Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Is there any possibility that some of the gear is not made public for photo-ops like these?
No. This was all for show. Wouldn’t surprise me if this is all brand new kit bought out just for VVIP visits, everything looks pristine

They displayed all they had

Mikel

Country flag
No. This was all for show. Wouldn’t surprise me if this is all brand new kit bought out just for VVIP visits, everything looks pristine

They displayed all they had
I guess that's likely. But in the Nagrota encounter we did see high-cut helmets and some basic comm equipment. The inconsistency is quite baffling though.

abingdonboy

Country flag
I guess that's likely. But in the Nagrota encounter we did see high-cut helmets and some basic comm equipment. The inconsistency is quite baffling though.
Still don’t know who that unit was.

What was displayed today is basically what the average army SF team has today. A few things here and there will be different depending on mission

Alligator

Country flag
One problem I have noticed with Indian sf is their organisation
We have 9 para battalions but no sf hq and no support battalions
We are moving towards theatre commands in the near future and sf should also have area of responsibilities based on it
1,3,10 para can be part of western theatre(j&k to gujrat)
2,4,9 para part of northern theatre (ladhakh,hp, uttrakhand)
11,12,21 para part of eastern theatre Sikkim, Bhutan, Arunachal)
Furthermore these battalions instead of being independent should be part of a brigade sized sf formation (1 for each command)
Such formation would have a hq +3 battalions + 1 support battalion
The support battalion would have 4 companies
1 responsible for training and equipment
1 reconnaissance company
1 military intelligence company
1 signals company
There are several advantages to adding a support battalion
Training and support battalion would provide terrain and adversary specific training to battalions and would ensure uniformity in equipment
(This is imp as we saw during 2015 mayanmar strike that 21 para had to be called back from UN deployment)
The military intelligence company being an organic part of sf would help improve intell collection and would collate intel from different sources (raw,dia,ntro etc)
The signals company is necessary as we prepare for a conflict with a bigger adversary like china
Sf would need to work in a jamming heavy and gps denied battlefield and a dedicated signals unit would ensure that commanders at base are in touch of sf units deep behind enemy lines
Recce company is also a vital force multiplier and would free sf teams this task and would allow them to focus on their primary mission
Many if not all of these capabilities are part of sf battalions but as the theatre of war becomes bigger and operations more complex reorganizing sf would exponentially improve their Warfighting ability
As for ci/ct/un ops go all sf battalions can be deployed in rotation while still maintaining a desired force level for each theatre

12arya

Country flag
Disclaimer: im someone who puts our armed forces on a pedestal and im not criticising those honest army officers and soldiers or defence professionals on this forum.

Rant:
I'm not an expert either but this is a layman's rant!

Our SF veterans have been clamouring for their an SF regiment for ages but their requests have fallen on deaf ears. The army cannot blame the MOD officials for this since I'm pretty sure they don't even know the difference btw SF and regulars.

Yes, Congress was corrupt and apathetic towards the armed forces yet many army seniors manage to grab money thru corrupt ways! Y didn't any COAS before VK Singh spoke up against arms dealers? Or arms lobby was present only during his tenure! I believe it was in the sukna land scam in which many senior army officers were found to be guilty.Also read abt the ketchup colonels nd a CO who put his wife's hairdressing charges as a unit expense; an army doctor couple who never served at forward areas in their entire career!!!

Most of our COAS' r from infantry yet they ordered only tanks for decades and no bpj or even proper camo or shoes for soldiers, who is to blame, guys? the politicians or the lobbies inside the army?

Yes, we cannot expect the million-strong army to be corruption free. Go ahead loot as much as u want but arm the SF and those guys at the forefront to the teeth! Give those guys what they ask for and what they need. It's naive to think that there is no corruption in the army.

But i guess(hope and pray) things r changing now, at a snail pace but I 'll still take it over doing nothing.

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
Disclaimer: im someone who puts our armed forces on a pedestal and im not criticising those honest army officers and soldiers or defence professionals on this forum.

Rant:

Our SF veterans have been clamouring for their an SF regiment for ages but their requests have fallen on deaf ears. The army cannot blame the MOD officials for this since I'm pretty sure they don't even know the difference btw SF and regulars.

Yes, Congress was corrupt and apathetic towards the armed forces yet many army seniors manage to grab money thru corrupt ways! Y didn't any COAS before VK Singh spoke up against arms dealers? Or arms lobby was present only during his tenure! I believe it was in the sukna land scam in which many senior army officers were found to be guilty.Also read abt the ketchup colonels nd a CO who put his wife's hairdressing charges as a unit expense; an army doctor couple who never served at forward areas in their entire career!!!

Most of our COAS' r from infantry yet they ordered only tanks for decades and no bpj or even proper camo or shoes for soldiers, who is to blame, guys? the politicians or the lobbies inside the army?

Yes, we cannot expect the million-strong army to be corruption free. Go ahead loot as much as u want but arm the SF and those guys at the forefront to the teeth! Give those guys what they ask for and what they need. It's naive to think that there is no corruption in the army.

But i guess(hope and pray) things r changing now, at a snail pace but I 'll still take it over doing nothing.
The problem with people not understanding corruption ie the civilians is that they imagine a soldier with gun and think that he cannot be corrupt.

Army is like a society where everyone is not a soldier who carries a gun.

There are several branches which have nothing to do with fighting and have in the past been notorious with corruption.

Now we import arms for billions of dollars..its naive to think that corruption doesnt occur.

Smart people tend to think why are we ordering a particual weapon system again and again and the rest of the branches are suffering.

EternalNxg

Country flag

Rant:

I hope the new procurement list of weapons for our SF doesn't become a dream.

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
One problem I have noticed with Indian sf is their organisation
We have 9 para battalions but no sf hq and no support battalions
We are moving towards theatre commands in the near future and sf should also have area of responsibilities based on it
1,3,10 para can be part of western theatre(j&k to gujrat)
2,4,9 para part of northern theatre (ladhakh,hp, uttrakhand)
11,12,21 para part of eastern theatre Sikkim, Bhutan, Arunachal)
Furthermore these battalions instead of being independent should be part of a brigade sized sf formation (1 for each command)
Such formation would have a hq +3 battalions + 1 support battalion
The support battalion would have 4 companies
1 responsible for training and equipment
1 reconnaissance company
1 military intelligence company
1 signals company
There are several advantages to adding a support battalion
Training and support battalion would provide terrain and adversary specific training to battalions and would ensure uniformity in equipment
(This is imp as we saw during 2015 mayanmar strike that 21 para had to be called back from UN deployment)
The military intelligence company being an organic part of sf would help improve intell collection and would collate intel from different sources (raw,dia,ntro etc)
The signals company is necessary as we prepare for a conflict with a bigger adversary like china
Sf would need to work in a jamming heavy and gps denied battlefield and a dedicated signals unit would ensure that commanders at base are in touch of sf units deep behind enemy lines
Recce company is also a vital force multiplier and would free sf teams this task and would allow them to focus on their primary mission
Many if not all of these capabilities are part of sf battalions but as the theatre of war becomes bigger and operations more complex reorganizing sf would exponentially improve their Warfighting ability
As for ci/ct/un ops go all sf battalions can be deployed in rotation while still maintaining a desired force level for each theatre
Like all neo converts they all hate infantry.... and you wish to put them back into Infantry mould ?? I would tend to agree with the proposal provided the Brigade Commander is a general cadre officers or alternatively the SF Officers are made a separate non General Cadre like Artillery or Engineers and kept limited to SF Brigades and SOD only.. Good riddance from Agra Generals... :pound:

I can very well guess what will the the next proposal... To have all SF brigade under Reliance at Bhuj under personal attention of Ambani..

SF brigade under a Division ?? Then we will have a Gorkha brigades, Sikh Brigade and one MAHAR Brigde... Is not Para Brigade enough ?? Since when have SF started functioning as brigaded force?

Do not have support company in SF battalions... bid for one..

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
The problem with people not understanding corruption ie the civilians is that they imagine a soldier with gun and think that he cannot be corrupt.

Army is like a society where everyone is not a soldier who carries a gun.

There are several branches which have nothing to do with fighting and have in the past been notorious with corruption.

Now we import arms for billions of dollars..its naive to think that corruption doesnt occur.

Smart people tend to think why are we ordering a particual weapon system again and again and the rest of the branches are suffering.
Then you do not understand abcd of procurement...
In the Armed Forces even eggs are procured by a MoD babus by tendering . bidding and L1 procedures wherein he can play the vital part ...

Everyone controls the Army ..Army controls nothing.... MES, DES. CDA, DODP. DoD. DRDO. OFB, DPSUs. Railways. Air India, - all of them have a say but not the Defence Forces..

Co of a battalion can sanction even one paisa increase in any one's emoluments or purchase items not provided for in SR and FR.

Emperor Kalki

Country flag

Saumyasupraik

Country flag
NSG H&K PSG1 with Hensoldt ZF 6x42 and Simrad KN203FAB clip-on IR intensifier night sight. New PSG1A1s are equipped with the Hensoldt ZF 3-12x56.

NSG PSG1.jpg

Alligator

Country flag
Like all neo converts they all hate infantry.... and you wish to put them back into Infantry mould ?? I would tend to agree with the proposal provided the Brigade Commander is a general cadre officers or alternatively the SF Officers are made a separate non General Cadre like Artillery or Engineers and kept limited to SF Brigades and SOD only.. Good riddance from Agra Generals... :pound:

I can very well guess what will the the next proposal... To have all SF brigade under Reliance at Bhuj under personal attention of Ambani..

SF brigade under a Division ?? Then we will have a Gorkha brigades, Sikh Brigade and one MAHAR Brigde... Is not Para Brigade enough ?? Since when have SF started functioning as brigaded force?

Do not have support company in SF battalions... bid for one..
You misunderstood the point sir
The proposed sof brigade is not like an infantry brigade or the 50th para brigade
It will be 3 independent brigade sized units one under each tri service theatre command
It will provide organic sof capabilities to a particular theatre of war not to any division or corps of the army
It will help widen the scale and scope of sf deployment and the support battalion would help relieve sf soldiers of other tasks allowing them to have full focus on their mission
Also having a sof brigade is only for organizational purposes , sf would continue to employ small team tactics

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
You misunderstood the point sir
The proposed sof brigade is not like an infantry brigade or the 50th para brigade
It will be 3 independent brigade sized units one under each tri service theatre command
It will provide organic sof capabilities to a particular theatre of war not to any division or corps of the army
It will help widen the scale and scope of sf deployment and the support battalion would help relieve sf soldiers of other tasks allowing them to have full focus on their mission
Also having a sof brigade is only for organizational purposes , sf would continue to employ small team tactics
My Dear Sir,

One needs to be absolutely clear whether one want to be part of Army or not ?

Being part of Army and being able to pick up ranks within its structures means one has to grow up and live in the Army and be part of its structure at various levels so that one is fully trained and exposed to command a RR battalion, an Assam Rifles battalion and being seconded to command an Infantry battalion. a brigade or a division or a Corps. There is no place for being para-dropped into those commands from the sky called SF only.

I beg your pardon but what does a SF guy know about an Infantry battalion or about employment of an Infantry brigade ? Nothing whatsoever.

I see lots of logic in SF being employed only by R&AW at national and international levels. But then please do not call yourself Army and do not have any lean on it. All SF then should be put under a police officer like NSG and be done with it. But the problem is that most of the guys want to eat the cake and have it too.

Do Mani Achhi Nahin Jalim Ek Rang Ho ja
Sarasar Mom yaa tu Sang Ho jaa

( Oh Brute, Do not be double minded. Get as soft as wax or hard as good as a stone)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles