Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag
Not that i have a personal problem but calling indian ew systems being developed by help of CHINESE is a big blunder in name of research too also he quoted wrong ranges for brahmos and many other small mistakes which can be overlooked
also mixed up barak 8 (short range SAM? IG he confused with Barak 1)

Hes generally a good source on submarine stuff, and US procurement. FOr other countries procurements, he tends to get specs from questionable sources and thus messes up analysis. I remember once he said that the TAL torpedo was designed by reverse engineering MK54 US torpedo, when the TAL was developed long before we ever got first MK 54.

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
NAVANTIA S-80 plus complete ToT offer. | BrahMos Integrated on Indian Submarine
It's scorpene based only, they just did a further development while our losers are buying it from them. Good choice

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag
Just imagine how many Barak 8s could be stuffed inside a single Brahmos VLS. That's why I keep repeating over and over again that Brahmos VLS should be used as base for the upcoming UVLS systems albeit with different lengths.
4 easily imo thats 32 missiles in 8 vls cells it could easily take the number of missiles to 8 brahmos anti shipping missile + 48 air defence missiles (barak-8 type) + 16-32 vlsrsam = 62-78 missiles on kolkata class type ddg

Aniruddha Mulay

Just imagine how many Barak 8s could be stuffed inside a single Brahmos VLS. That's why I keep repeating over and over again that Brahmos VLS should be used as base for the upcoming UVLS systems albeit with different lengths.
Barak 8 can definitely be quad-packed into the Brahmos UVLM similar to how ESSM is quad-packed in the Mk41 VLS.

Samej Jangir

Country flag
MRSAM has 0.225m diameter while Brahmos has 0.6m diameter. So, it may be able to quadpack in Brahmos VLS. But that VLS will require significant modification and will not be able to be used for both Brahmos & MRSAM interchangeably. Any switch from MRSAM to Brahmos will require the compartments to be removed which is not possible during operational duties.

This is why it is best to keep them different & separate. Since AShM is epxected to have at least 300-400km range and a big warhead whereas MRSAM has only 70km range with small warhead, it is not realistic to expect the launcher sizes to ever become similar.

The best optimisation is to use LRLACM & Brahmos from same launcher as their diameters are similar and the missiles can be loaded interchangeably as per needs.

Blood+

Country flag
MRSAM has 0.225m diameter while Brahmos has 0.6m diameter. So, it may be able to quadpack in Brahmos VLS. But that VLS will require significant modification and will not be able to be used for both Brahmos & MRSAM interchangeably. Any switch from MRSAM to Brahmos will require the compartments to be removed which is not possible during operational duties.

This is why it is best to keep them different & separate. Since AShM is epxected to have at least 300-400km range and a big warhead whereas MRSAM has only 70km range with small warhead, it is not realistic to expect the launcher sizes to ever become similar.

The best optimisation is to use LRLACM & Brahmos from same launcher as their diameters are similar and the missiles can be loaded interchangeably as per needs.
Kindly learn to keep your damn mouth shut when you know absolutely fuck all about the subject being discussed, thank you.

Smoothbore125mm

Country flag

it is entirely possible if the reloading sustem is developed to reload without removing the entire compartment and the prows would be we could be interchanging load out for the mission requirement the enemy wouldnt know if we have 32 barak-8 with 16 brahmos or 50 barak 8 with 8 brahmos too it would give extensive capabilities and regarding nirbhay i think it would be nasm mr which would be used in ships not nirbhay

Samej Jangir

Country flag
it is entirely possible if the reloading sustem is developed to reload without removing the entire compartment and the prows would be we could be interchanging load out for the mission requirement the enemy wouldnt know if we have 32 barak-8 with 16 brahmos or 50 barak 8 with 8 brahmos too it would give extensive capabilities and regarding nirbhay i think it would be nasm mr which would be used in ships not nirbhay
Yes, it is possible to have mechanism to remove the compartments on board itself. But I am not sure even Mk41 has that ability for now. Modifying such a big system on the deck is not easy. As far as enemy knowledge is concerned, it is difficult to know how many missile reloads are present onboard even if number of launchers are detected. Also, if one has to anyways do the modification onshore, then the choice would depend on whether it is easier to replace the VLS system as a whole (they are modular & plug and play) or if it is easier to add/remove compartments. I am not sure which option is faster & convenient.

As for NASM, that is indeed a better Antiship missile as it is smaller and more practical than LRLACM. Also, it is unlikely that one would need to fire 1000+km antiship missile in a real scenario. However, my opinion is that for antiship roles, it is pointless to have subsonic cruise missiles when there is no major weight or space constraints. So, Brahmos is enough for antiship roles while LRLACM is for attacking long range land targets just like how USA or Russia launches missiles from its ships. Depending on the mission, one can adjust the number of Brahmos & LRLACM while keeping the SAM missile numbers fixed with a bias towards conservative side as attacks are unpredictable in general.

Articles