INS Vikrant Aircraft Carrier (IAC)

AJSINGH

When donkeys fly than maybe America will offer us full TOT and spare parts. I still think that building our own stuff (even if it's inferior) will still be good enough for our needs and one day India will also have capable aircraft that we can sell to other countries. Their is nothing holding us back from building what we want, it just takes time and a lot of will but we will one day be self sufficent.
in a way you are right,however IAF does not live in idealistic world , it needs to be realistic ,so if yankee weapons are really available with TOT and spare parts ,then its fair deal

StealthSniper

in a way you are right,however IAF does not live in idealistic world , it needs to be realistic ,so if yankee weapons are really available with TOT and spare parts ,then its fair deal
I agree with what your saying, all I was saying was that they probably will never give us full TOT and they make you sign a lot of agreements before you can even buy the plane. If they give us full TOT with no restrictions with what we can do with the aircraft, then I say buy it. But if they restrict usage or make us sign agreements that might harm national interests, I say no way jose.

Crusader53

I agree with what your saying, all I was saying was that they probably will never give us full TOT and they make you sign a lot of agreements before you can even buy the plane. If they give us full TOT with no restrictions with what we can do with the aircraft, then I say buy it. But if they restrict usage or make us sign agreements that might harm national interests, I say no way jose.

There is no such thing as full ToT. It's a myth.

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Urgency is to fly indigenous fighters from indigenous carrier. IAC-1 good with MIG29K & future N-LCA. No need of feeding IAC-1 with any other fighter. We have no potential CBG threats to counter. IO is guarded well by IN. Chinese threat in IO is out of question.

IAC-1 will have 4-4.5 Gen fighters. IAC-2 is still in design. Its absurd to bring F35s on IAC-1.

Crusader53

Urgency is to fly indigenous fighters from indigenous carrier. IAC-1 good with MIG29K & future N-LCA. No need of feeding IAC-1 with any other fighter. We have no potential CBG threats to counter. IO is guarded well by IN. Chinese threat in IO is out of question.

IAC-1 will have 4-4.5 Gen fighters. IAC-2 is still in design. Its absurd to bring F35s on IAC-1.
I hate to tell you but threats come from many directions. Including from land bases.........

BTW History is full of "no threats" and "they will never attack us".

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I hate to tell you but threats come from many directions. Including from land bases.........

BTW History is full of "no threats" and "they will never attack us".
Young fellow, this thread is about IAC & currently only IAC-1 exists so please keep the discussion related to the same only.

Total OT but will answer it here ->
If threat has to come, not even a supercarrier housing 100 6th Gen planes can prevent it. Threat perception & required measure are done by Indian armed forces the best they can & know about it better than anyone here. BMDs are almost in place & ship based defense will be worked out after the PDV test this year. F35 no holy grail & will not be there on IAC-1.

Crusader53

Young fellow, this thread is about IAC & currently only IAC-1 exists so please keep the discussion related to the same only.

Total OT but will answer it here ->
If threat has to come, not even a supercarrier housing 100 6th Gen planes can prevent it. Threat perception & required measure are done by Indian armed forces the best they can & know about it better than anyone here. BMDs are almost in place & ship based defense will be worked out after the PDV test this year. F35 no holy grail & will not be there on IAC-1.

I very much doubt the Indian Government and Military agree with your assessment. As they are seriously considering the F-35 as we speak. Plus, they just put out a requirement for a New Carrier Based AEW Platform. One that can operate from large Conventional Carriers. (i.e. IAC-2)

Really, I think the Indian Navy has realized that the Vikramaditya and first IAC are going to be very limited in capability. That if you want to truly project power in the Blue Waters. You need large Conventional Aircraft Carriers. Something about the size of the Ku's CV F's. Yet, with catapults and arresting gear. Remember, the MIG-K is not design to launch from Catapults but Ski Ramps. Just as the Naval PAK-FA if its ever funded.

Which, makes sense as India has recently requested information on EMALS, E-D Hawkeyes, etc. etc.

Really, you guys can keep saying its not going to happen. Yet, it already has.......

Crusader53

Its hardly absurd as the F-35B and/or C would be far more effective than the Mig-29K anyday of the week. That is fact.......

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
I very much doubt the Indian Government and Military agree with your assessment. As they are seriously considering the F-35 as we speak.
You have design prints of IAC-2 with you? You have papers from MOD saying we are seriously considering F35? Or you have your lunch with CCS? How can you make such claims? Just because some kinky media guy asked IN official that 'Hows F35?' & he answered 'Its exciting, we are looking forward'?

Plus, they just put out a requirement for a New Carrier Based AEW Platform. One that can operate from large Conventional Carriers. (i.e. IAC-2)
So? Operating AEW from larger carriers is very natural. What it has to do with F35? Future larger carriers will have large decks to accommodate larger aircrafts, that is why they are built. Its irrelevant here & doesn't buy argument for F35.

Really, I think the Indian Navy has realized that the Vikramaditya and first IAC are going to be very limited in capability.
IN knew that Gorky & IAC-1 will have limited capability even before placing orders. It is because IN/Shipyards needs to have experience of the product on smaller carrier so then afterwards they can move on with better upgrades on larger carriers. What IN has realized now? IN/MOD knows what they are doing. There is nothing to be realized now.

That if you want to truly project power in the Blue Waters. You need large Conventional Aircraft Carriers. Something about the size of the Ku's CV F's. Yet, with catapults and arresting gear. Remember, the MIG-K is not design to launch from Catapults but Ski Ramps. Just as the Naval PAK-FA if its ever funded.
IN knows it better that which type of aircraft can take-off from which kind of carrier. Future carriers will have larger capability & will sport conventional designs with possible for sure. Regarding Blue water projection, IN will get their respective toys when required by MOD/GOI; if requested.

Which, makes sense as India has recently requested information on EMALS, E-D Hawkeyes, etc. etc.
What that RFI has to do with F35 ? Indian armed forces wants better tech in future, that it.

Really, you guys can keep saying its not going to happen. Yet, it already has.......
What has happened? IN asked MOD for F35? Let me know if I missed that directive.

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
Its hardly absurd as the F-35B and/or C would be far more effective than the Mig-29K anyday of the week. That is fact.......
So what if that is fact? Everybody knows F35 is more advanced that MIG29K. Some other fighter can be better than what we have, so?

Talk in absolutes. None of these facts makes up a fact that IAC-1 will have F35 or IN has no option in entire universe than F35.

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
@Crusader53,
India is also very much interested in Naval FGFA and other fighters in option for IAC-2, Nothing is for sure, so their is no 100% surety abt F-35 in IN!

Kunal Biswas.

Last edited:

Crusader53

You have design prints of IAC-2 with you? You have papers from MOD saying we are seriously considering F35? Or you have your lunch with CCS? How can you make such claims? Just because some kinky media guy asked IN official that 'Hows F35?' & he answered 'Its exciting, we are looking forward'?

So? Operating AEW from larger carriers is very natural. What it has to do with F35? Future larger carriers will have large decks to accommodate larger aircrafts, that is why they are built. Its irrelevant here & doesn't buy argument for F35.

IN knew that Gorky & IAC-1 will have limited capability even before placing orders. It is because IN/Shipyards needs to have experience of the product on smaller carrier so then afterwards they can move on with better upgrades on larger carriers. What IN has realized now? IN/MOD knows what they are doing. There is nothing to be realized now.

IN knows it better that which type of aircraft can take-off from which kind of carrier. Future carriers will have larger capability & will sport conventional designs with possible for sure. Regarding Blue water projection, IN will get their respective toys when required by MOD/GOI; if requested.

What that RFI has to do with F35 ? Indian armed forces wants better tech in future, that it.

What has happened? IN asked MOD for F35? Let me know if I missed that directive.
Several public sources have made it public that the Indian Navy has shown interest in the F-35. Along with E-2D's, EMALS, etc. etc. Plus, India has clearly said the IAC-2 will be a larger Aircraft Carrier than the IAC-1. Which, will be equipped with Catapults and Arresting Gear.

Regardless, you guys are free to believe what you like. History will prove one of us right........

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Several public sources have made it public that the Indian Navy has shown interest in the F-35. Along with E-2D's, EMALS, etc. etc. Plus, India has clearly said the IAC-2 will be a larger Aircraft Carrier than the IAC-1. Which, will be equipped with Catapults and Arresting Gear.

Regardless, you guys are free to believe what you like. History will prove one of us right........
Indeed IN showed interest in F-35B/C but IN is also showed interest in NFGFA, Its very + that NFGFA will operate on IN IAC-2, But if F-35B/C win the contract than it would be interesting on wht terms ( TOT essential ), And i hope if America is willing to have a dedicated partner ( both ways ) then it wont be any problem..

AJSINGH

IN had also shown interest in US navy carrier , but did it buy that carrier ? no it didnt , just merely showing interest is not going to buy that product

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Btw, What kind of Helos and Aircrafts will be available for Antisubmarine warfare on Vikramaditya and IAC-1??

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag

You have not answered any of my questions specifically.

Cut the bullshyt. You are talking nonsense with no facts to support your claims.
No official deal up for F35 on IAC-1 or IAC-2 yet. F35 ain't holy grail. Just because IAC-2 will have catapults doesn't mean it'll have F35.

Bring something to solidify F35 on IAC-1 or F35 on IAC-2 or stop fanboy stuff on this thread. Thread has been already derailed with total useless posts.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Ka-28 and probably sea king helocpters
I guess Sea kings are too old, As u said KA-28 ASW and KA-31 AEW version will operate from IAC-1 & Vikramaditya..

Last edited:

mayfair

I wonder how many aircraft do we expect on board our proposed 67,000 ton IAC. Would it be capable of launching something like a HawkEye?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles