Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

binayak95

Country flag
why would they feel like that?
Yaar look at it this way - English is considered to be an aspirational achievement, in all practicality.

Officers will be going around as leftenant and commander and your sailor be Navik instead of Leading Seaman.

Second point, I am an Odia, i dont get hindi as well as English - though it is rather close to sanskrit and thus familiar.

Your vast majority of sailors are Malyali, Tamil, Kannada, Odias
Ghanta samjhenge ranks.

The English ranks were common sensical. the name told you what their qualifications were shouldnt have been touched

Narasimh

Country flag
Yaar look at it this way - English is considered to be an aspirational achievement, in all practicality.

Officers will be going around as leftenant and commander and your sailor be Navik instead of Leading Seaman.

Second point, I am an Odia, i dont get hindi as well as English - though it is rather close to sanskrit and thus familiar.

Your vast majority of sailors are Malyali, Tamil, Kannada, Odias
Ghanta samjhenge ranks.

The English ranks were common sensical. the name told you what their qualifications were shouldnt have been touched
That is what this govt wants to do.. to remove the aspirational aspect that comes with English.. decolonize the minds as they say.. If sailors are given proper context to the origins of their ranks and told about the saga of the past brave heros who wore these ranks, they might appreciate it. All these coastal states you mentioned had rich naval history and if rank names from each of their cultures is picked, they would wear it with well I hope.. btw Odia word for Navik is Nabika isn't it? Blame my wife if it isn't.. she is Odia

Blood+

Country flag
That is what this govt wants to do.. to remove the aspirational aspect that comes with English.. decolonize the minds as they say.. If sailors are given proper context to the origins of their ranks and told about the saga of the past brave heros who wore these ranks, they might appreciate it. All these coastal states you mentioned had rich naval history and if rank names from each of their cultures is picked, they would wear it with well I hope.. btw Odia word for Navik is Nabika isn't it? Blame my wife if it isn't.. she is Odia
To fir toh Officer ranks ko pahle change karna tha na?? This will only serve to widen the already existing gap between the officer class and the enlisted.

OutForVendetta

Country flag
To fir toh Officer ranks ko pahle change karna tha na?? This will only serve to widen the already existing gap between the officer class and the enlisted.
Voh bhi ho sakta hai bhai, its not like the government has swore they wont change the ranks of officers. Changing names might seem a small enough task but asks someone who works in administration, it isnt ! I think the gov will do the same with the NCO and JCO ranks for the air force in some time as well to align with the army Person Below Officer Ranks

Jimih

Country flag
So the English word "Petty" should be "Common-sensical" with the JCOs and NCOs?

And also the word "Seaman" doesn't makes sense when Indian Navy is also recruiting women as JCOs and NCOs.

Don't bring Indic names (it's okay), but atleast correct the English ones.

Global Defence

Articles