Indian response to a Pakistani nuclear strike

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
India's stated nuclear doctrine is that it's "deterrent" is a no first use and for inflicting unacceptable damage in retaliatory strikes.

I have a different take on how India should respond to a Pakistani first strike.

Political goals.

India has to dismember Pakistan. We know of Sindh, Baloch, Pakhtun and Balwaristan movements.
India dismembered Pakistan in 1971?
Tell me what great have we achieved politically? Bangladesh has become a much more dangerous Fundamentalist base threatening India without the advantages of Pakistan being directly accused for it?
India thought dismembering Pakistan into two will mitigate the problem but it has not happened so. So did India achieve the Political aim?

Now tell me, how dismembering today's Pakistan could be helpful in achieving a political aim?
The political aim was to cut Pakistan to size and reduce its capacity as an adversary to a half (reduce threat to India by half)
Has India been able to achieve it?

Today's Indian Political aim is to bring an end to Pakistani ability to inflict terrorist pains on India.Dismembering Pakistan, destruction of forces, ruining her economy, making the life hell for them are objective and methods and not "aim".

Can we be clear on that issue then only we can proceed further.

spikey360

Crusader
Country flag
Some people say that India will never strike back in case of Paki nuke attack citing things like minority appeasement, pressure from global community etc.
There are two things to be clarified here.
1 If Pakistan strikes, there will be a nuclear response.
2 The nuclear response will come because no army chief/commander/general on earth will allow his nuclear equipped motherland to go down the drain after a strike from a rag-tag nation like Pakistan simply because he does not officially have the nuclear button. If need be, there will be a military control of government and state of emergency and such a traitor PM will be ousted summarily before our 'birds' are launched.

For all practical purposes, if Pakis launch, it is endgame Pakistan. Within seconds, the missiles will be detected and even before they detonate over India, our missiles will become airborne.

Last edited:

Bhadra

Professional
Country flag
I
Military Objective.

Complete destruction of Paksitans war fighting capabilities. We capture/destroy their air assets and naval assets. With the break up of Sindh and Balocbistan, these assets can be provided to the new states under Indian protection.

There is the china factor in all this India clearly has to use the nuclear first strike threat against china for any interference and since we have already suffered a nuclear strike, it will not be prudent for china to interfere as it will have more to lose than India.

India retaliating in a "glass making" contest in a tit for tat attack will not help long term goals. We can kill those against us with guns and with all the brutality without bothering about human rights as we have already suffered population losses.

An Indian response to Paki nuke attack really does not have to be nuclear.

On the first nuclear strike by Pakistan, launch nuclear attack on China comprehensively. Pakistani nuclear munitions are but a proxy of China. That is the only answer ?? Can India declare it as their stated policy??

That is one way of achieving better deterrence.

If China remains untouched and India Pakistan decimate each other, Chinese would have achieved their aim. So make Chinese pay for their nucs inside Pakistan.

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
India dismembered Pakistan in 1971?
Tell me what great have we achieved politically? Bangladesh has become a much more dangerous Fundamentalist base threatening India without the advantages of Pakistan being directly accused for it?
India thought dismembering Pakistan into two will mitigate the problem but it has not happened so. So did India achieve the Political aim?

Now tell me, how dismembering today's Pakistan could be helpful in achieving a political aim?
The political aim was to cut Pakistan to size and reduce its capacity as an adversary to a half (reduce threat to India by half)
Has India been able to achieve it?

Today's Indian Political aim is to bring an end to Pakistani ability to inflict terrorist pains on India.Dismembering Pakistan, destruction of forces, ruining her economy, making the life hell for them are objective and methods and not "aim".

Can we be clear on that issue then only we can proceed further.
1) the point of the thread is primarily response to a Paki first strike.

India has all options open after suffering a first strike. This thread explores a non nuclear response at least against Pak. Getting China into the picture will be a political decision.

2) Bangladesh liberation has not worked to our complete advantage as successive cong govt botched up including allowing illegals get Indian IDs. But I think if Pakistan was not dismembered then, we could have been worse off on the eastern front. Bangladesh of today as a military threat is non existent though it is a national security threat because of radicals there.

3) another dismemberment of Pak and the way it's constituents are ie Baloch, Sindh, Pakhtoons, certainly bodes well for India.
PakJab cut off from sea. Completely cut to size.

sesha_maruthi27

Country flag
Pakistan attacking INDIA with a nuclear missile is not possible b'cos it will be an end of the WORLD for pakistan and if at all they launch a missile, as we have a missile shield which will operational soon, I don't think that there will be any harm for INDIA even they launch a nuclear missile......

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
lol

the question is does india has Nukes?

wasnt a scientist involved in your nuclear program and present at the time of test.
he said the tests were more of an failure

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
well there is a rumour that pak is establishing a facility

of launching 84 ballistic missile in one go

i doubt there would be any time left for india to react

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
lol

the question is does india has Nukes?

wasnt a scientist involved in your nuclear program and present at the time of test.
he said the tests were more of an failure
This is not a troll thread. Really not interested in answering or allowing anyone else to divert the attention from the crux of the thread.

farhan_9909

Tihar Jail
Banned
well there is a rumour that pak is establishing a facility

of launching 84 ballistic missile in one go

i doubt there would be any time left for india to react

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Pakistan attacking INDIA with a nuclear missile is not possible b'cos it will be an end of the WORLD for pakistan and if at all they launch a missile, as we have a missile shield which will operational soon, I don't think that there will be any harm for INDIA even they launch a nuclear missile......
Anybody in that neighborhood have tactical nukes >15 KT?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
Anybody in that neighborhood have tactical nukes >15 KT?
Pakistans arsenal is the Chinese CHIC-4. 10-12 KT. You can say yield wise it's all tactical. But then it's all intended for strategic role.

Unless China has proliferated recently (which I suspect it has as Pak is developing Pu based bombs) Pakistan still has first gen kind of bombs.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
Just wondering if you were expecting logic out of the subcontinent's Rednecks?

:confused:

Wrong. Nukes are the last choice weapons. Whoever uses it has just lost the war and thrown the last dice.

Zarvin

A better thread would be, how do we denuclearize both countries before we destroy each other.

Pakistani only got nukes in response to India.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
I think we have missed 2 crucial point in the discussion.

1) Timeline: As per India's & Pakistan's evolving offence & defense capability, second strike SOP would change yearly
2) International Community: Realignment of global Military & Economic powers & interests would also change the second strike SOP yearly

Just my humble 2c...

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
A better thread would be, how do we denuclearize both countries before we destroy each other.

Pakistani only got nukes in response to India.
Answer is NEVER. It's your problem that you think Indian nukes are for Pak. Right at the outset, tr nukes were for China. The program began in right earnest after 62 war. We would have exploded a bomb in 66 after China did in 64 and this with the tacit US support it but we didnt have enough fissile material then. When we did have enough, the US regime had changed and NPT was already formed.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
I think we have missed 2 crucial point in the discussion.

1) Timeline: As per India's & Pakistan's evolving offence & defense capability, second strike SOP would change yearly
2) International Community: Realignment of global Military & Economic powers & interests would also change the second strike SOP yearly

Just my humble 2c...
Timeline is the next "26/11".

International community will support India.

Zarvin

Answer is NEVER. It's your problem that you think Indian nukes are for Pak. Right at the outset, tr nukes were for China. The program began in right earnest after 62 war. We would have exploded a bomb in 66 after China did in 64 and this with the tacit US support it but we didnt have enough fissile material then. When we did have enough, the US regime had changed and NPT was already formed.
But it isn't our problem, it's yours now too, hence this thread. Whether it was intended for China or Somalia is irrelevant, the backlash of your other neighbors(just one of many neighbors that have a problem with India) was expected.

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
But it isn't our problem, it's yours now too, hence this thread. Whether it was intended for China or Somalia is irrelevant, the backlash of your other neighbors(just one of many neighbors that have a problem with India) was expected.
Our nukes didn't make SL, BD, Nepal, Maldives go for nukes. It's the perpetual parity seeking Pakis who had to. You do not come under our radar. Except for when it comes to terror. We have our own plans for our country and its future.

Zarvin

Our nukes didn't make SL, BD, Nepal, Maldives go for nukes. It's the perpetual parity seeking Pakis who had to. You do not come under our radar. Except for when it comes to terror. We have our own plans for our country and its future.
And the perpetual parity seeking Indians who believes that China's nukes were meant for them. Let's not forget Pakistan was ahead of India in almost everything at the time, whereas you will forever be at the feet of the Chinese-Geographically and likewise in everything else.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles