India's Moon Exploration Program

RedHood108

Country flag
That's not enough because most of the energy gets converted into intense light rays such as x-rays or gamma rays and they do not produce thrust. They would work in the atmosphere because those light rays would transfer heat to the air molecule and create motion, hence thrust.
Actually Nulear Pulse Propulsion is a reality. It was called Project Orion. As you can see from this footage, NPP engines do provide thrust.

USA abandoned this project when the Limited Test Ban Treaty was signed between USA & USSR in 1963 to banned all nuclear tests in the atmosphere, in space, or underwater.

Blademaster

Actually Nulear Pulse Propulsion is a reality. It was called Project Orion.

USA abandoned this project when the Limited Test Ban Treaty was signed between USA & USSR in 1963 to banned all nuclear tests in the atmosphere, in space, or underwater.
Not tested in space, only on Earth. So not reality yet.

karn

Country flag
Actually Nulear Pulse Propulsion is a reality. It was called Project Orion. As you can see from this footage, NPP engines do provide thrust.

Well this uses chemical bombs (which sends out a shockwave even in vacuum)to prove the concept . And this is within the atmosphere . I remember reading that this concept actually helped the Americans to improve their nuclear weapons specially in miniaturisation and a directional bomb (the nuke would send out it's radiation in a specific direction .
From what I remember I just assumed that there is some reaction mass next to the nuke . The nuke detonates (or flashes in vaccum) the gamma rays turn the reactive mass into plasma and that plasma is flung at the pusher plate at high velocity .

RedHood108

Country flag
That's not enough because most of the energy gets converted into intense light rays such as x-rays or gamma rays and they do not produce thrust. They would work in the atmosphere because those light rays would transfer heat to the air molecule and create motion, hence thrust.
You have a valid point. For the forward thrust the bomb is provided with a reaction mass as mentioned by @karn which vaporizes when the explosion happens.
bombs with a reaction mass made of tungsten. The bomb's geometry and materials focused the X-rays and plasma from the core of nuclear explosive to hit the reaction mass. In effect each bomb would be a nuclear shaped charge.
Source -

Last edited:

RedPhantom

Country flag
Why the images are not crystal clear. Due to lack of atmosphere??

Doesnt solar panel on one side on rover make it disbalance??

Is rover waking on their own or control by joystick by isro real time??
I think the clarity problem is because this is a cropped image from their livestream, the real image should be much more clear.

The rover is pretty heavy (26 kg) and the centre of mass is pretty low, so I doubt there will be any imbalance issue.

I don't think the rover is controlled in real time, maybe instructions are sent in regularly, not sure.

Global Defence

Articles