INSAS Rifle, LMG & Carbine

The Last Stand

Country flag
How heavy is it? A 7.62x51 gun will produce a heck of a lot more recoil than an INSAS, and weight matters a lot then.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Is this the same rifle which was loudly rejected by the Army a few weeks back, calling it too loud and high muzzle flash?

Dump that guy who rejected this rifle in favor of imports into a dumpsters.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Galil and other failed in trails in India before, For a service rifle it does not matter how it looks and feels to one but should work where it must ..

Give a read to the thread ..

================

I had a chat with some people i know, The officer who fired the rifle also talked a lot of other details, besides most men are accustomed to fires 5.56mm and 7.62x39mm and not used to with 7.62x51mm anymore, Anyone from such a back ground will feel more recoil and in close firing range the sound will be higher ..

Anyways a lot of irreverent words are cooked up ..

Director General of Infantry , Lt Gen YK Joshi firing the new 7.62mm*51mm assault rifle during trials . According to sources , the rifle has met all the expectations . Joshi sir was surprised with its accuracy . He mentioned that the gun is par with global guns in term of technology . Any global guns of this capability would cost 1lakh per piece but here it would cost 50,000 only . The 4kg rifle has a range of 500 meters and will soon be offered to Infantry school in Mhow . — with Fahad Muslimveetil.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/IndianDefenceAtItsBest/photos/?ref=page_internal

In response, in a letter to NDTV, Dr U Mukherjee, the spokesperson of the gun manufacturer, said that a top Army General fired the rifle during trials and it delivered like a dream.
Our Rifle Works Flawlessly, Thanks: Government Manufacturer Takes On Army

=================

Ghatak is 7.62x39mm, This rifle has no names yet ..

Is this the same rifle which was loudly rejected by the Army a few weeks back, calling it too loud and high muzzle flash?

I think Galil ACE (under Make in India) would be a better choice rather than opting this motley mixture.]
Omighosh! this video of OFB Ghaatak is owesome. I have predicted cardiac arrest for some person a few page back. This video will make them BP high. Rest assured.

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Country flag

Army has not rejected it as RFP has not been released. That means specs have not been finalised.

Those were speculative reports.

Anyways a rifle should not judged just by its looks. Let it go thru full testing.

Kchontha

Country flag

Short review, But one of the best on Indian small arm by an Indian out there, these are prototypes, First 20, New butt-stock is FAB originated, It shows the rifle`s adaptability with various butt-stocks, I prefer metal ..
This new OFB Ghaatak 7.62×51 battle rifle has a ultra modern foldable and adjustable but stock which will be quite handy and comfortable for tall indian soldiers ( e.g. north westerners) as well as shorter indian soldiers like north esterner. Though the rifle used SLR magazine as of now (being in protyping stage) it can change to a ultra brand new one as it developed. The rifle's recoil will be less than other comparable weapon system of its class because DRDO is providing better muzzle brake. Above all the rifle firing mechanism is derived from INSAS which is very familiar to Indian soldiers. Altogether this rifle will be a class of its own when fully develops in the near future. This rifle will be far more suitable for the Indian army than any other foreign rifle or foreign rifle make in India in terms of reliability and cost. Just wait and see. Rest assured.

Kay

Country flag
This is a new information for me. I was thinking that this OFB rifle will replace all the INSAS in the infantry units. MCIWS is far better in design (with its machined parts, pistol grip, & ambidextrous features) and in my opinion this platform can be further developed into DMR with longer barrel length, bi-pods, & sights. What is the status of MCIWS trials? Can you share some information regarding that.?
How much important is the ambidextrous features of assault rifles in actual warfare?

The Last Stand

Country flag
How much important is the ambidextrous features of assault rifles in actual warfare?
Ambidextrous rifles are much more comfortable for left-handed shooters to use. I'm not sure you can quantify that in terms of effectiveness in combat.

Hari Sud

Country flag
Why is this Rifle being called as Ghatak, when it is not. Some uneducated military story writer in one of these sites called it Ghatak. Since then, the cut and paste souls in all forums and websites have started to call it Ghatak.

Trololo

Country flag
This is a new information for me. I was thinking that this OFB rifle will replace all the INSAS in the infantry units. MCIWS is far better in design (with its machined parts, pistol grip, & ambidextrous features) and in my opinion this platform can be further developed into DMR with longer barrel length, bi-pods, & sights. What is the status of MCIWS trials? Can you share some information regarding that.?
What happened to the MCIWS btw? No news about it.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011

The video is posted in last page, I took some screenshots ..

=========

MICIWS will go through plenty of changes and is already doing so as new features are being requested in it, Excalibur and Ghatak were always meant as mid term solution..

========

Read the thread, At least few last pages before bumping in between ..

What happened to the MCIWS btw? No news about it.

new video on OFB 7.62X51MM ASSAULT RIFLE

looks good
View attachment 18312
The Israelis are 5 years ahead of us, the above came out in 2012 while the OFB in 2017.

Looks exactly the same as one made by OFB.

Kay

Country flag
Ambidextrous rifles are much more comfortable for left-handed shooters to use. I'm not sure you can quantify that in terms of effectiveness in combat.
I think you got my question wrong. Some modern rifles have features to make rifles ambidextrous in the battlefield without use of tools. My question was - is it worth the money? If they be configured to be used by a left handed person by using tools, isn't that good enough?

Articles