INS Sindhurakshak catches fire at naval dockyard in Mumbai

Status
Not open for further replies.

t_co

@sayareakd - I think Redragon meant 'poor' in terms of 'to be sympathized with' rather than 'poor' as 'the opposite of rich'.

On topic, I think all nations who operate Kilos - that includes China, Vietnam, and several others - should be looking at their ordnance handling and maintenance procedures right now...

Last edited by a moderator:

Waffen SS

RIP to brave man. These type unfortunate events happen in every country's Navy. We should be more careful in future.

If there is any one saboteur they must be harshly punished.

My question is when this Submarine loss will be replaced? More sooner, more better.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Is the same got trouble in last months when Headed back to India when Refits are completed from Russia ..The Sub get Egyptian naval support to Sail back

bose

Country flag
This tragic incident will definitely make Russians chances for P75I more difficult...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Russian design batteries are always posed a danger, Last time this same submarine had issue with Russian batt..

Which were replaced with German once, Russian subs looks great on spec but dangerous when operating..

This tragic incident will definitely make Russians chances for P75I more difficult...

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
40 Hours After Explosions On INS Sindhurakshak

Navy divers have entered INS Sindhurakshak late evening 14 Aug and efforts continue round the clock to ascertain the status of the 18 trapped personnel who were inside the submarine at the time of the incident.

The heat of the explosion has melted parts of the internal hull deforming the submarine hatches and preventing access to compartments.

Heavy duty pumps are being used to pump out the water from the submarine. There has been large scale ingress of sea water into the submarine due to the explosion.

Diving and salvage operations are continuing round the clock.
Source : http://www.livefistdefence.com/2013/08/40-hours-after-explosions-on-ins.html

===============================
@sayareakd Sir, Clubs fuel tanks indeed exploded, may be warhead also .. :(

mikhail

Country flag

Source : http://www.livefistdefence.com/2013/08/40-hours-after-explosions-on-ins.html

Sir,is there any chance that the I.N. could salvage Sindhurakshak somehow and repair it?
secondly what are the chances that the I.N. will order a few improved Kilo class(Kilo-II) submarines from Russia as a stop gap measure until the Scorpene class submarines are inducted in I.N.by far Kilo class is the cheapest alternative for the I.N. in the international market and its quite a capable one also(each costs around $300-$350 millions).what's your thought on this matter sir?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
They will salvage it, But its irreparable as damage is too intensive and will cost same as new submarine ..

Kilo may be cheaper but i believe we should not buy them after this, It is very possible that we may see some Russian imports on AMUR or western designs..

I hope to see some western replacement..

Sir,is there any chance that the I.N. could salvage Sindhurakshak somehow and repair it?
secondly what are the chances that the I.N. will order a few improved Kilo class(Kilo-II) submarines from Russia as a stop gap measure until the Scorpene class submarines are inducted in I.N.by far Kilo class is the cheapest alternative for the I.N. in the international market and its quite a capable one also(each costs around $300-$350 millions).what's your thought on this matter sir?

Payeng

Daku Mongol Singh
I dont know if India have the liberty to tweak the Russian submarine but write off are generally decided when it is "beyond economic repair" that is when a replacement is economically more feasible then repairing it back to working condition.

wodoo

Tihar Jail
Banned
Did Indian test them before use? Why not to use an indiagenous battery from India?

Russian design batteries are always posed a danger, Last time this same submarine had issue with Russian batt..

Which were replaced with German once, Russian subs looks great on spec but dangerous when operating..

Last edited:

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Other units may does, Not this particular one as it was already upgraded ..

Batt are always dangerous in submarine, regardless where its from, tested in operational conditions but again there are many way things can go wrong undetected..

Why not to use an indiagenous battery from India?

mikhail

Country flag
They will salvage it, But its irreparable as damage is too intensive and will cost same as new submarine ..

Kilo may be cheaper but i believe we should not buy them after this, It is very possible that we may see some Russian imports on AMUR or western designs..

I hope to see some western replacement..
but sir isn't it a feasible option to buy say 5-6 Improved Kilo class submarines from Russia as an immediate stop gap measure.we have 25+ years of experience operating the Kilo class,so it won't cause any logistical or technological problem.on the contrary the new Kilos are much improved version of the original Kilo class and i think we should probably go for a battle proven submarine rather ordering a completely newer class(Amur) from Russia.

wodoo

Tihar Jail
Banned
Indian should not blame this and that. You should know how to test them before use and know how to integrate different equipments from different countries and keep system safety

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Yes, Custom made one for sure ..

Like it will have DRDO made sonars, Battle management system, Indian made batt new propulsion etc ..

==============

Amur are actually a step ahead of Kilos, These are in other words improved Kilo 877 types..

Though much of the design is same of Kilos ..

but sir isn't it a feasible option to buy say 5-6 Improved Kilo class submarines from Russia as an immediate stop gap measure.we have 25+ years of experience operating the Kilo class,so it won't cause any logistical or technological problem.on the contrary the new Kilos are much improved version of the original Kilo class and i think we should probably go for a battle proven submarine rather ordering a completely newer class(Amur) from Russia.

Energon

DFI stars
Ambassador
Country flag
This is such a tragedy. RIP for all the souls aboard the sub.

On a side note I'm rather puzzled as to why the Indian Navy has a submarine base in a major city like Mumbai. I always thought sub bases were located in more remote locations that could be easily cordoned off. Besides the idea of a fully loaded sub docked in a metropolitan city just doesn't seem to be a good idea.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
This is coz of strategic location of Mumbai in Arabian sea with respect to Pakistan..

On a side note I'm rather puzzled as to why the Indian Navy has a submarine base in a major city like Mumbai.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

Kunal sir i fear this

this is torpedo room of Kilo class, just imagine what must have happen inside it was fully armed, with Torpedo and club missile.

while color light is fuel propellant of Kilo missile. Confirm by Commodore C Raja Mohan defence analysis.

If you see the above pic, what is interesting and worth noting is the point of first explosion. Last three screen shots had the camera shaked a bit still you can see the where the Klub missile fuel ignited.

This pic also clearly shows the that Sindhurakshak was facing right side, that is why white color blast at the right side of the video.

only hope is that now Sindhurakshak if it is written off from active service, will be used for practice on land in submarine school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles