INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

plugwater

Another old article.............Sorry, the plan has change from making two or three identical IAC's. To one IAC (1) to be followed by a much larger and totally new design.
Article is dated from 2007 and makes no mention of the Larger IAC-2. Which, is a completely new and enlarged design. Likely that was the planned date of the second IAC. That was of the same design and the current IAC-1. Even then its was optimistic at best.
Any reliable source to support your claim that initially IAC-1 and IAC-2 were of same displacement? what i heard was from the beginning itself navy planned to build the IAC-2 much bigger than IAC-1

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Well, I would like to see a good reliable source that supports your claims then..........
Regarding naval PAK-FA
The carrier's air wing is to comprise 26 new Mikoyan-Gurevich MiG-29K Fulcrum-D multi-role fighter aircraft, helicopters and navalized Sukhoi T-50 PAK FA (Future Frontline Aircraft System) fifth-generation fighters, currently under development.
link
Regarding naval MCA aka AMCA aka NGFA
The "next-generation" MCA would have a naval version, too, that would be capable of taking off from and landing on the deck of an aircraft carrier.
link
Regarding Navy plans for IAC-2
The Indian Navy has floated a Request for Information (RFI) for a newer generation of aircraft which can operate from the two indigenous aircraft carriers it will commission over the next 10 years.

The US Boeing and French Dassault have confirmed receipt of the RFI for their respective F18 Super Hornet and Rafale.
link
Regarding commonality between Indian IAC and new Russian carriers
Russian aircraft carrier will not compete in size with the American ships. It will be a nuclear aircraft carrier with the displacement of bout 50 thousand tons with around 30 planes and helicopters.
link
The Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Nirmal Verma, indicated in December 2009 that the IAC-II would be sizeably larger than the IAC-I, with a displacement of 50,000 tons.1 It would also have a more modern launch system, either via steam catapult or, as some as yet unconfirmed rumours have suggested, an EMALS (Electromagnetic Aircraft System).
link
-----------------

After recollecting all these sources(on demand) i discovered, how hard it is to spoon-feed a grown-up, good bless mommies, they have to feed only kids?

neo29

Was the IAC-2 given a nod after india's interest in buying Queen Elizabeth class carrier from UK was refused ????

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Indian Navy's interest in Queen Elizabeth was a media hot gas bubble and nothing else. ..........Indian navy always had the plan to go incremental with following IACs and indication to go for larger IAC called IAC-2 started floating in media months before QE incident.

Last edited:

neo29

Just out of curiosity, once vikramaditya and IAC 1 are operational, Viraat wil be retired. Is it possible to upgrade and refit the way gorshkov was done??? if possible it would be pleasing to see 3 AC's operational before IAC 2.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
HMS Hermes now INS Viraat was launched way back in 1953 and and after eating rust for so many years it was finally commissioned in 1959. Theoretically, maximum life of a carrier is 50 years and now you have Viraat which is 51 years old already and will serve for another 2-3 years. Now you yourself see is there any thing left in Viraat?

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Was the IAC-2 given a nod after india's interest in buying Queen Elizabeth class carrier from UK was refused ????
There were never official talks between UK-India for QE AC. So no question of refusal. Vikrant class was planned with possibility of multiple carriers of same class decade ago.

SATISH

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Well I think the Vikrant class will have 2 ships. But the second one might have a CATOBAR to it.

Rahul Singh

Country flag
After Russia's decision to retrofit Admiral Kuznetsov to CATOBAR, i think it is more or less certain that IAC-2 will be CATOBAR.

Crusader53

Regarding naval PAK-FA

Regarding naval MCA aka AMCA aka NGFA

Regarding Navy plans for IAC-2

Regarding commonality between Indian IAC and new Russian carriers

-----------------

After recollecting all these sources(on demand) i discovered, how hard it is to spoon-feed a grown-up, good bless mommies, they have to feed only kids?

Well, maybe if you had a reliable source.....So, far one vague source that states Mig-29K's and Naval PAK-FA on the IAC. Which, is hardly an Official Indian or Russian Source. Just a opinion of one reporter. How about one that states Russia and Indian have approved funding for the Naval PAK-FA and its under development. Plus, when the aircraft is expected to fly or when it may enter service???

Nonetheless, the Naval PAK-FA if ever does materialize. Is to large for the IAC-2 let alone the IAC-1.

Last edited:

Crusader53

Any reliable source to support your claim that initially IAC-1 and IAC-2 were of same displacement? what i heard was from the beginning itself navy planned to build the IAC-2 much bigger than IAC-1
Are you trying to tell me you "believe" the first two IAC's were never planned to be identical ships!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Well, maybe if you had a reliable source.....So, far one vague source that states Mig-29K's and Naval PAK-FA. Which, doesn't say who provided it??? How about one that states Russia and Indian have approved funding for the Naval PAK-FA and its under development. Plus, when the aircraft is expected to fly or when it may enter service???
@Crusader53,
You cannot predict any kind of outcomes from a first prototype flying, Besides Russian don't sell information quickly..
A week before PAK-FA official flight people on MP.net and other forums are making jokes on PAK-fa status..
So its better to wait and see rather making fun of those all Indian/Russian scientist and people who are working hard..

neo29

Why isnt govt considering make IAC2 nuclear powered ??

anoop_mig25

Country flag
I second to that but isn`t nuclear ed power aircraft carrier would be costly to operate and this would provoke america/Europe/china/pakistan

Crusader53

@Crusader53,
You cannot predict any kind of outcomes from a first prototype flying, Besides Russian don't sell information quickly..
A week before PAK-FA official flight people on MP.net and other forums are making jokes on PAK-fa status..
So its better to wait and see rather making fun of those all Indian/Russian scientist and people who are working hard..
Respectfully, I am not making fun of anybody. Yet, for some to quote "Putin's" remarks as the "Gospel" is boarding on ridiculous.

As a matter of fact if US President Obama made similar remarks about the F-22 Raptor. I would be worried..........of course I have to admit my Polotical Bias. As I am 100% Republican..........

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Well, maybe if you had a reliable source.....
Don't cry too much for 'OFFICIAL' and reliable(second hand source like media is never reliable you can depend only to some extent depending upon the reputation of the source ).

99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999 % of news about defense we get today comes through media who quotes unnamed source, serving officers, head of development agency etc. You don't get informations or detail reports or news on step to step development directly from MOD or naval officers. They are too busy to go live every hour to update knowledge of common guy like you and me

So, far one vague source that states Mig-29K's and Naval PAK-FA on the IAC. Which, is hardly an Official Indian or Russian Source. Just a opinion of one reporter. How about one that states Russia and Indian have approved funding for the Naval PAK-FA and its under development. Plus, when the aircraft is expected to fly or when it may enter service???
Why you think there will be no naval PAK-FA? May be you are in state of mind that Russian navy will continue using 4+ gen fighter on their new CATOBAR carriers, even when having 5 gen fighter technology available, even when knowing that Mig-29K will be no comparison to F-35C, just to give respect to 5th gen fighter equipped USN.

Russian navy is surely going for naval PAK-FA for retrofitted Admiral Kuznetsov let alone nuclear powered new CATOBAR carriers. Its just a matter of time when one reporter(reliable as per you) asks about naval PAK-FA and you start seeing news regarding.

Nonetheless, the Naval PAK-FA if ever does materialize. Is to large for the IAC-2 let alone the IAC-1.
May be you should read it again.
The Chief of Naval Staff, Admiral Nirmal Verma, indicated in December 2009 that the IAC-II would be sizeably larger than the IAC-I, with a displacement of 50,000 tons. It would also have a more modern launch system, either via steam catapult or, as some as yet unconfirmed rumours have suggested, an EMALS (Electromagnetic Aircraft System).

PAK-FA's Dimensions (m):
- length 22m
- wingspan 14,2; S=78,8 m2
- height 6,05

SU-33's dimensions:
- length 21.19m
- wingspan 14.7 (7.4*) m
- height 6,05 m

Where is the much difference that make you think that PAK-FA is too big? Oops! almost forgot to tell you the reason behind comparing their dimensions. In beginning Navy's first choice for retrofitted Admiral Gorshokov was Su-33 but they discovered that during take-off from angled take-off strip SU-33's starboard wing come uncomfortably close to the island. For this very and only technical reason Navy agreed to finance the development of Mig-29K for equipping retrofitted Admiral Gorshokov. Now if you go and compare size of IAC-1 and Admiral Gorshokov as well as check location of islands on both you are sure to find out that both carriers are having almost similar fight deck with one difference that island on IAC-1 is situated significantly backwards than Admiral Gorshokov. Now why i can't say that SU-33 can operate from IAC-1? And since there is no significant difference between dimension of SU-33 and PAK-FA, why can't PAK-FA operate from it too?

As of today navy plans for IAC-1 requires only Mig-29K and N-LCA and for IAC-2 calls for new N-MRCA plus N-LCA. Its only when IAC-3 will be available then navy will look to FGFA and in all likelihood IAC-3 will have a mix fleet of naval PAK-FA and N-NGFA or only N-NGFA.

BTW who said to you that naval PAK-FA is been looked upon be for IAC-1?

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Government will consider only when navy will ask. Right now all talks regarding nuclear powered IAC-2 is because of INS Arihant's reactors. Scientist say, now they can make nuke carriers but to my belief navy will wait to the time to see this reactor passing all sea trials before asking for nuke powered IAC-2..

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Respectfully, I am not making fun of anybody. Yet, for some to quote "Putin's" remarks as the "Gospel" is boarding on ridiculous.

As a matter of fact if US President Obama made similar remarks about the F-22 Raptor. I would be worried..........of course I have to admit my Polotical Bias. As I am 100% Republican..........
And u have to reply??
It said Putin smiled ( Sarcastic )..

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles