India's Nuclear Doctrine

Should India have tested a Megaton warhead during Pokran?

• Total voters

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Definitely, India should have tested a Megaton yield weapon. It would have given a psychological advantage to the political leadership more than anyone else, they would have shown greater guts when dealing with Pakis in an impending war scenario like during Operation Parakram and also Post 26/11 Muscle flexing. Other than that, there are no distinct advantages. With decreased CEP in missiles and emergence of MIRVed systems, larger yields are slowly becoming a bit inefficient. As most of you are aware, a MIRVed missile with 5x200kt bombs will do much more damage than a singular 1Mt bomb.
If the scientific community has claimed that we can jack up the yield to megatonne range then in all probability they are true.

Last edited:

KS

Bye bye DFI
Yea we should have...but we did not have.

Actually I doubt if we have it even now.

And testing our weapons now , when the global economy is still much not dependent of India is foolishness.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
LF check the video it tells about the reason for not doing MT test.

Shaft was only 5 Km from village, this TN caused crack in the houses of villagers. Now just imagine if we tested the device at 200KT from the test yield of 40 kt, then what would happen to the houses in the area.

here is the Seismic data from the test

now compare that to the 2011 Japan earth quake Seismic data

now i dont need to tell you if we have used 200KT rather then 40KT then what would have happen in that area.

best part of the test is that we tested the TN which was shown in this pic

this goes into this at Agni1

I dont need to tell you that in 2012 what does it mean for

A3

or A4

Last edited by a moderator:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Yusuf bhai which thread you gave the answer.........

Please post the link........
Mate I have repeated this many times in many threads. I remember posting again yesterday. Don't remember which one.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
What is the practical use of a one MT bomb? The P5 have all 300-350 KT warheads as their primary warheads. With MIRV and better accuracy they will do more damage. Target the water and sewer system and more people will die from cholera than what a 1 MT bomb will kill if annihilation is what we are looking for.

I told in the other thread, please think about the citizens around the test site. The damage a 1MT test would have done to their homes. We really didn't need it. We didn't have to enter a dick measuring contest. Size does not matter as long as it gets the Jon done :D

trackwhack

It is never a question of capability. It is always a question of power projection. Google the US analysis of our tests. As per their analysis our yield from the thermonuke could not have exceeded 15 - 20 KT. Their conclusions even bordered on the fact that our thermonuke was a joke. Read this.

What Are the Real Yields of India's Tests?

This is also the reason that they believe that ENR technologies should not be shared with India as our arsenel is still fission based and not fusion based. This has bad implications for our nuclear energy programmes.

To dispel all this bull, we should take a megatonne nuke and conduct an undersea test.

trackwhack

What is the practical use of a one MT bomb? The P5 have all 300-350 KT warheads as their primary warheads. With MIRV and better accuracy they will do more damage. Target the water and sewer system and more people will die from cholera than what a 1 MT bomb will kill if annihilation is what we are looking for.

I told in the other thread, please think about the citizens around the test site. The damage a 1MT test would have done to their homes. We really didn't need it. We didn't have to enter a dick measuring contest. Size does not matter as long as it gets the Jon done :D

You are wrong Yusuf, China has megatonne warheads pointed at India as of now. Not in the past, but as of now. Please check their declared megatonne warhead estimates and the missiles they are deployed on. I have posted this before too.

trackwhack

What I posted on the MIRV thread

While I agree with everyone regarding CEP, accuracy and MIRV, there is a reason a citybuster is called a citybuster. No 200 KT nuke can bust a city like Shanghai or Bejing.

If CEP and MIRV was the way to go, then none of the P5 would still maintain an active arsenal of Megaton nukes.

China itself has an estimated megaton arsenal of the following

3.3 Megatons - approximately 60. Of which about 40 are armed on ICBM's and deployed in Silos and mobile launchers
5 Megatons - approximately 40 of which about 25 are armed on ICBM's and deployed in Silos and mobile launchers
More than hundred 300KT nukes armed and deployed.

No one has accurate estimates of the numbers armed on SSBM's and if any of these are deployed.

India is the only country going with the logic of 200KT being enough if CEP is good. Goddamit we have yet to test the Agni 5 and we feel secure in front of the Chinese who have the above arsenal. What is it that our defense heads understand about destructive power of nukes that the P5, who have had these weapons for far longer do not understand? And to top it all we havent even tested a 200KT nuke. Just claims.
These are serious numbers. A 5 megatonne nuke will clean up the entire NCR region. A 200 KT nuke wont even destroy Bejing.

Last edited:

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
We lived in fear of international reaction to our tests. Back '74, some cabinet minister told foreign media that test was a part of industrial material disposing technique and nothing to do with nuclear weapon. However that is past.

I don't see any reason not to test megaton warhead if the ongoing border talks with china fail to meet favorable conclusion.

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag

It's more of a psy ops thing for deterrence. See this video by Bharat Karand

Posted all videos from the series here: http://defenceforumindia.com/defenc...-bharat-karnad-indias-strategic-security.html

Last edited by a moderator:

Iamanidiot

@Lurker you absolutely suck when it comes to understanding deterrence.A 1 Megaton is not even fit for missile polishing rather than that increase the accuracy of our missiles with better nuclear targetting.An nuclear weapon is used t target a cities water and sewage facilities rather than the town hall.

Last edited:

LurkerBaba

Super Mod
Country flag
@Lurker you absolutely suck when it comes to understanding deterrence.A 1 Megaton is not even fit for missile polishing rather than that increase the accuracy of our missiles with better nuclear targetting.An nuclear weapon is used t target a cities water and sewage facilities rather than the town hall.
That means you didn't even bother to see the video. See the video first.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
Currently we do not have the capability beyond 300kt to 400kt weapon. I dont think we have Megaton bombs.

Iamanidiot

The super powers are removing the 1 mt bombs rather they are going for more accuracy of missiles

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
A 1 Megaton is not even fit for missile polishing rather than that increase the accuracy of our missiles with better nuclear targetting
If it was possible to enhance accuracy of missile beyond a certain level withstanding every environmental disturbance or man-made defense then US wouldn't have developed Global Prompt Strike Weapon.

EDIT:

The super powers are removing the 1 mt bombs rather they are going for more accuracy of missiles
Nobody is removing mt bombs, they are upgrading infrastructure.

Godless-Kafir

DFI Buddha
Country flag
@Saya what is the point? We dont have megaton bombs however the small 17kt is ideal for peppering pakistan with thousands of them. Complete STHU.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles