INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

bsn4u1985

i cant get u clearly pls be precise.
We don't test a nuclear reactor meant for sub on a destroyer, obviously this would be a learning curve, the french want to pursue nuclear propulsion to guard their strategic autonomy.
The russians had equipped their heavy cruisers and destroyers with nuclear propulsion and were on the verge of leap frog to nuclear propulsion for their carriers when the state collapsed.
The Us navy that reportedly has forward capability maintains a strategic reserve of fuel thats oil that can run down its economy for 3 years minimum. This gives it the opportunity to wage war even against the middle east without compromising their fighting power. Japan rammed down south asia to find sources of oil to fuel its war efforts.
in case india went to war against pakistan and the whole middle east gets sucked in and issues an oil embargo against india, v would have to make an embarrasing retreat and cease-fire due to non-operational fleets. So its essential for us to build a nuclear powered strategic force that would be operational on all occasions and make do with our domestic oil reserves. A nuclear fuel reserve is relatively easy to build than an oil reserve due to low cost of fuel and easier management of the reserve.
i must say that this cannot be possible..if this will be possible then india can't do anything......not just military but also it will affect general life....but i will say yes.....nuclear option is the future.....for all over the world not just india.....

icecoolben

i must say that this cannot be possible..if this will be possible then india can't do anything......not just military but also it will affect general life....but i will say yes.....nuclear option is the future.....for all over the world not just india.....
contribute to the forum mate than being the jury.
Not all the world aspires to be super powers nor do they have the resources. Only certain states vie for power among themselves in regions thats are not contiguous to their territories those powers require such capability

bsn4u1985

be cool dude!!!!.........i am just showing my opinion among this subject.................

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Cos, i can't make out ur answers, that makes u a bad jury.
Practice before you preach. You don't follow forum rules.

Defence Forum Of India | DFI | - Forum Rules

17. Proper punctuation is a must. Do not add excessive dots as a replacement for a comma. this....isn't really....fun..to read. also watch the spelling. [Its hrd 2 reed whn peple tipe poorly, its also trashy! This will make posts much nicer, neat and easy to read for fellow participants. This isn't done on most forums, its time you get use to it here.

icecoolben

I'm not writing an editorial buddy, but i'll try to be as clear as i can. Typos i'll try to make out.

plugwater

First indigenous aircraft carrier to be launched next year: Navy chief

India's first indigenous aircraft carrier, the IAC, will be launched next year and commissioned in 2014, navy chief Admiral Nirmal Verma said at his maiden navy week press conference on Wednesday.

Admiral Verma said price negotiations for aircraft carrier Vikramaditya (formerly known as Admiral Gorshkov) were in their fourth and final stages but would not like to guess when the issue over the cost escalation would be decided.

He hinted that the second aircraft carrier (IAC-2) which is to follow will be of a different type. "We are re-looking at the design. It won't be a copy of what we have today," Verma said.

The keel of the 40,000 ton IAC was laid down by Defence Minister A.K. Antony at the Cochin shipyard in February this year. The first two MiG-29Ks are to be shipped from Russia in completely knocked down condition. It is to be the primary carrier-borne fighter aircraft for both the Vikramaditya and the IAC.

Verma said he had been assured by the DRDO that the LCA's naval variant would be ready for carrier trials by 2013 and for deployment on the Gorshkov/Vikramaditya as well as the IAC. He said the navy was doing a concept study 'for more capable carrier-borne aircraft' for the IAC-2.

Concepts currently being examined by the Directorate of Naval Design for the IAC-2 are for a conventionally powered carrier displacing over 50,000 tons and equipped with steam catapults (rather than the ski-jump on the Gorshkov/Vikramaditya and the IAC) to launch fourth generation aircraft.

Senior naval officials denied knowledge of receiving feelers for the sale of one of two Queen Elizabeth class aircraft carriers currently being built for the Royal Navy. A UK newspaper reported that budget cuts had forced the UK to sell off one of the 65,000 ton carriers which cost 2 billion pounds.

Officials said that the navy's sole aircraft carrier, the INS Viraat which completes 50 years of service this year is due for another inspection by 2013 to assess the life remaining in the hull.

The former HMS Hermes was acquired from Britain in 1987 and was to serve only for five years after which she would be replaced by two indigenous aircraft carriers in the early 1990s. However, a decade-long delays in the IAC programme meant that the carrier had to serve for another two decades
First indigenous aircraft carrier to be launched next year: Navy chief: India Today - Latest Breaking News from India, World, Business, Cricket, Sports, Bollywood.

Tamil

Country flag
^^^

:icon_salut:Great to hear it. and the 2nd one is a 50kt+ with stream catapults is also a great news. i love to see them on IO. i think ADC-3 should be a 75kt+ is better one. what you think guys:dfi-1:

Rage

DFI TEAM
That is better than the 2015 timeframe the media had projekted. Kudos to the Navy. Here's hoping it comes promptly to fruition.

Any idea what month the launch is expected for?

K Factor

A Concerned Indian
Isn't it too good to be true? I mean I am not a pessimist, but India's first indigenous aircraft carrier being built in less than two years sounds too good to be true or feasible or possible (tack your pick). Hell, even the American shipyards don't churn em out that fast.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
^^Yes, I too feel that this is too good to believe but I love if I'm proved wrong.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Well I still doubt that. We launch ships on time but induction always takes time. I dont know why.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Isn't it too good to be true? I mean I am not a pessimist, but India's first indigenous aircraft carrier being built in less than two years sounds too good to be true or feasible or possible (tack your pick). Hell, even the American shipyards don't churn em out that fast.
I believe it shall be merely a floating out of the hull; with the fittings of electrionics and auxiliaries happening later.much of the work on the usperstructure shall also be done in the intervening years i.e by late 2012.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Something inetersting i found:

apparently at the time of independence the IN was planned to be a six carrier force; that was later curtailed due to financial constraints,i'm hoping that becomes a reality in the future.:)

Historical Background

At the time of Independence, the Royal Indian Navy (RIN) comprised a modest, motley force of approximately 32 ships which included sloops, corvettes, frigates, inshore minesweepers and harbour defence launches. However, within a week of the country attaining Independence, an ‘Outline Plan for the Re-organisation and development of the RIN’ had been prepared by the Naval Headquarters (NHQ). This was a 15-year-plan to be completed by 1963 and had at its core a fleet centered around four fleet carriers, two light fleet carriers, four cruisers, 16 destroyers, three frigates, 16 submarines, 128 fighter aircraft and another 128 strike aircraft and a host of auxiliary vessels, patrol boats, minesweepers etc. Financial constraints and the need for national development and social welfare forced the navy to drastically restructure its plan. This resulted in the formulation of a fresh plan, popularly termed ‘Plan Paper 1’. This plan retained the core capabilities and was structured around two aircraft carriers.

Source:
Still Waters Run Deep
Moving beyond the Red Square days
By Vice Admiral J.S. Bedi (retd)
FORCE - A Complete News Magazine on National Security - Defence Magazine

samar

can anyone tell me what s the present status of the indigenous aircraft carrier

Global Defence

New threads

Articles