India's Moon Exploration Program

Country flag
Thorium-232 is the only naturally occurring isotope of thorium, is a fissionable material but not a fissile one, meaning that it needs high-energy neutrons to undergo fission splitting of atomic nuclei which releases energy that is used for electricity generation. However, when irradiated, thorium-232 undergoes a series of nuclear reactions, eventually forming uranium-233, a fissile material that can be burned up as fuel in nuclear reactors.

So, nope!
some countries have not written it off?

karn

Country flag
I for once want a clean air breathing plasma propulsion jet engine that will work in both in and outside of atmosphere. its pretty simple, take in atmosphere, bombard with microwave and turn it into cold plasma, then use magnetic coils to eject that plasma out nozzles with high thrust. it should have comparable specific impulse to an IC jet engine.

of course you need a fuck load of electricity for that. Fission can get it done, but its dangerous. Fusion is Future.
I for once want them to figure out metalic hydrogen so that we can a single stage to orbit aircraft finally .. but alas .. this too falls under the if only we could harness this category.

Country flag
aah yes this article. I read they shut down Nerva.
since you are on the topic of fusion which would be ideal but not yet available we can go a step further
and hope for antimatter engines maybe in the future?

mcpo117

Country flag
I for once want them to figure out metalic hydrogen so that we can a single stage to orbit aircraft finally .. but alas .. this too falls under the if only we could harness this category.
room temperature superconductor.

Master Chief

Country flag
fission is inherently dangerous. it will absolutely do more harm than good. My basis is the general understanding of fissile material and their adverse effect on the environment. An engine failure would result in catastrophic radioactivity in the atmosphere. Fission is inherently shit.
There is a way around it.. The fission engine would ignite only after the ship reaches orbit..
Or you assemble the ship in orbit or the moon.. These ships would not enter the earth's atmosphere..

mcpo117

Country flag
For anyone interested in the math around the performance of a nuclear engine.
don't mind me. the reason why I said this is because Ion thrusters have extremely high isp but very very low thrust due to less reaction mass. an ion engine can in theory reach atronomically high speed but it will take a long time to reach that speed.

karn

Country flag
don't mind me. the reason why I said this is because Ion thrusters have extremely high isp but very very low thrust due to less reaction mass. an ion engine can in theory reach atronomically high speed but it will take a long time to reach that speed.
The vid uses ion thrusters for comparison . It shows the time mass etc needed for a thermal nuclear engine and proposes that this be supplemented ion thrusters to achive a low transit time to Mars .

mcpo117

Country flag
The vid uses ion thrusters for comparison . It shows the time mass etc needed for a thermal nuclear engine and proposes that this be supplemented ion thrusters to achive a low transit time to Mars .
yeah. I actually like the presentation.

Sanglamorre

Country flag
Let me remind you guys that ISRO uses 1MB camera in their lander.

Antimatter Engines, Ion Thrusters, Epstein Drives etc are a looooonh ways away.

mcpo117

Country flag
Let me remind you guys that ISRO uses 1MB camera in their lander.

Antimatter Engines, Ion Thrusters, Epstein Drives etc are a looooonh ways away.
ion thruster is not really that difficult for ISRO I think. they can seriously consider it after our interplanetary missions become more frequent. I bet private player will eventually induce these tech into India.

karn

Country flag
ion thruster is not really that difficult for ISRO I think. they can seriously consider it after our interplanetary missions become more frequent. I bet private player will eventually induce these tech into India.
Ion thrusters are used by ISRO satellites for station keeping.

Global Defence

Articles