INS Vikramaditya (Adm Gorshkov) aircraft carrier

charlyondfi

Italians have already built a 30,000 tons Cavor, ... ...
Why did the Indian government and Navy spend 6 years negotiating and then messing up the project for 3 years, altogether 9 years, anybody could have made 2 carriers by that time. ...
I agree w/ Adux that Italians should have the capability for 40k+ tons carrier (despite amphibious role of Cavour), and even cheaper. But NOT that fast - Italy itself wait for 8 years to commission it:
Design (project 168, by Fincantieri) 2009
Deal signed Nov-2000
Construction Jul-2001
Inducted Mar-2008
Commission Jun-2009
Cost: US$1.2b, 22500 tons (standard)

The recorded fastest carrier building is still the smallest one: Thailand HTMS Chakri, R-911. Bazan shipyard spent only 18 months to put in water (Jun'94 to Jan'96), and commissioned in another 18 months (Aug'97). But it's just 11k- tons, costing US$336m, even cheaper than Burke-class DDG

Last edited:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
So what about Arrester cable, optical landing assistance equipment and STOBAR know how and the jets? I dont think India will prefer other available options if any then the Russians to make her warship peace time capable only. Its always been a give and take relation, India helping Russian dockyard in renovating infrastructure and retaining skilled labour, Russia offering warships and technologies or at least the equipment to be used in Indian products with relaxed string attached compared to other available options in the market, at least we don't have to re invent the wheel every time. Vicky might be a half carrier but we are going for our own full fledged home made one which will require equipment and technologies which India currently do not posses, I personally would not prefer to re invent a new wheel where chances are to have a square one.
1.5 (1+0.5) carriers are better then two half carriers with square wheel technologies on it.

Adux

Country flag
I agree w/ Adux that Italians should have the capability for 40k+ tons carrier (despite amphibious role of Cavour), and even cheaper. But NOT that fast - Italy itself wait for 8 years to commission it:
Design (project 168, by Fincantieri) 2009
Deal signed Nov-2000
Construction Jul-2001
Inducted Mar-2008
Commission Jun-2009
Cost: US$1.2b, 22500 tons (standard)

The recorded fastest carrier building is still the smallest one: Thailand HTMS Chakri, R-911. Bazan shipyard spent only 18 months to put in water (Jun'94 to Jan'96), and commissioned in another 18 months (Aug'97). But it's just 11k- tons, costing US$336m, even cheaper than Burke-class DDG
Agreed. Italians took so much time for various other reasons, including budgetary concerns. The Americans make a Nimitz every 5 years.
Do you know the time in which the whole Gorshkov fiasco taken, 10 years. We should have never bought the damn thing in the first place. It is simply not worth the money, by god man. The damn thing is already 30 years old.

Adux

Country flag
So what about Arrester cable, optical landing assistance equipment and STOBAR know how and the jets? I dont think India will prefer other available options if any then the Russians to make her warship peace time capable only. Its always been a give and take relation, India helping Russian dockyard in renovating infrastructure and retaining skilled labour, Russia offering warships and technologies or at least the equipment to be used in Indian products with relaxed string attached compared to other available options in the market, at least we don't have to re invent the wheel every time. Vicky might be a half carrier but we are going for our own full fledged home made one which will require equipment and technologies which India currently do not posses, I personally would not prefer to re invent a new wheel where chances are to have a square one.
1.5 (1+0.5) carriers are better then two half carriers with square wheel technologies on it.
there is nothing going on the Vikramaditya that has anything to do with Vikrant. Completely different concept and design.

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
there is nothing going on the Vikramaditya that has anything to do with Vikrant. Completely different concept and design.
I think Russia is helping India with Arrester Cable equipment and Optical landing guidance equipment as one should have arrived for the shore based testing facility and wonder from where will India access technology for STOBAR. Russian have it, Vicky have it, who else?

Adux

Country flag
I think Russia is helping India with Arrester Cable equipment and Optical landing guidance equipment as one should have arrived for the shore based testing facility and wonder from where will India access technology for STOBAR. Russian have it, Vicky have it, who else?
It is something India can very easily get from the Americans or English or French. Guess where they are training their pilots, not in Russia but in America. Tells you so much. Carrier operations is not Russia's fortae never has been. Stop being silly about it. We made the biggest blunder with this accept it and move on.

pmaitra

Last edited by a moderator:

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
It is something India can very easily get from the Americans or English or French. Guess where they are training their pilots, not in Russia but in America. Tells you so much. Carrier operations is not Russia's fortae never has been. Stop being silly about it. We made the biggest blunder with this accept it and move on.
Maybe you would like to prove your claims with a few sources about how these niche market products are available for India on "easy" terms so that I could move on.

N.B. cool down ;)

New threads

Articles