INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

p2prada

Not to change the subject. What is the best option for the Indian Navy in regards to the IAC-2.

1.) Develop the IAC-2 by itself?
Maybe not IAC-2 but later carriers.

2.) Develop the IAC-2 with outside assistance?
Already are. We have roped in Fincantieri for it. They have already started work on the engines with us.

3.) Purchase a off shelf Design like the CVF and construct it in India???
It may not fit our requirements. So, its ruled out. When we have a great design team, why do we have to buy off the shelf.

p2prada

It will be interesting to hear your response when the Super Hornet wins the IAF MMRCA and the IN selects the F-35......

Just my opinion.....Nonetheless, I drop the subject for now.=heheh
US will not win. We have been buying only non offensive weapons or defensive weapons from the west. Stuff like Transports, AEW&C, SAMs, trainer aircraft etc. From Russia we have been buying fighters, tanks, guns etc. Europe has a better chance since the Russian fighter may not be as good as Rafale, Gripen or EF in the strike regime which is what IAF is primarily looking for.

IN choosing F-35 is out of the question. IN has already chosen Mig-29k and N-LCA. There is no option for a third type unless the first 2 are phased out for either the N-PAKFA or N-MCA.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
It will be interesting to hear your response when the Super Hornet wins the IAF MMRCA and the IN selects the F-35......

Just my opinion.....Nonetheless, I drop the subject for now.=heheh
Yes, it'll be very interesting when MRCA decision is made & I respond.

Singh

Phat Cat
Super Mod
Country flag
Guys request you to use report feature rather than use comments or posts to self-moderate discussions if they are not working. Thanks.

Crusader53

Maybe not IAC-2 but later carriers.

Already are. We have roped in Fincantieri for it. They have already started work on the engines with us.

It may not fit our requirements. So, its ruled out. When we have a great design team, why do we have to buy off the shelf.

Well, it takes many years to develop a new Carrier from scratch and the IAC-2 shares very little in common with the IAC-1. Of course its possible that Indian has been developing the IAC-2 is secret for a number of years. Thought, I consider that very unlikely.........Which, means if India selects either options 1 or 2. It could be another decade or more before the first IAC is available.=omg=

neo29

IAC 1 or IAC 2 or any ship in indian arsenal. It requires a anti missile system to nullify threat from chinese anti ship missile df-21. or whats the use of such aircraft carrier's when we become sitting ducks.

Besides why arent we building a nuclear powered aircraft carrier?

Last edited:

p2prada

Well, it takes many years to develop a new Carrier from scratch and the IAC-2 shares very little in common with the IAC-1. Of course its possible that Indian has been developing the IAC-2 is secret for a number of years. Thought, I consider that very unlikely.........Which, means if India selects either options 1 or 2. It could be another decade or more before the first IAC is available.=omg=
IAC-1 development is complete and is being built as we speak. It is supposed to be launched this year or early next year and commissioned a few years after that. IAC-2 construction will start as soon as IAC-1 is launched and will be of a higher displacement. Development is nearing completion and as I said we are using Italian help.

IAC-3 and 4 will be even bigger carriers of 65k tons+ displacement. IAC-3 and upwards may even be nuclear powered.

If we go for option 1 or 2, we will have a carrier in 4 years and we are too. IAC-1 is supposed to be commissioned in 2014 followed by IAC-2 in 3 years. By 2017 we will have 3 operational carriers.

Opion 3 is no longer an option. Our last off the shelf carrier is Admiral Gorshkov. No phoren maal after that.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
IAC 1 or IAC 2 or any ship in indian arsenal. It requires a anti missile system to nullify threat from chinese anti ship missile df-21. or whats the use of such aircraft carrier's when we become sitting ducks.

Besides why arent we building a nuclear powered aircraft carrier?
BMD ships will be in IN fleet to counter DF-21 variants in near future..
Their are rumors than Nuclear propulsion is on the chart..

Crusader53

IAC-1 development is complete and is being built as we speak. It is supposed to be launched this year or early next year and commissioned a few years after that. IAC-2 construction will start as soon as IAC-1 is launched and will be of a higher displacement. Development is nearing completion and as I said we are using Italian help.

IAC-3 and 4 will be even bigger carriers of 65k tons+ displacement. IAC-3 and upwards may even be nuclear powered.

If we go for option 1 or 2, we will have a carrier in 4 years and we are too. IAC-1 is supposed to be commissioned in 2014 followed by IAC-2 in 3 years. By 2017 we will have 3 operational carriers.

Opion 3 is no longer an option. Our last off the shelf carrier is Admiral Gorshkov. No phoren maal after that.

Do you have a source that says the IAC-2 Design has been completed and will start construction when IAC-1 is finished???

Crusader53

I hate to break it to you. But even if India selected either option one or two. You will never get a 65,000 ton carrier in four years. Especially, considering the complexity of such a large warship and India's limited experience in building them.

plugwater

I hate to break it to you. But even if India selected either option one or two. You will never get a 65,000 ton carrier in four years. Especially, considering the complexity of such a large warship and India's limited experience in building them.
He said we will have IAC-2 by 2017 only not in four years. So i guess 7 years is not a problem to build 65k ton carrier.

Crusader53

He said we will have IAC-2 by 2017 only not in four years. So i guess 7 years is not a problem to build 65k ton carrier.

We will see but I personally doubt India could complete such an ambious program in such a short time. For example look at American and UK Carrier Programs. Both of which have had decades of experience designing and building Aircraft Carriers.

plugwater

We will see but I personally doubt India could complete such an ambious program in such a short time. For example look at American and UK Carrier Programs. Both of which have had decades of experience designing and building Aircraft Carriers.
You should stop speculating first. also Indian navy have a good record in obtaining what they need in time. so i am sure they will finish this project in 2017.

Crusader53

You should stop speculating first. also Indian navy have a good record in obtaining what they need in time. so i am sure they will finish this project in 2017.

Provide a reliable source and I will quit speculating.

BTW What are you doing if not speculating as I've seen nothing to support your claims!

Crusader53

Indian Navy to get third aircraft carrier by 2017

http://www.domain-b.com/aero/20070518_indian_navy.htm

Article is dated from 2007 and makes no mention of the Larger IAC-2. Which, is a completely new and enlarged design. Likely that was the planned date of the second IAC. That was of the same design and the current IAC-1. Even then its was optimistic at best.

Really, India would be lucky to see the first IAC-1 completed and in service by then. Clearly, the second of the class couldn't be ready at the same time. Especially, considering construction hasn't even started yet! Your going to have to do much better than that to convince the members of the forum or me.

Personally, I think a fair guess (and that's all it is) is maybe around 2023-2025 for the IAC-2 to be complete and in service. Of course that is based on a totally and locally built Indian Design. If, India would purchase a existing foreign design and some outside production of key opponents. It could come 2-3 years sooner.

Crusader53

http://www.indianexpress.com/news/3rd-aircraft-carrier-to-be-inducted-by-2017:-Antony/31148

The Minister of Defense himself has stated that the IAC-2 will be inducted by 2017.

Another old article.............Sorry, the plan has change from making two or three identical IAC's. To one IAC (1) to be followed by a much larger and totally new design. Which, last I heard was going to be in the 65,000 ton Class equipped with Catapults and Arresting Gear. It may even be Nuclear Powered. As such it would be a completely new Design. That would take a good decade to design and build....

Rahul Singh

Country flag
Doesn't matter what will the size of IAC-2, what matters is that no other fighter than Mig-29K, N-LCA and one out of N-MRCA contender will equip IAC-2. And with this no, F-35 is surely ruled out.

As far as N-FGFA is concerned then yes its true that Navy aspires to equip IAC-3 and onwards with FGFA. For that they have already started preparations way back in 2003 and that was done with the decision to support N-LCA program. It is widely assumed that with this program navy is trying to hit two targets in one shoot, first is getting small agile fighter in number and second is to develop expertize in developing carrier born fighter planes. And navy will not allow second to go waste easily, they are sure to use this know-how acquired in the development of N-AMCA and in all likelihood development of both AF-AMCA and N-AMCA will be done in parallel.

There was always a plan to develop naval PAK-FA and first interest for it comes from Russian Navy, which is looking to equip its new carriers with FGFA........ Looking at the size of upcoming Russian carriers i can claim that they will fall in same class with IAC-3 and with that IN will get another option, which i think they will definitely exercise for flexibility.

I expect N-PAK-FA come by 2020, N-AMCA by 2022 and IAC-3 by 2022-23. With this i can conclude that when need for putting FGFAs abroad carriers will arise then IN will surely have two non american FGFA in sight to choose from or choose together.

Crusader53

Doesn't matter what will the size of IAC-2, what matters is that no other fighter than Mig-29K, N-LCA and one out of N-MRCA contender will equip IAC-2. And with this no, F-35 is surely ruled out.

As far as N-FGFA is concerned then yes its true that Navy aspires to equip IAC-3 and onwards with FGFA. For that they have already started preparations way back in 2003 and that was done with the decision to support N-LCA program. It is widely assumed that with this program navy is trying to hit two targets in one shoot, first is getting small agile fighter in number and second is to develop expertize in developing carrier born fighter planes. And navy will not allow second to go waste easily, they are sure to use this know-how acquired in the development of N-AMCA and in all likelihood development of both AF-AMCA and N-AMCA will be done in parallel.

There was always a plan to develop naval PAK-FA and first interest for it comes from Russian Navy, which is looking to equip its new carriers with FGFA........ Looking at the size of upcoming Russian carriers i can claim that they will fall in same class with IAC-3 and with that IN will get another option, which i think they will definitely exercise for flexibility.

I expect N-PAK-FA come by 2020, N-AMCA by 2022 and IAC-3 by 2022-23. With this i can conclude that when need for putting FGFAs abroad carriers will arise then IN will surely have two non american FGFA in sight to choose from or choose together.

Well, I would like to see a good reliable source that supports your claims then..........

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles