Indian Special Forces

Jedi Operator

Country flag
Prahar means 'Strike'
Octane is a Hydrocarbon based Chemical Formula (You find this compound in fuel)

Go figure
My brother in christ listen,

Prahara or Prahar was a subdivision of 8, usually used to denote duration of a day in parts, we are not talking about chemistry here. What sene does it make for MARCOS to be Strike Hydrocarbon based Chemical Formula. Here, the word for an 8-man squad that MARCOS use 'Prahar' comes from the word 'prahar' which means eight divisions or something similar

rkhanna

Country flag

Prahara or Prahar was a subdivision of 8, usually used to denote duration of a day in parts, we are not talking about chemistry here. What sene does it make for MARCOS to be Strike Hydrocarbon based Chemical Formula. Here, the word for an 8-man squad that MARCOS use 'Prahar' comes from the word 'prahar' which means eight divisions or something similar

Fair -

But in Hindi Prahar means Strike/Assault no? I was always lead to believe thats where the normenclature for a SF Assault Unit comes from. (And kinda makes more sense than 8 subdivisions fo the day?)

We even have a SF Joint Ex called Vajra Prahar - Which again has loose translation of "Thunderbolt Strike"

And i have been made to understand the above meaning for the past 20+ years. Maybe i have been mistaken BUT IMO something is getting lost in translation here between Sanskrit and Hindi.

armyofhind

Country flag

What you're referring to is प्रहर, which is the division of the day

What the Marcos used is प्रहार, which @rkhanna mentioned as the correct term. It's the smallest team formation in Marcos. Consists of 8 Troops.
प्रहार means attack/strike

For contrast, the Para SF uses a 6-Man team I think.

The Octane would probably be a wordplay as it as has both "Oct" referring to 8, and also Octane in terms of high octane fuel.. explosive et al.

mupper2

Country flag
Not a pissing contest but the Brits/Aussies/Canucks all have C17's and the same capability...the Canadians dropped a double pair of theirs inside the Arctic circle a few years back as an ex and back in the early 2010's the Brits dropped 2 boats/one aircraft off the coast of Kenya after a flight from the UK.

To be fair the way the Brits are going now they may have lost that capability since...

once again not taking away from MARCOS capabilities, it's still a rarity, the russians or Chinese can't do it so guard it and develop it well.

Jedi Operator

Country flag
Fair -

But in Hindi Prahar means Strike/Assault no? I was always lead to believe thats where the normenclature for a SF Assault Unit comes from. (And kinda makes more sense than 8 subdivisions fo the day?)

We even have a SF Joint Ex called Vajra Prahar - Which again has loose translation of "Thunderbolt Strike"

And i have been made to understand the above meaning for the past 20+ years. Maybe i have been mistaken BUT IMO something is getting lost in translation here between Sanskrit and Hindi.
They are called homonyms, words with that are spelled the same but have different meanings.

Jedi Operator

Country flag
What you're referring to is प्रहर, which is the division of the day

What the Marcos used is प्रहार, which @rkhanna mentioned as the correct term. It's the smallest team formation in Marcos. Consists of 8 Troops.
प्रहार means attack/strike

For contrast, the Para SF uses a 6-Man team I think.

The Octane would probably be a wordplay as it as has both "Oct" referring to 8, and also Octane in terms of high octane fuel.. explosive et al.
yeah but Para SF never call their unit Prahar, only and only MARCOS use it. And only MARCOS function in a basic unit of 8. Also prahar refers to 8 divisions of the day and I guess 8 subdivisions are called prahar, so an 8-man team - prahar, else it would be used for other cases also

Articles