India's Moon Exploration Program

TopWatcher

Country flag
ISRO is dreaming very high...they want to do a manned lunar landing, possibly by 2047
The problem is budget. 2047 is very long time, uptill that time other space agencies will try to land on other planets. I think we need to focus on mars also, very much focus on lunar will curtain other prospects.

Budget is really very tight.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
uptill that time other space agencies will try to land on other planets.
No, there will be none other US and China to land on moon till 2047 and no other than USA, most likely not even US given constraints as large distances in interplanetary spaces make manned interplanetary unfeasible for most modern techs.

TopWatcher

Country flag
No, there will be none other US and China to land on moon till 2047 and no other than USA, most likely not even US given constraints as large distances in interplanetary spaces make manned interplanetary unfeasible for most modern techs.
I mean to say, to think big , need good budget which ISRO dont have. For good missions ISRO need global DSN which we lacking, budget also need to invest on this.

Tactical Doge

๐•ฑ๐–”๐–”๐–‘๐–˜ ๐–—๐–š๐–˜๐– ๐–†๐–“๐–‰ ๐–†๐–“๐–Œ๐–Š๐–‘๐–˜ ๐–‹๐–Š๐–†๐–—
Country flag
I mean to say, to think big , need good budget which ISRO dont have. For good missions ISRO need global DSN which we lacking, budget also need to invest on this.
Budget will come
Our economy is on the frontfoot
Even if the budget proportionally remains the same (which I don't think it will), it will be a much larger amount by 2040s

TopWatcher

Country flag
Budget will come
Our economy is on the frontfoot
Even if the budget proportionally remains the same (which I don't think it will), it will be a much larger amount by 2040s
ISRO should send mission like NASA beyond mars, but i think ISRO first priority must have 24 hours deep space network, than we can do deep space missions.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
Priority & expertise and not budget magically is going to make India land humans on moon.

Budget is strictly a resultof requirement and $40 billion budget given tomorrow can't make ISRO equivalent to NASA in just 4-5 years.

India has a lot do, human space flight, space stations, expertise in multiple soft landings, expertise in space docking and building and 4-5 continual successful launches of an SHLV and then it's human rating launches. So budget is not going to change ISRO's position vis a vis world. India will anyways surpass EU and Russia but will remain behind US & China in this half of century.

India won't land humans on moon anytime before 2040 unless engaged in a space race like cold war. India won't land humans on moon before 2035 no matter what happens.
ISRO should send mission like NASA beyond mars, but i think ISRO first priority must have 24 hours deep space network, than we can do deep space missions.
Beyond Mars missions are already under study by VSSC.

And using of foreign deep space network is due to India's geographical constraints than a technological one. ESA, India, China and Russia frequently use each other's DSNs and it will continue until few more decades when we actually have military bases and satellite monitoring stations in foreign countries like USA.

FalconSlayers

เคงเคฐเฅเคฎเฅ‹ เคฐเค•เฅเคทเคคเคฟ เคฐเค•เฅเคทเคฟเคคเคƒ
Country flag
ISRO is dreaming very high...they want to do a manned lunar landing, possibly by 2047
Highly doubt it, ISRO plans a human Mars landing by 2050 or before, a planet where we have only sent an orbiter and are yet to send a lander and a rover and do a sample return mission, and no country has ever done a sample return from mars let alone set foot on that planet due to mars having an atmosphere and a higher gravitation force than moon which has g/6 force of gravity and no atmosphere allowing easier sample return and human moon landing missions. Plus we'll be needing something heavier than even super heavy lift rockets to do that. So let NASA or the Chinese do that then we can see.

Human moon landing would be possible by 2040 I guess as we're planning for a lunar sample return mission around 2030s, since they won't have a small interval in both mega projects and will need time. My guess, 2047 Mars landing to commemorate 100th year of India's independence but that too is highly ambitious. But first do Gaganyaan to send Indians to space by 2025, then can see what they want to do next.
1695392702721.png

Last edited:

SavageKing456

Country flag
Highly doubt it, ISRO plans a human Mars landing by 2050 or before, a planet where we have only sent an orbiter and are yet to send a lander and a rover and do a sample return mission, and no country has ever done a sample return from mars let alone set foot on that planet due to mars having an atmosphere and a higher gravitation force than moon which has g/6 force of gravity and no atmosphere allowing easier sample return and human moon landing missions. Plus we'll be needing something heavier than even super heavy lift rockets to do that. So let NASA or the Chinese do that then we can see.

Human moon landing would be possible by 2040 I guess as we're planning for a lunar sample return mission around 2030s, since they won't have a small interval in both mega projects and will need time. My guess, 2047 Mars landing to commemorate 100th year of India's independence but that too is highly ambitious. But first do Gaganyaan to send Indians to space by 2025, then can see what they want to do next.
View attachment 223501
People tend to forget that by 2040 india would have robust space industry and bigger economy
Lots of private companies will help isro to reduce some load

FalconSlayers

Country flag
People tend to forget that by 2040 india would have robust space industry and bigger economy
Lots of private companies will help isro to reduce some load
World would've landed on Mars long ago, problem is money. Even for the richest countries it is unaffordable. USA in the 1960s Spent $26 billion in Apollo programme in 13 years which translates to $260 billion in today's inflation adjusted terms. So one can imagine how expensive a Mars human landing would be. My guess would be $1 trillion (In today's money) over similar timeframe.

FalconSlayers

Country flag
Sending a human to Mars is very very difficult and complex compared to landing a human to the moon

>You'll need rockets much heavier than the current heaviest i.e. SpaceX Starship

>Since Mars has an atmosphere and a much larger mass causing higher gravitational force compared to which has just 1/6th of Earth's gravity and no atmosphere, you'll literally have to land a reusable rocket on martian surface that is human rated, from a rocket.

>On moon one can escape its gravitational field with normal thrusters on a lander, that won't be possible on Mars.

> It will cost shit tonnes of money higher than size of economies of the top economies on the planet.

This is how a lunar sample return mission happened

This is how a sample return from Mars is conceptualised or proposed to be.

Now similar to moon sample return, this is how astronauts returned from moon.

Now one can imagine similar for Mars, how complex and unsafe it would be.

karn

Country flag
Me thinks any future manned moon mission by us would involve a space craft that is assembled in orbit from 3 50 tonne parts .
For which an orbital space station and orbital docking expertise is required . I highly doubt that we will invest in a starship scale rocket even by the 2040s .
This is only my opinion.

Vamsi

Country flag

View attachment 223501
This was just representative....not the actual planned timeline & this came before CY-3.....since CY-3 is successful, ISRO is more confident about doing Manned Lunar Landing & it is certainly possible before 2047.....again watch that interview, you will see how confident about it

FalconSlayers

Country flag
This was just representative....not the actual planned timeline & this came before CY-3.....since CY-3 is successful, ISRO is more confident about doing Manned Lunar Landing & it is certainly possible before 2047.....again watch that interview, you will see how confident about it
I'm talking about Mars landing here. I said Moon landing by 2040 is possible. Mars landing is too ambitious for even NASA.

Vamsi

Country flag
I'm talking about Mars landing here. I said Moon landing by 2040 is possible. Mars landing is too ambitious for even NASA.
Manned Mars landing by 2050 is impossible, for it we need Nuclear Thermal Rocket engines apart from Starship like rocket... personally I want ISRO to develop a Nuclear Salt Water Rocket, it can achieve exhaust velocity of 60-70km/s with 1000s of KNs of thrust(for eg SCE-200 engine has exhaust velocity of over 3km/s with 2030KN thrust) those engines will be very very efficient, round trip to Mars will take less than a year if we use it

Tactical Doge

๐•ฑ๐–”๐–”๐–‘๐–˜ ๐–—๐–š๐–˜๐– ๐–†๐–“๐–‰ ๐–†๐–“๐–Œ๐–Š๐–‘๐–˜ ๐–‹๐–Š๐–†๐–—
Country flag
Manned Mars landing by 2050 is impossible, for it we need Nuclear Thermal Rocket engines apart from Starship like rocket... personally I want ISRO to develop a Nuclear Salt Water Rocket, it can achieve exhaust velocity of 60-70km/s with 1000s of KNs of thrust(for eg SCE-200 engine has exhaust velocity of over 3km/s with 2030KN thrust) those engines will be very very efficient, round trip to Mars will take less than a year if we use it
Possible in 2035 You have to Build a orbital space station gradually on Earth's orbit, then propel it towards Mars
After It enters Mars' orbit, a crewed ascender of 5 and another carrying science and engineering stuff can land, set up Pressurised cabins and solar farms etc
Spend a week or two there and come back to orbit and dock with the space station in Martian orbit, which will begin its journey towards earth

The entire round trip will take 3 years, maybe a year and a half more if one idiot gets left behind.

Source: Hollywood

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles