India's nuclear arsenal failed by 'unreliable' missiles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Country flag
Please don't compare China with India. We build nuclear weapons for self-defense and strictly follows the "no first use" policy. I am surprised to know that peace loving Indians are ready to build thousands of nuclear warheads.

When compared the nuclear weapon programs of these two countries, please remember this fact: China conducted the first nuclear warhead missile test on Oct 27, 1966; the Agni-II was first tested on 11 April 1999.
I know that you must be proud of your country's achievements. But you should not ignore the gap between China's missile program and yours. As I have already said, China conducted the first nuclear warhead missile test on Oct 27, 1966. India waited more than 30 years to have something similar. Enough is said.-

India did it's first nuclear test in 1974 "smiling buddha".

Impluseblade

No, it is not true. China's policy is as simple as it could be "No first use of nuclear weapons". There are no conditions attached.

China has the same policy against US and Russia. It is NFU against non nuke states only. But thanks for pointing it out.

Country flag
Yes a country that could send a satellite to moon without missing it by 100000 miles in the first try, how could they have reliable ballistic missiles? A country that routinely sends satellites to space can hardly be expected to have any understanding of tactical and stratergic missiles.
Also a nation that can launch 10 satellites in one shot would not know how to MIRV warheads.

Impluseblade

@leathalforce Since you are a senior member on this forum, I feel disappointed to read such an amateur reply from you.

In 1950s, China started the "Liang Dan YI Xin" project which aimed to develop nuclear weapon, ballistic missile, and satellite at the same time. Having nuclear weapon alone is not enough to effectively safeguard national security. What platform did you have to deliver the warheads to your enemy's territory in 1974? That's why I emphases the symbolic meaning of the first nuclear warhead missile test.

I know that you must be proud of your country's achievements. But you should not ignore the gap between China's missile program and yours. As I have already said, China conducted the first nuclear warhead missile test on Oct 27, 1966. India waited more than 30 years to have something similar. Enough is said.-

India did it's first nuclear test in 1974 "smiling buddha".

Country flag
The most likely delivery platform would have been by air but being a cold war Soviet ally they had given assurances.
The real missile and nuclear race did not start until CHINA proliferated missiles and
nuclear material to Pakistan. India did not feel there was a need until the Chinese stuck
their nose where it didn't belong.

Impluseblade

That's why it is funny that your country still keep the "no first use" tag. You intent to use nuclear weapons in offense and don't have confidence in your retaliation ability after being hit first.

Come on ! all such policies are only for ideal situations in a war, they are just declared to show the peaceful intent and nature of a country, no country with such doctrine waits to be nuked if seriously threatened, it is foolish to wait for 50+ incoming nuclear missiles at once to you and still holding the "no first use policy" tag.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Indian National Security Advisor Shri Shivshankar Menon signaled a significant shift from "no first use" to "no first use against non-nuclear weapon states" in a speech on the occasion of Golden Jubilee celebrations of the National Defence College in New Delhi on October 21, 2010.
Can you provide details on this..

What platform did you have to deliver the warheads to your enemy's territory in 1974?
EE Canberra B66 was the platform..

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag

url=http://www.readability.com/articles/hbkigpud]India's nuclear arsenal failed by 'unreliable' missiles — indiatoday.intoday.in — Readability[/url]
source figures are questionable

Last edited:

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
That's why it is funny that your country still keep the "no first use" tag. You intent to use nuclear weapons in offense and don't have confidence in your retaliation ability after being hit first.
I was talking about all the countries who have "no first use policy" and specially your country's doctrine ! or why did you start to develop nukes in 1950s on first hand ? I hope not for baking Breads by that !. Indians have guts and confidence to declare "no first use policy" against more powerful enemy like China that's it! unlike your kid Pakistan jumping and dreaming to nuke India all the time, we Indians doesn't dream to nuke China.

no smoking

Country flag
I was talking about all the countries who have "no first use policy" and specially your country's doctrine ! or why did you start to develop nukes in 1950s on first hand ? I hope not for baking Breads by that !.
Because USA publically threated China with a nuclear war during the korea war! I have never heared anyone threats india with that!

Indians have guts and confidence to declare "no first use policy" against more powerful enemy like China that's it! unlike your kid Pakistan jumping and dreaming to nuke India all the time, we Indians doesn't dream to nuke China.
Oh, really? You don't dream to nuke China?
How many times our india friends kindly point out which part of China will be within the shadow of your new missiles?
How many times our india friends suggest that india should nuke China if Pak starts a nuclear war with india?

Last edited:

Impluseblade

My friend, you seem to be lost and your words are not logical.
1) or why did you start to develop nukes in 1950s on first hand ?
China developed nuclear weapons for self-defence. During the cold war, China was facing nuclear threats from both U.S. and USSR.

2) Indians have guts and confidence to declare "no first use policy" against more powerful enemy like China that's it!
Again you have to eat your words. You don't have a real "no first use" policy. Please read the following carefully:

Indian National Security Advisor Shivshankar Menon signaled a significant shift from "No first use" to "no first use against non-nuclear weapon states" in a speech on the occasion of Golden Jubilee celebrations of National Defence College in New Delhi on October 21, 2010.

India and weapons of mass destruction - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3) unlike your kid Pakistan jumping and dreaming to nuke India all the time, we Indians doesn't dream to nuke China.
Thanks for stating that China holds an upper hand against India. But we also don't have the intent to nuke India, or any other countries.

I was talking about all the countries who have "no first use policy" and specially your country's doctrine ! or why did you start to develop nukes in 1950s on first hand ? I hope not for baking Breads by that !. Indians have guts and confidence to declare "no first use policy" against more powerful enemy like China that's it! unlike your kid Pakistan jumping and dreaming to nuke India all the time, we Indians doesn't dream to nuke China.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Through reading the posts on this forum, I find that I must double check what Indian members said.

Indian National Security Advisor Shri Shivshankar Menon signaled a significant shift from "no first use" to "no first use against non-nuclear weapon states" in a speech on the occasion of Golden Jubilee celebrations of the National Defence College in New Delhi on October 21, 2010.
It is most like an error by Shivshankar Menon than a stated objective of the Indian state. India's nuclear doctrine is "minimum credible deterrent" with no-first use policy without any qualifications. If we have to have a first-use policy, we wouldn't be making piddly number of 60-80 nukes, India would make couple of 100s or even more of nuke warheads.

Dovah

Untermensch
Country flag
1) or why did you start to develop nukes in 1950s on first hand ?
China developed nuclear weapons for self-defence. During the cold war, China was facing nuclear threats from both U.S. and USSR.
1962. :rolleyes:

Self defence :rofl:

Impluseblade

You are comparing oranges to apples. All the Chinese missiles are operational; some of yours are still under development.

Name Class Range Payload Status
Agni-I SRBM 700 km 1,000 kg Operational
Agni-II MRBM 2,000 km - 3,000 km 500 kg - 1,000 kg Operational
Agni-III IRBM 5,000 km 2,490 kg Inducted
Agni-IV MRBM 3,000 km - 3,800 km 500 kg - 1,500 kg Induction by 2014-15
Agni-V ICBM 5,000 km - 5,800 km 1,500 kg+ Induction by 2014-15

------------------------------------

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
India is now close to the nuclear triad; the ability to deliver by aircraft, missiles and submarine launched ballistic/cruise missiles. The diversity of our missile arsenal and planned induction of Arihant nuclear submarine is testament to this fact.This planned capability indicates that India will be able to retaliate by retaining second-strike capability in case of a nuclear attack on India.

Since China and India has 'no-first use' policy, then a nuclear war between India and China is not going to happen. So, chill and don't worry. The equation becomes complex only in case of Pakistan.

Impluseblade

In this case, please ask your DoD to release an official memo to restate your nuclear weapon policy since it is not something you can joke about.

It is most like an error by Shivshankar Menon than a stated objective of the Indian state. India's nuclear doctrine is "minimum credible deterrent" with no-first use policy without any qualifications. If we have to have a first-use policy, we wouldn't be making piddly number of 60-80 nukes, India would make couple of 100s or even more of nuke warheads.

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
You are comparing oranges to apples. All the Chinese missiles are operational; some of yours are still under development.

Name Class Range Payload Status
Agni-I SRBM 700 km 1,000 kg Operational
Agni-II MRBM 2,000 km - 3,000 km 500 kg - 1,000 kg Operational
Agni-III IRBM 5,000 km 2,490 kg Inducted
Agni-IV MRBM 3,000 km - 3,800 km 500 kg - 1,500 kg Induction by 2014-15
Agni-V ICBM 5,000 km - 5,800 km 1,500 kg+ Induction by 2014-15
Let's just say that India has all the missiles it requires to deliver nukes to any corner of the most likely enemies - Pakistan and China. It doesn't matter to India if China has ICBM with larger range than Agni-III. Induction of future SSBNs will make the missiles redundant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles