INS Vishal (IAC- II) Aircraft Carrier - Flattop or Ski Jump

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
Very soon, US Navy will include Railgun ver. 1 in their next. gen. Destroyers, making Aircraft carriers bye bye. You think Chinkies donot know this, @garg_bharat!! Then why are they still building ACs? It does not work like that..
I remember a spat on twitter between a Paki & a Sanghi on tactical missile power when the Sanghi closed the argument stating India has 70 crore males each having a tactical missile dangling in between legs..enough to blast every Paki hole many times over.

Superdefender

I remember a spat on twitter between a Paki & a Sanghi on tactical missile power when the Sanghi closed the argument stating India has 70 crore males each having a tactical missile dangling in between legs..enough to blast every Paki hole many times over.
Could not get your statement!! What do you want to say?

archie

Country flag
More airstrips in Andmans and couple of bases in middle east and north Africa solves the problem. India should talk to Bahrain.
When an moving air field can be hit with ease according to you .. how do you think an unmovable airfield fare??

I am only being rational .. An A/C is a potent diplomacy vehicle in peace time and a big potential in war time.. we are going to spend 90 % of the time of the life of A/C in peace time even if war happens

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Please...be realistic. We're lucky if we get a whole squadron of Tejas Mk-2 for IAF by 2025.
I heard the Tejas MK 2 program silently cancelled, and ADA continue works on MK 1 A to make it superior platform.

Instead of going for MK 2 ..IAF thinks AMCA is better, Still Navy only left who plans for MK 2

Sourabh Joshi is the source

Superdefender

I heard the Tejas MK 2 program silently cancelled, and ADA continue works on MK 1 A to make it superior platform.

Instead of going for MK 2 ..IAF thinks AMCA is better, Still Navy only left who plans for MK 2

I knew it that mk. 2 would be cancelled. Mk. 2 should only go to Navy, aka, N-Tejas.

sasum

Atheist but not Communists.
When an moving air field can be hit with ease according to you .. how do you think an unmovable airfield fare??
Everything needs to be seen & judged in right perspctive. If an AC hit by a cruise missile sinks, we lose crores of rupees worth of military assets, not to speak of human lives which can not be made good in a decade. If a missile hits an island in A&N the damage is not that serious. Besides, floating airbases are meant for international super-cops like US which has to project power far from their shores without bothering about counter-attack. Can any nation dare hit an US vessel? Even Russia, which has all the technology at its command maintains just one AC, because it doesn't need to do policing around the world. Italy has two small ACs, Britain, France one each but they are part of overall NATO assets. Btw, AC is more like a white elephant for a 3rd world country like ours :tongue:

delta

Country flag
Everything needs to be seen & judged in right perspctive. If an AC hit by a cruise missile sinks, we lose crores of rupees worth of military assets, not to speak of human lives which can not be made good in a decade. If a missile hits an island in A&N the damage is not that serious. Besides, floating airbases are meant for international super-cops like US which has to project power far from their shores without bothering about counter-attack. Can any nation dare hit an US vessel? Even Russia, which has all the technology at its command maintains just one AC, because it doesn't need to do policing around the world. Italy has two small ACs, Britain, France one each but they are part of overall NATO assets. Btw, AC is more like a white elephant for a 3rd world country like ours :tongue:
Not really a white elephant. If we were to go by that logic, INS Vikrant (the old one) should never have been purchased, and we'd not be able to stifle east pakistan as quickly during the 71 war.

Naval power projection is meant to serve the nation's interests in far off areas, and that can never be achieved by a submarine as effectively as an aircraft carrier. think about operation cactus, or the IPKF intervention, or even the recent mass evacuations in yemen. while carriers were not used in these ops, the point still remains that surface ships were required, and submarines would have been a pretty useless choice in these cases.

a submarine is an offensive weapon required only when it comes to attacking a rival fleet, or launching missiles, or launching special forces. however, the navy's role extends far beyond that, and it's for that matter the aircraft carrier assumes a high importance.

Gessler

Country flag
Realistic!! If I give you the source, then ???
Dude, now don't make me laugh.

I don't need no third party source, have it from the horse's mouth :

The LCA Tejas Mk 2 will be available for testing by 2017 and will not be ready before 2024,INN reported, citing DRDO chief Dr S Christoper's statements to Vayu Aerospace and Defence Review.
http://www.ibtimes.co.in/lca-tejas-mk-2-testing-by-2017-drdo-chief-667693

So according to the DRDO chief, the Tejas Mk 2 will be "ready for induction" by 2024. Means just received the clearances. Like one year from there on, we may have a squadron ready. And all that is according to the DRDO's best & most optimistic estimations.

If you've been following the defence news for atleast an year, you'd know by now that their estimations count for next to nothing. Don't even expect to have the Naval Mk-2 ready before 2025-2026.

Gessler

Country flag

LOL, yeah we'll see about that.

Problem is that Mk.1A is meant to be mainly an electronics upgrade to Mk.1 but the fact of matter is that electronics are not the only problem plaguing IAF/IN. We need better performance first.

That's why we already placed orders for the F414 engines meant to go onboard Mk-2.

That said, I've never heard of any journo called Sourabh Joshi. Is he any good?

delta

Country flag
i'd said this earlier too, Tejas Mk1 to poora theek se aaya hai nahi abhi, Mk2 to bohot door hai. aur AMCA ke sapne kyun dekh rahe hain hum? ab uske upar N-AMCA ki baat to mat hi karo yaar! :facepalm:

Superdefender

Dude, now don't make me laugh.

I don't need no third party source, have it from the horse's mouth :

http://www.ibtimes.co.in/lca-tejas-mk-2-testing-by-2017-drdo-chief-667693

So according to the DRDO chief, the Tejas Mk 2 will be "ready for induction" by 2024. Means just received the clearances. Like one year from there on, we may have a squadron ready. And all that is according to the DRDO's best & most optimistic estimations.

If you've been following the defence news for atleast an year, you'd know by now that their estimations count for next to nothing. Don't even expect to have the Naval Mk-2 ready before 2025-2026.
It looks like you will make a laughing stock of me even if I provide the link for AMCA timeline. Rather I shall advise you to contact/message an elite member of this forum who is much more knowledgable than you.

Superdefender

@Gessler, contact Sajiv Jino directly and ask him about the AMCA timeline. If he replies negatively to what I had said before, then you will win.

Gessler

Country flag
It looks like you will make a laughing stock of me even if I provide the link for AMCA timeline. Rather I shall advise you to contact/message an elite member of this forum who is much more knowledgable than you.
Yes, bring all the clairvoyants together.

And god save all the people out there who actually seem to be believe that ADA, HAL, DRDO can develop an AMCA out of thin air...even without developing Mk-2 Tejas as a stepping stone.

I'm sure it's just wishful thinking at this point...so why stop there? Let's also imagine that HAL will be test-flying a sixth-generation fighter by the same time or even before the US does it.

Gessler

Country flag
@Gessler, contact Sajiv Jino directly and ask him about the AMCA timeline. If he replies negatively to what I had said before, then you will win.
I didn't know Sajeev bhai was a clairvoyant and an aviation expert combined!

You hear that, @SajeevJino ?

Please provide the said AMCA timeline. And would you also care to tell us HOW this timeline is going to be maintained?

Superdefender

I didn't know Sajeev bhai was a clairvoyant and an aviation expert combined!

You hear that, @SajeevJino ?

Please provide the said AMCA timeline. And would you also care to tell us HOW this timeline is going to be maintained?
Man, he is not now present. He was viewing this thread some hours ago when we were arguing. I suggest you to go to his blog. Google "Life of soldier - Update on AMCA". As far as how the timeline is possible, you have to ask him directly. He always say that he has reliable info!

Global Defence

New threads

Articles