INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

Installed six dosa-making machines and three idli-making machines on board INS Vikramaditya

The automated technology will enable assembly-line production of 400 dosas and 1,000 idlis an hour on each machineand will cater to the nearly 2,000 crew members who will be on board the ship. Mr. Krishna Murthy said that eight wet grinders have also been installed for grinding rice and other ingredients for batter.

Vishwarupa

Country flag
The Hindu : News / International : INS Vikramaditya begins sea trials

INS Vikramaditya begins sea trials

The newly refurbished INS Vikramaditya aircraft carrier took to the sea for the first time on Friday.

The carrier sailed out for crucial pre-delivery trials in the early hours of June 8 from the berth of the Sevmash shipyard in Russia's northern city of Severodvinsk, where the former Soviet heavy aviation cruiser Gorshkov had been converted into a regular aircraft carrier christened Vikramaditya.

During the trials, scheduled to last 120 days, all the ship's systems will be tested.

"The main part of the trials is testing aircraft takeoff and landing," Sevmash chief Andrei Dyachkov told The Hindu. "The programme of tests is very tight as deck aviation can operate only from June to September in the harsh conditions of Arctic seas."

The test flights will be carried out using two Russian aircraft, MiG-29K and MiG-35, flown by Russian pilots. Russia last year delivered to the Indian Navy 12 MiG-29K single-seaters and 4 MiG-29KUB two-seaters, which will be based on the Vikramaditya. India has ordered another batch of 29 MiG-29K deck fighters that will also provide airpower for the Vikrant aircraft carrier being built in India.

A part of the Indian crew of the Vikramaditya, who have just completed training in Russia, have joined the Russian team for the carrier's first sea voyage; more Indian sailors will fly in from India for the trials later, bringing the total naval personnel on board to 2,700, almost double the ship's regular crew.

If all goes well, an Indian acceptance team will board the carrier at later stages of the sea trials. Upon completion of the tests the Vikramaditya will return to port to allow finishing touches to be made before delivery in December.

"We are confident we can keep the schedule and hand over the ship to India on December 4," Mr Dyachkov said.

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
A high probability considering that most of the equipment including engines are new as stated in IDRW link posted in #1230

here is the snippet
I am pretty confident it is. I know a new diesel engine is not going to be that thick with muck smoke.

trackwhack

I am pretty confident it is. I know a new diesel engine is not going to be that thick with muck smoke.

No you dont. You just claim to know. I've worked in Bosch,have seen them making wideband sensors and common rail injectors. I've watched them quality testing as well. Like I said , go learn how a compression ignition engine works and then you will know why a diesel engine emits that much smoke before warming up.

trackwhack

Btw, I have a Question..

Why not to use Gas turbine Engine in Aircraft Carriers just like we use in destroyers or Cruisers... ??

LM2500 marine gas turbine :

LM2500 | Marine Engine | Gas Turbine Engines | Turboshaft | GE Aviation

IN destroyer Turbine Engine:

Kunal, I am not sure if new Diesel Engines were installed or the old ones refurbished. If they were new ones, then it is possibly because new diesel engines are more efficient than turbine engines. Also refueling at foreign ports in easier with diesel as not every port has a gas liquefaction or storage facility. Turbine engines are also about 20% more exoensive for the same output. Also modular designs are easier with diesels. So a breakdown of one does not cripple the ship. Again I do not know the engine layout, however for a 100MW output, it is likely driven by more than a few separate units. May 10*10 MW each. For a turbine, it becomes too expensive to make the modular units that small. So maybe an equivalent turbine power plant may have 4 GT's. But if one breaks down, the ship will be running on 75% peak power. From an onboard serviceability perspective too, it is easier to service a diesel engine.

Maybe in future we may switch to nuclear AC's and we wont have to worry about either.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
Gas turbine delivers the extra power for tactical maneuvers since ACs are not warfighting ships but its fighter jets, gas turbines are not a priority, diesel engine produces enough torque to literally twist a chasy extra power for temporary boost can be assisted by gas turbines but at the cost of fuel efficiency, to note that solo Gas turbine configuration is not popular among Naval warships but CODOG/CODAG configuration where the warship cruise in diesel and extra boost during tactical maneuvers is achieved by gas turbine assistance, it is like applying after burners for a jet fighter at the cost of fuel efficency.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag

Installed six dosa-making machines and three idli-making machines on board INS Vikramaditya

The automated technology will enable assembly-line production of 400 dosas and 1,000 idlis an hour on each machineand will cater to the nearly 2,000 crew members who will be on board the ship. Mr. Krishna Murthy said that eight wet grinders have also been installed for grinding rice and other ingredients for batter.
What? Are we going to have an all south Indian crew :D

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
1 iddly Dose, for every body (well no matter you like it or not :dude: )

trackwhack

Armand, All diesel engines are designed to be able to run a wide range of fuels from biodiesel to certain vegetable oils and mazut. It does not matter, they will all produce soot until the engines warm up.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Indian Navy's Russian built aircraft carrier starts sea trials

"After initial trials in the White Sea, the carrier would move into the nearby Barents Sea for trials with naval fighters," officials said.

The MiG-29K was reportedly selected over the larger and more-capable Su-33 naval fighter because India also hopes to operate them from its smaller, indigenous "Project-71 Air Defense Ship" carriers, according to defenseindustrydaily.Com.
:: Bharat-Rakshak.com - Indian Military News Headlines ::

Armand2REP

CHINI EXPERT
Country flag
Military grade fuel have no comparison to civil automotives.

Point is maximum thermal efficiency, and for ships it is derived from Low speed diesel engines where mass is not much of a factor.

Diesel engine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
It isn't military grade fuel. It is the same high sulfur low grade oil used in heating Russian homes. It is used because it is cheap. You won't use mazut in a low sulfur diesel engine... it would destroy it.

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles