.56 round to badly injure and not kill and put a huge pressure on the soldiers' mates to carry him back for medical treatment. In fact, the current crop of terrorists taught Indian army a lesson or two that automatic format is definitely better and 7.62 format still better over 5.56. It kills with gusto. That is what the soldier wants when facing a terrorist.

So the army demanded a multi caliber rifle, which will fire three different type of rounds. No other army in the world has multicaliber rifle as a standard infantry man's weapon. But Indian Army is going for it. Three manufacturer's prototypes did not succeed in tests recently, so Indian army is back to the drawing board.

Now the pressure is on to grudgingly introduce Excaliber rifle and develop further an Indian version of multi caliber rifle. It is likely that both will succeed. Indian army in five years have Indian version Excaliber - an upgraded INSAS and an Indian version of multi caliber rifle.

What a costly mistake the military brass of nineties made. It is an $8 billion mistake. It is being corrected now. But it puzzles everybody that army chose to foul mouth INSAS first and then admit their judgemental mistake.

Cheers

Awesome. Actually we need some weapon like M series of US which can reach the forehead of our enemy before our our enemy's bullet can rich our enemy. I think the 5.56 is a right caliber. If we can have a rifle with some more range than it is very good. We can shoot enemy first.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Even INSAS is a better weapon then AK in its own sense. Let me describe how. If you do have a situation where you want to put a couple of rounds dead in the target at a range of 500m, then you would definitely want INSAS in your hand then an AK. But if you are bound in a dirt pit and want a gun to fire and keep the enemy heads down then there is none better then AK.
Point is, you simply can't compare two different weapon system on all the parameters. One does do a job better then other while the other exceeds the first one in another parameter. Where accuracy and range is concerned, INSAS is a better choice over AK, whereas in the department of robustness and reliability to fire, none comes anywhere near AK.
Strike of AK will be Lethal while that of INSAS may not kill enemy.

guru-dutt

Awesome. Actually we need some weapon like M series of US which can reach the forehead of our enemy before our our enemy's bullet can rich our enemy. I think the 5.56 is a right caliber. If we can have a rifle with some more range than it is very good. We can shoot enemy first.
Hari bhai prnaam

what we need is a bullpup version on excalibur with 18 inch chrome-vanadium plated barrel with at least three piccatenni rails and thats it... in short a "sastaa uttam aur tikau jugar"

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag

First look at MCIWS with a foldable stock
How come the gas block is back to 90 deg, couple of months back weren't there pics of MCIWS with 45 deg angle. If I recollect the pic was where MoS Inderjeet singh was holding MCIWS.

guru-dutt

Strike of AK will be Lethal while that of INSAS may not kill enemy.
AK's 7.62X39 ammo is great as for stopping power but kicks like a mule/donkey + it looses its direction and speed anything over 150m but 5.56X45 works great for long and medium range (250-650m)as well only down side is its stopping power thats why new ammo of 6.82X43mm is designed as it has almost same stopping power on 7.62 but has range and accuracy of 5.56

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
Hari bhai prnaam

what we need is a bullpup version on excalibur with 18 inch chrome-vanadium plated barrel with at least three piccatenni rails and thats it... in short a "sastaa uttam aur tikau jugar"
right. We have always remained a looser on material part. Avinash chander also said the same that we need to focus on Material. Whether it is SCB of kaveri or silicon materials to make chips. We lag behind in this area. Sahi kaha aapne. We should invest more in R & D. We should build a rifle like M series of US with a less expensive cost, it should fire 100 to 200 M further than AK. We may use 5.56 mm round with some additional length and steel cap to increase panitration. I want Ex caliber bullet to reach Porki heads before their bullet reach our soldiers.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
AK's 7.62X39 ammo is great as for stopping power but kicks like a mule/donkey + it looses its direction and speed anything over 150m but 5.56X45 works great for long and medium range (250-650m)as well only down side is its stopping power thats why new ammo of 6.82X43mm is designed as it has almost same stopping power on 7.62 but has range and accuracy of 5.56
Wah kya badhiya baat kahi hai sir ji. It is a trade off between AKs and INSAS. our excaliber shall have all 3 barrels.

guru-dutt

right. We have always remained a looser on material part. Avinash chander also said the same that we need to focus on Material. Whether it is SCB of kaveri or silicon materials to make chips. We lag behind in this area. Sahi kaha aapne. We should invest more in R & D. We should build a rifle like M series of US with a less expensive cost, it should fire 100 to 200 M further than AK. We may use 5.56 mm round with some additional length and steel cap to increase panitration. I want Ex caliber bullet to reach Porki heads before their bullet reach our soldiers.
thing is owr education system has made us totally burry the R&D and using it like what USA does here R&D is considerred as an luxury while most students want to become engineers so to get respectable jobs and what ever research is done owr industrial policy is like most industrial houses only want to make profit on tried and tested R&D done by some one else

same thing has filterred in DRDO + the corruption and "chalta hai attitude"

but as for mass produced assult rifle what we need is a 5.56X45mm light wiaght bullpup variant on excalibur which should be good enof to hit targets in range of 450m

Chinmoy

Country flag
I think 6.5 grendel would be more user friendly then 6.8 round. We should work towards incorporating both these rounds in future.

guru-dutt

I think 6.5 grendel would be more user friendly then 6.8 round. We should work towards incorporating both these rounds in future.
but thing is money + what we can do about the existing stock of 5.56ammo ? personally i dont think this multi cal rifle is of any use its better to have a single cal ammo for all the assult rifles which can also be used for belt fed machine guns like what NATO nations do too much variety is also bad specially in our circumstances

hardip

You could have simply given each of them a pair of spectacles if that was the case.

Just kidding...I would also have personally preferred an EOTech holo as standard issue. But as you said something is better than nothing. It does kinda tickle me because the Bundeswehr would use similar reddots as a secondary optic for close range;

That said, I'm not sure if the IA would really equip it's entire infantry with the same reddot scope. We will
certainly have holos and ACOG-type scopes as well.
German Engenering all time.. Great.. G36 Rifle is The One of that Example.

Twinblade

Country flag

MCIWS with folding stock displayed at Indian Science Congress Mysuru. Pic courtesy DRDO.
The above clears the doubts whether the MCIWS is derived from the M-16 family with buffer spring in stock.

*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62*61-62

Chinmoy

Country flag
but thing is money + what we can do about the existing stock of 5.56ammo ? personally i dont think this multi cal rifle is of any use its better to have a single cal ammo for all the assult rifles which can also be used for belt fed machine guns like what NATO nations do too much variety is also bad specially in our circumstances
As I mentioned earlier, we should use 5.56 in CQB operations instead of 9mm rounds. Instead of going for MINSAS, we should have made use of standard 5.56x45 rounds. These would have been cost effective for us.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles