Indian Special Forces

Inderjeet Singh

Country flag
"

Experts Opinion
The Hex on Special Forces – Part III
2 days ago strategicaffairsindia

Source: Wikipedia

It is imperative for our policy makers to give special attention to the development and employment of our Special Forces. A national level policy for Special Forces employment needs to be chalked out, which can be taken on by the Special Operations Cell recommended to be established in the PMO. A plan to develop the AFSOD to its full capacity must be worked out, laying out timelines

By Lt Gen Prakash Katoch

The Armed Forces Special Operations Division (AFSOD) was established on September 29, 2018 amid a high media blitz. This was pursuant to the high-powered Naresh Chandra Task Force on National Security recommending that the proposed Special Operations Command be headed by the Army, as one of its recommendations. The proposal was for a Command–level organisation, perhaps similar to the US Special Operations Command (SOCOM). But the sanction came for a Division, in line with norms of the bureaucracy to never give what is proposed – same happened to the recommended Cyber Command also.

The AFSOD came about with one Para (Special Forces) battalion, elements of MARCOS and Garud, and a tri-service headquarters which was initially at Delhi and was later shifted to Agra. The first exercise by the AFSOD ‘Smelling Fields’ was carried out on September 28, 2019 in Kutch District of Gujarat and a second exercise ‘DANX-2019’ followed in Andaman and Nicobar Islands in the same year. It is ironic that four years after its establishment, the AFSOD remains in the same state; the organisation less than that of a ‘weak’ brigade and without essential dedicated support elements such an elite formation should have. Chanakya had said, “Even if a snake is not poisonous, it should act like one”. But it is naïve to think that our enemies can’t perceive that the AFSOD does not even have sufficient ‘fangs’ or teeth.

The AFSOD is under HQ Integrated Defence Staff (IDS) but employment of Special Forces for full spectrum optimisation (counter-terrorism, cyber, space, information operations included) needs to be evolved at the national level, which will unlikely happen without the indulgence of the highest political authority – the Prime Minister. It would be prudent to establish a Special Operations Cell in the PMO to oversee the organisation, equipping, training, employment and monitoring of the Special Forces. The AFSOD needs to organise, train and employ multiple Special Operations Forces Teams (SOFTs) country and region-wise.

The AFSOD is under HQ Integrated Defence Staff (IDS) but employment of Special Forces for full spectrum optimisation (counter-terrorism, cyber, space, information operations included) needs to be evolved at the national level, which will unlikely happen without the indulgence of the highest political authority – the Prime Minister

It would be prudent to integrate 51 and 52 Special Action Groups (SAGs) of the National Security Guard (NSG) which are wholly manned by army personnel and similarly Special Groups (SGs) of the Special Frontier Force (SFF) that are also manned by army personnel, with the AFSOD since the AFSOD would have both external and internal tasks. The organisation of AFSOD should include a SOFT Group, in which the number of SOFTs could gradually be increased with initial focus on our immediate neighbourhood. Other verticals of the AFSOD should include a Support Group, Insertion / Extraction Group, Logistics Group, Intelligence and Cyber Cell, a Training Cell, and a R&D Group. The Intelligence and Cyber Cell should be linked to R&AW, NTRO, DIA and IB. The Training Cell should be linked to the SFTS and training establishments of the NSG and SFF.

No doubt democracies like India have to manage perceptions that question the utility of force in a rapidly changing environment and society that is on the cusp of unprecedented economic growth. At the same time, India presents a fascinating picture of a vibrant and developing democracy with multiple internal fissures and external threats to her sovereignty. The inescapable requirement of ‘hard power’ in today’s uncertain strategic landscape cannot be denied. Therefore, it would be a mistake to write off the role of military power. India’s insistence that its force application philosophy revolves mainly around deterrence has led to India being viewed as a soft state.

It is necessary for India to give deterrence, coercion and compulsion equal importance. The contours of prevailing and future conflict scenarios indicate that Special Forces will continue to play a very important role not only in the entire spectrum of conflict, but also through covert operations in peacetime and no-war-no-peace scenarios. Therefore, it is imperative for our policy makers to give special attention to the development and employment of our Special Forces. A national level policy for Special Forces employment needs to be chalked out, which can be taken on by the Special Operations Cell recommended to be established in the PMO. A plan to develop the AFSOD to its full capacity must be worked out, laying out timelines.

The hex on Army’s Special Forces requires to be axed. Today, Uttarakhand is being mentioned as the repository of military and security strategy because the NSA Ajit Doval is from that state, so was General Bipin Rawat (first CDS) and Anil Dhasmana who retired as Chairman NTRO on October 1. Also, the second CDS, General Anil Chauhan, who has recently been elevated from a retired three-star General, is from Uttarakhand

The hex on Army’s Special Forces requires to be axed. Today, Uttarakhand is being mentioned as the repository of military and security strategy because the NSA Ajit Doval is from that state, so was General Bipin Rawat (first CDS) and Anil Dhasmana who retired as Chairman NTRO on October 1. Also, the second CDS, General Anil Chauhan, who has recently been elevated from a retired three-star General, is from Uttarakhand.

General BC Joshi, who as the Chief of Army Staff established the Army’s Special Forces Regiment and HQ Special Forces, also hailed from Uttarakhand. The policy makers need to resurrect his legacy by re-establishing the Special Forces Regiment and HQ Special Forces. The manpower requirements can be easily met from within the existing 10 Special Forces Battalions and Para (Records) can provide the manpower for Special Forces (Records). It goes without saying that the deep state and external pressure would try their level best to stonewall this but better sense needs to prevail.

The Army would do well to revise its Doctrine on Sub Conventional Operations; conforming it to future requirement; to include proactive operations to counter proxy wars. Any dilution of the Special Forces effort should not be allowed to happen. This should include reverting to six-month compulsory probation for volunteers to join Special Forces battalions. This six-month probation should also be compulsory for Agniveers retained by other units who volunteer for Special Forces.

We must retain the airborne capability as a distinct entity, separate from Special Forces. All Special Forces personnel are also trained in parachuting, aside from other multiple special skills. To avoid the confusion between Parachute Units and Special Forces units, the latter should only be designated as Special Forces or SF, as had been done when General BC Joshi, the then COAS had established the Special Forces Regiment

At the same time, we must retain the airborne capability as a distinct entity, separate from Special Forces. All Special Forces personnel are also trained in parachuting, aside from other multiple special skills. To avoid the confusion between Parachute Units and Special Forces units, the latter should only be designated as Special Forces or SF, as had been done when General BC Joshi, the then COAS had established the Special Forces Regiment.

A rising India will continue to be faced with severe security challenges emerging primarily from its principal adversaries China and Pakistan. China wants to limit India’s strategic space with its perception of India as a threat to China-centric Asia. Pakistan on the other hand is propped up by both China and the US. Consequently India will continue to face the spectre of simmering insurgencies, proxy wars and terrorism including CBRN terrorism and threats to its land and sea borders. While continuing to prepare for full spectrum threats, it is clear that much conflict will remain in the grey and sub-conventional zone. It is amid such a conflict landscape that building of Special Forces capability with diverse competencies assumes great importance.

Successive Indian governments have viewed Special Forces for cross-border actions, leaving operations on foreign soil as the exclusive domain of external intelligence agencies. This thinking must change in rising India. Intelligence agencies globally are working in tandem with Special Forces.

The author is an Indian Army veteran. Views expressed are personal and do not necessarily reflect the views of https://strategicaffairsindia.in

Tags: Experts Opinion, Indian Army, PMO, Prime Minister's Office, Special Forces, The Hex on Special Forces
Continue Reading
Previous
The Hex on Special Forces – Part II
More Stories"
https://strategicaffairsindia.in/th...art-iii/#:~:text=Experts Opinion,More Stories

Jedi Operator

Country flag
Lol what kind of mismanagement is this?
And trust me if you send this to a veteran he doesn't reply at all. No matter how much you press for info. I mean like what's classified now, are we secretly planning an invasion to Mars? No right, then what?

Kumaoni

And trust me if you send this to a veteran he doesn't reply at all. No matter how much you press for info. I mean like what's classified now, are we secretly planning an invasion to Mars? No right, then what?
Probably Becuase they show one side of the picture. Believe me veterans in my family (all passed besides a few in the distant side) would have. A more different picture to paint

Jedi Operator

Country flag
Probably Becuase they show one side of the picture. Believe me veterans in my family (all passed besides a few in the distant side) would have. A more different picture to paint
I am not stereotyping or generalizing it. Those who have been the most raw and clear minded to me were also veterans. I just said this cause I didn't want to name anybody or make it obvious. I mean theirs's a reason they don't send their kids to fauj most of the time. This has been the final nail in the coffin for Indian Special Forces capability. Their are videos out their discussing that R&AW should be more active in counter terrorism whereas Vikram Sood himself stated that it's purely an intelligence agency. This country can never grow out of the mindset that military is for sub-conventional warfare and departments run by civil servants will always be in the bigger picture. It's stupid as f**k man

Kumaoni

I am not stereotyping or generalizing it. Those who have been the most raw and clear minded to me were also veterans. I just said this cause I didn't want to name anybody or make it obvious. I mean theirs's a reason they don't send their kids to fauj most of the time. This has been the final nail in the coffin for Indian Special Forces capability. Their are videos out their discussing that R&AW should be more active in counter terrorism whereas Vikram Sood himself stated that it's purely an intelligence agency. This country can never grow out of the mindset that military is for sub-conventional warfare and departments run by civil servants will always be in the bigger picture. It's stupid as f**k man
Let’s see what the IA will look like in 2030. Keep in mind the IA hasn’t suffered military defeat since 1962.

Jedi Operator

Country flag
Let’s see what the IA will look like in 2030. Keep in mind the IA hasn’t suffered military defeat since 1962.
We were able to keep our heads high because of the men fighting on the ground not the leadership. Leadership did play a role in 1971, we had great guys that time. But Sri Lanka? Kargil at least, now we didn't cross LOC, our SF was working like a super infantry, SG was preparing for a raid at Kahuta that never happened. Not because it wasnt a viable option, but because we didnt want to cross the border. Deterrence it is called.

Jedi Operator

Country flag
What nonsense, isnt 10 Para SF already operating in Kashmir and doing so for a long time. I say revert to the original battalions, 1, 9 & 10. But that is not happening anytime soon. Why not create a Special Forces Support Group where volunteers from the Parachute Regiment can serve on deputation like it happens in NSG. NSG guys though on deputation are thorough professionals. This way, airborne guys can let of of their lust to be Special Forces. Keep it that way I think.

Kumaoni

We were able to keep our heads high because of the men fighting on the ground not the leadership. Leadership did play a role in 1971, we had great guys that time. But Sri Lanka? Kargil at least, now we didn't cross LOC, our SF was working like a super infantry, SG was preparing for a raid at Kahuta that never happened. Not because it wasnt a viable option, but because we didnt want to cross the border. Deterrence it is called.
Not military defeats

rkhanna

Country flag
Not military defeats
There is a dichotomy to this argument that needs to be rationalized. The Americans have won 2 wars since WWII only - Panama and GWI. But NONE were military defeats.

A military does not act in isolation to socio politcal objectives - so only talking about military victories ends up hiding alot of ills under the rug that come and bite you in the ass in the most unwelcome time

Kumaoni

There is a dichotomy to this argument that needs to be rationalized. The Americans have won 2 wars since WWII only - Panama and GWI. But NONE were military defeats.

A military does not act in isolation to socio politcal objectives - so only talking about military victories ends up hiding alot of ills under the rug that come and bite you in the ass in the most unwelcome time
This is a military discussion not a political discussion or whatever. I’m sure indiaspeaks and r/india have enough of that.

I only care strictly if the military result. This socio political defeat or whatever it’s called, I haven’t looked much nor do I care.

With a gov as incompetent as india, which is plagued by gandhian mindset, it’s actually a shocker that it hasn’t suffered more socio political defeats

Jedi Operator

Country flag
This is a military discussion not a political discussion or whatever. I’m sure indiaspeaks and r/india have enough of that.
That's the problem right there. Unless and until we don't strategize the efforts of the military to gain political victory we will keep having stalemates with the enemy. Keep being the chomu looser of the class whose mom told him not to fight the bullies and he gets no girls at all. Gandhian mindset is itself corrupted. Well I think Politicians are not so morally obsessed because they do win elections by dirty means. They cant think the sane about country's geopolitical future because they are self serving. If not, then why does SPG, NSG and SG seem better equipped, trained and facilitated because our nation's priorities are civil authorities or alike and the military is equally to blame for complacency.

Kumaoni

That's the problem right there. Unless and until we don't strategize the efforts of the military to gain political victory we will keep having stalemates with the enemy. Keep being the chomu looser of the class whose mom told him not to fight the bullies and he gets no girls at all. Gandhian mindset is itself corrupted. Well I think Politicians are not so morally obsessed because they do win elections by dirty means. They cant think the sane about country's geopolitical future because they are self serving. If not, then why does SPG, NSG and SG seem better equipped, trained and facilitated because our nation's priorities are civil authorities or alike and the military is equally to blame for complacency.
Well, the onus is on Indians to fix their minds and stop having a soft spot for the enemy.

rkhanna

Country flag
Military only exists in a GeoPolitical sphere and is influenced and guided by it. No student of Military Strategy / Tactics studies outside of it.

I only care strictly if the military result. This socio political defeat or whatever it’s called, I haven’t looked much nor do I care.
I will laud your articulation of what you do know. I will caution you on your arrogance of ignoring what you dont understand. For what its worth.

With a gov as incompetent as india, which is plagued by gandhian mindset, it’s actually a shocker that it hasn’t suffered more socio political defeats
Today's indian Military is growing closer in competence and risk averseness to what you percieve the GOI to be.

GeoPolitics includes the pursuit of a domestic and foriegn policy - the Mlitary is only ONE arm to to achieve results in both. The Mliitary helps in nation building, security, diplimatic alliances etc.

We have had great successes yes - and trust me i can tell you as interesting battles won in Africa like in India. But people with your similar mindset (all is well - sare jaha se acha) have plagued and poisned MOD and Army HQ for a long long time (since the bofors scandal IMO).

And we need to evolve and rethink the paradigm otherwise we are doing the same shit expecting a different result.

The Future War could well be against Multiple OpFors on 2 borders + internal disturbances. One of which will be a power significantly stronger than us Militarily, Economically and Diplimatically (in our AO)

Add later: On this whole concept of 'Gandhian'

How would you have wanted India or the Indian Military to behave differently post independence? We were a bankcrupt broke ass country almost at the level of sub saharan Africa. the 70s almost broke us in many ways. What did you want us to do? We have countries in the world who were similar to us to adopted belligerent internal and foriegn policies. anybody wants to compare where we compare today?

The "Gandhian" govt served its time and place WELL. never discount that - the institutions put in place for a $2000 per capita GDP economcy today - RBI, Supreme Court, Election Commision, our Bueracracy, DRDO, ISRO, Parliament, IITS, IIMs, etc etc are actually unpresendented for the entirety of Human History.

Whatever the ills - dont discount that.

The india NOW is different from yesterday and so should the military and the india tomorrow will be different from today - so should the military.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles