Indian Special Forces

Dharmic_Crusader

Country flag
You mean this. Whatever you say but it looks COOL.
Ya... nibba jump kicking a car windshield and backflipping off, while another dude jumps over the bonnet fly-kicking the wind like its Cirque de sole.. what's next? is he gonna cartwheel away with his suspect and jump through hoops of fire while simultaneously juggling 5 AKs?

abingdonboy

Country flag
You mean this. Whatever you say but it looks COOL.
Cool? Doing things that are completely tactically useless when you are paid to be a professional unit isn’t cool, it’s wasteful and counter productive.

if they want to do this stuff they can join the circus, either they have too much time on their hands or they are clueless

abingdonboy

Country flag
something i just got to know, Ghatak Platoons can act as pathfinder too
Ghataks are an interesting concept, the next step should be to standardise and centralise their selection and training, then their equipping should be done from the command level not as per battalion discretion as currently.

If SF selection/training is ever standardised I could see Ghataks being a natural pipeline for the SF battalions and that would be a pretty solid foundation

rkhanna

Country flag
something i just got to know, Ghatak Platoons can act as pathfinder too
They are pathfinders for their respective battalions. Think of Force Recon to the Marine Corp just at the tactical level. Though their quality varies from regiment to regiment

abingdonboy

Country flag
At 1:21:40 they talk about how australian SAS were not as good at shooting when compared to US sf. I wonder where we stand
I doubt you want an answer to that. Top western SF have adopted US style 3 gun/speed shooting as a training method so they have regular shooting competitions with a high emphasis on accuracy but also transitions

I remember watching a USAF CCT reacting to PARA SF and one of the comments he made was how often PARAs were flagging each other during their training/selection. Since then I’ve noticed them doing that constantly in training/demos and even ops. They take this stuff VERY seriously in the west/US, it can even be a reason to kick someone out of a unit

rkhanna

Country flag
I doubt you want an answer to that. Top western SF have adopted US style 3 gun/speed shooting as a training method so they have regular shooting competitions with a high emphasis on accuracy but also transitions

I remember watching a USAF CCT reacting to PARA SF and one of the comments he made was how often PARAs were flagging each other during their training/selection. Since then I’ve noticed them doing that constantly in training/demos and even ops. They take this stuff VERY seriously in the west/US, it can even be a reason to kick someone out of a unit
It not just about technique also about quantum of practice. JSOC units should about 300-350 rounds a week. SOCOM units probably half that. But thats an insane amount of lead being shot week in week out, deployed or not.

In Delta they have near weekly informal shooting competitions within units. If an operator repeatedly finds himself at the bottom he is asked to leave.

Major Avinash himself said on this forum that a Marksmen designation in SF is given to someone who achieves >85% accuracy on the range. This means there are operators below is as well? If so that would be shocking

rkhanna

Country flag
At 1:21:40 they talk about how australian SAS were not as good at shooting when compared to US sf. I wonder where we stand
From what I have read the SAS and Israelis shoot close to what the American SOF units shoot a year and some french units / GROM / 707 maybe.

SGOperative

Country flag
It not just about technique also about quantum of practice. JSOC units should about 300-350 rounds a week. SOCOM units probably half that. But thats an insane amount of lead being shot week in week out, deployed or not.

In Delta they have near weekly informal shooting competitions within units. If an operator repeatedly finds himself at the bottom he is asked to leave.

Major Avinash himself said on this forum that a Marksmen designation in SF is given to someone who achieves >85% accuracy on the range. This means there are operators below is as well? If so that would be shocking
I think he also said almost every gets it

SGOperative

Country flag

can you link the video pls, thank

rkhanna

Country flag
I think he also said almost every gets it
Will try and dig up his post. he said most. But irrespective almost all is a shocking statement when every single one should be hitting 95%+ accuracy in their sleep. Lastly 85% is a shockingly low standard. Its an infantry standard and we in India deemed it good enough to apply to SF. I asked him on that if units ran their own informal standard - he didnt reply to this

ManhattanProject

Country flag
Will try and dig up his post. he said most. But irrespective almost all is a shocking statement when every single one should be hitting 95%+ accuracy in their sleep. Lastly 85% is a shockingly low standard. Its an infantry standard and we in India deemed it good enough to apply to SF. I asked him on that if units ran their own informal standard - he didnt reply to this
The rot is real.

armyofhind

Country flag
85% accuracy is actually a higher standard than the US Army standard for Marksmanship. In the US Army, it's closer to 72-73%.

www.military.com/join-armed-forces/army-weapons-qualification-course.html/amp

95% accuracy on a stress type test is next to impossible for even a SF unit. That's nearer to the standards Tier-1 units set. I don't think we have an equivalent.. discounting SG... Can't make a statement for SG since so little is known.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles