INSAS Indian Small Arms System

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackhammer2

Country flag
Let have a stab at this from what I recall. Night vision IR rifle scopes originally required an IR source to illuminate the target. Later technology, e.g. "Starlight" scopes had the ability to gather very low levels of ambient light to see the target. Thermal imagery passively acquires IR radiation from a target. What I don't know are the specifications in terms of range.

Night vision - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Thanx for the reply sir but I have another question so does it show the thermal signature of the Target too.and how does you rate this sight out 10

Ordnance Factory Board

And do we count the length of the flash hider too when counting the Barrel Length??

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Thanx for the reply sir but I have another question so does it show the thermal signature of the Target too.
And do we count the length of the flash hider too when counting the Barrel Length??
Thermal sight, It see body heat so does any-other heat source, Better than NV..

No..

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Thanx for the reply sir but I have another question so does it show the thermal signature of the Target too.and how does you rate this sight out 10

Ordnance Factory Board

Infrared signature - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The term infrared signature is used by defense scientists and the military to describe the appearance of objects to infrared sensors. An infrared signature depends on many factors, including the shape and size of the object,[1] temperature[2] and emissivity, reflection of external sources (earthshine, sunshine, skyshine) from the object's surface,[3] the background against which it is viewed[4] and the waveband of the detecting sensor. As such there is no all-encompassing definition of infrared signature nor any trivial means of measuring it. For example the infrared signature of a truck viewed against a field will vary significantly with changing weather, time of day and engine loading.
I would like to have that OFB scope.

Don't know about length of barrel with or W/O flash hider. To me the barrel length is important insofar as where the rifling is.

I remember night firing on the range with only iron sights. We were trained to look past the front sight, not at it, so the focus was on the target.

jackhammer2

Country flag
Thermal sight, It see body heat so does any-other heat source, Better than NV..

No..
Thanx for the reply sir I knew about Thermal sights but to my knowledge majority of thermal sights are nothing else but a camera which gives thermal signatures rather than normal view with Zoom in option This is the first time I am seeing a telescopic Thermal sight which I think is really a nice development ( If I am not wrong there are two versions of this thing one for Assault rifle and other for Machine gun any reason why they don't comes other the standard package of an infantary man and how much this thing costs?)

Here is one Thermal sight T14 mini weapon sight its as delicate as a Barbie and costs around $10K.

thermal infrared weapon sight, thermal rifle scope

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If I am not wrong there are two versions of this thing one for Assault rifle and other for Machine gun any reason why they don't comes other the standard package of an infantary man and how much this thing costs?)

Here is one Thermal sight T14 mini weapon sight its as delicate as a Barbie and costs around $10K.

thermal infrared weapon sight, thermal rifle scope
Same type for both platforms..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I remember night firing on the range with only iron sights. We were trained to look past the front sight, not at it, so the focus was on the target.
Putting a lamp at the target and use tracer rounds.. fun indeed.. :cool2:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

pmaitra

Proposed INSAS Bullpup Configuration

Blue Arrow Left: Collapsible mono-pod.
Blue Arrow Right: Empty case ejector.
Red Arrow Left: Needs wood or fibre grip over metal mono-pod housing.
Red Arrow Right: Needs modification of handle for thumb guard.

Note:
  • Overall length of the rifle has been kept unchanged so as to facilitate a longer barrel.
  • The empty case ejector is downwards and is about 45 mm long. The length of an empty is case is 39 mm. Should be enough.

pmaitra

^^^

The length should reduce...

No, the length of the rifle should stay the same so that the length of the barrel can be increased so as to match the accuracy of the INSAS LMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles