Indian Special Forces (archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

12arya

Country flag
Certain Para SF battalions are believed to be more special than others...how does that work ? Is the difference only in probation standards and equipment...or it's also in training and tasking as well ?
I don't know how this works. as far as i have known, officers r transferred among all SF units so how can one claim one is better!

I have seen officers/jawans of 9 SF serving at 4 SF; 10SF with 21SF, 9SF with 21SF, 1SF with 9SF and so on. so how they can claim so o_O I feel its just them guys bragging:)

COLDHEARTED AVIATOR

Country flag
I don't know how this works. as far as i have known, officers r transferred among all SF units so how can one claim one is better!

I have seen officers/jawans of 9 SF serving at 4 SF; 10SF with 21SF, 9SF with 21SF, 1SF with 9SF and so on. so how they can claim so o_O I feel its just them guys bragging:)
ya exactly...9 para has best records coz they are always in field deployment.

Unknowncommando 2

Country flag

Lupus

Country flag
9 Para SF you are talking about .

They have a big mental factor which is motivation.High standards set from the beginning.Always involved in ops.

So that brings it to paltan ki izzat.

They like to believe that they are invincibles and that helps actually till the first bullet hits you and you realise you are a normal human being.

One incident i will share....

4 terrorists were hiding in a cave in a jungle.RR guys sorrounded them but when they tried to approach they took casualties.

Hence they decided they wont approach.But the location of the cave was also unknown.

So a team of Para was called.

This team had mix bunch of operators from few Para SF units.

Firstly the Para doesnt hang around with RR or regulars because they have a superiority complex.

Secondly withing the mix para sf unit the 9 para sf guys decided they will approach the cave headon without even knowing where the cave is exactly located.

2 operators from 9 para sf charged an upslope and one was hit on the forehead and other on the body... the rest of the operators neutralised the cave bunker.

So this is what they are at the end..their belief that they are invincibles.

Mostly it has gone in their favour..but not in this incident.
It's inevitable that line infantry would often face scenarios which are beyond its ambit of capabilities and Para SF would be an overkill, a Ranger like unit could pick up the baton from RR/INF in such situations and let Paras focus on tasks of strategic importance.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) Rangers are meant for this role in US to shield 1st Special Forces from being dragged into tactical roles, SRG performs a similar task for SAG in the NSG, 1st Archers probably do that for the 4th VIKAS.

It's high time IA raises such a unit/regiment rather than going about further expanding the SF.

( @rkhanna too could perhaps share some wisdom on this)

Waanar

Country flag
It's inevitable that line infantry would often face scenarios which are beyond its ambit of capabilities and Para SF would be an overkill, a Ranger like unit could pick up the baton from RR/INF in such situations and let Paras focus on tasks of strategic importance.

I think (correct me if I'm wrong) Rangers are meant for this role in US to shield 1st Special Forces from being dragged into tactical roles, SRG performs a similar task for SAG in the NSG, 1st Archers probably do that for the 4th VIKAS.

It's high time IA raises such a unit/regiment rather than going about further expanding the SF.

( @rkhanna too could perhaps share some wisdom on this)
TBH, Paras have nearly always been used like 75th Ranger Regiment..
Note: I'm talking about the current role of 75th, not the past.
An article from a Ranger detailed how heavy their deployments are.
He ran 3 thousand-something missions in 6 months. Was deployed at the same time as Task unit Bruiser of USN SEALS (Chris Kyle's task force).
Most people don't have updated knowledge of the role of the 75th. It's gone way beyond cordon, security and light infantry roles....

Lupus

Country flag
He ran 3 thousand-something missions in 6 months. Was deployed at the same time as Task unit Bruiser of USN SEALS (Chris Kyle's task force).
Most people don't have updated knowledge of the role of the 75th. It's gone way beyond cordon, security and light infantry roles....
Could you give the link for this article ?

Waanar

Country flag
https://www.quora.com/profile/Ted-Newton-7

You can read all the answers by this Quoran here. He's an active duty Ranger who writes on quora in his free time..
Lots of interesting tidbits. As for some articles that I read, I think it was on SOFREP before it started charging for subscriptions.
Read a long while back.
Still, Ted here does have a lot to offer, but you'll have to make an account on Quora to read all of em. It's free, go ahead.

Lupus

Country flag
That's an amazing insight, thanks! I did read somewhere that at least 3/4th CAG operators came from 75th but I frankly ignored it as being a result of the size of Ranger Regiment and boy I was wrong.

One more interesting thing. I have seen NSG train with both Green berets as well as 75th which did leave me a bit perplexed but again I didn't pay much attention to it.

So Green berets seem to put a hell lot of focus on UW/FID whereas most of the kinetic stuff is handled by 75th ( and CAG).

Which means Para SF = 1st Special Forces + 75th Ranger with a tilt towards 75th

(I however still believe that we need some sort of intermediate units to relieve Paras of their super infantry roles)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Articles