Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

THESIS THORON

Country flag
From the nuke sub thread. Applicable to SSK's too.

BHEL Annual Report states that they delivered first indigenously developed Reserve propulsion motor and a 500 kW Main Motor Generator for submarine applications in 2020-21

BHEL is working with Navy to develop a Lithium-ion battery suite for submarine applications.

BHEL has developed a 350 kW reversible Permanent Magnet Synchronous propulsion unit which has successfully completed 2500 hours of endurance testing. ( Possibly a subscale prototype for SSK/SSN drive motor) 🤫
noob question

is this pumpjet propulsion??

sorcerer

Country flag
Indian Navy to build, operate a mix of nuclear, conventional submarine fleet
ANI |

4 minutes

Updated: Oct 04, 2021 18:00 IST
By Ajit K Dubey
New Delhi [India], October 4 (ANI): Against the backdrop of Australian decision to scrap a USD 90 billion deal with France to build conventional diesel-electric submarines and opt for building nuclear boats only, a senior government official on Monday said the Indian Navy will operate a mix of both nuclear and conventional submarines to deal with the threats around the country.

sorcerer

Country flag
Aircraft Carrier Vikrant To Go For Phase-II Trials In October End, Likely To Be Commissioned In August 2022
India's first indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC-1) Vikrant will sail out for the second phase of sea trials in October end.

A report in The Hindu says aircraft carrier Vikrant could be handed over to the Indian Navy in April 2022 and commissioned in August 2022.

In the second phase of the trials, a thorough check would be performed on the complete habitat, including each of the over 2,300 compartments.

SajeevJino

Long walk
Country flag
Aircraft Carrier Vikrant To Go For Phase-II Trials In October End, Likely To Be Commissioned In August 2022
India's first indigenous aircraft carrier (IAC-1) Vikrant will sail out for the second phase of sea trials in October end.

A report in The Hindu says aircraft carrier Vikrant could be handed over to the Indian Navy in April 2022 and commissioned in August 2022.

In the second phase of the trials, a thorough check would be performed on the complete habitat, including each of the over 2,300 compartments.
Nice, an Aircraft carrier with no Jets,

or we rent some MiG from Poland or Romania, then we pay some $2 billion for adding arrestee hook and wheel strengthening

still remebering Adm Arun Praksh article on MiG 29k

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Nice, an Aircraft carrier with no Jets,

or we rent some MiG from Poland or Romania, then we pay some $2 billion for adding arrestee hook and wheel strengthening

still remebering Adm Arun Praksh article on MiG 29k
Thankfully for us, Chinese carrier aviation is in dire straits as well. At least until their newer carrier fighters come out, which would happen before we get TEDBF.

FactsPlease

Country flag
A formation, wow!
Truly hope that means Mig-29K status been so great to start all sort of tactic/combat drills & programs, no problem. It's exciting news!!

p.s. While some of our members worry we still have NO clue (NOT even budget but only RFI) about squadron on Vikrant (I'm one of them), some already foresee we will rule the ocean from where to where. NOT that sure I should admire that spirit or else.

Gandaberunda

Country flag
A formation, wow!
Truly hope that means Mig-29K status been so great to start all sort of tactic/combat drills & programs, no problem. It's exciting news!!

p.s. While some of our members worry we still have NO clue (NOT even budget but only RFI) about squadron on Vikrant (I'm one of them), some already foresee we will rule the ocean from where to where. NOT that sure I should admire that spirit or else.
Navy will lease super hornet FA-18 for Vikrant and will be replaced by TEDBF

FactsPlease

Country flag
Navy will lease super hornet FA-18 for Vikrant and will be replaced by TEDBF
Strings attached, plus Navy had to adopt another logistics system (yes, partly eased by our inching w/ SH-60 and P8I). And still NO ultimate solution for shore-based units - without those units, I won't call our Navy aviation is complete.
But just like I had to agree w/ @Bleh for STOBAR for 3rd India carrier: since there is NO perfect solution for now, we may have to accept what we have, not what we want.

ladder

Country flag
It's October already, any news about commissioning of INS Visakhapatnam?

Bleh

Laughing member
Country flag
Strings attached, plus Navy had to adopt another logistics system (yes, partly eased by our inching w/ SH-60 and P8I). And still NO ultimate solution for shore-based units - without those units, I won't call our Navy aviation is complete.
But just like I had to agree w/ @Bleh for STOBAR for 3rd India carrier: since there is NO perfect solution for now, we may have to accept what we have, not what we want.
There is nothing to agree or disagree.

Teddy is being this are designed for a STOBAR career.. the thing is not getting serpentine air intake because that cause a minimal loss of thrust. The whole design concept of Teddy is first priority to max-possible take off payload. They would not have bothered with any of that if there was even a slightest chance of even a steam-power CATOBAR.

sorcerer

Country flag
MULTILATERAL MARITIME EXERCISE MALABAR 2021 – PHASE II IN BAY OF BENGAL 12 – 15 OCT 21

Posted On: 10 OCT 2021 5:57PM by PIB Delhi

The Indian Navy (IN) would be participating in the Second Phase of Multilateral Maritime Exercise Malabar along with the Japan Maritime Self Defence Force (JMSDF), Royal Australian Navy (RAN) and the United States Navy (USN). The exercise is being conducted in the Bay of Bengal from 12 – 15 Oct 2021. First Phase of the exercise was conducted in the Phillipines Sea from 26 – 29 Aug 2021.

The Indian Navy’s participation includes INS Ranvijay, INS Satpura, P8I Long Range Maritime Patrol Aircraft and a Submarine. The US Navy will be represented by the Aircraft Carrier USS Carl Vinson along with two destroyers, USS Lake Champlain and USS Stockdale. The JMSDF will be represented by JS Kaga and JS Murasame. Whilst, the Royal Australian Navy will be represented by HMAS Ballarat and HMAS Sirius.

The Second Phase of the exercise would build upon the synergy, coordination and inter-operability developed during the First Phase of the exercise and would focus on advanced surface and anti-submarine warfare exercises, seamanship evolutions and weapon firings.

The Malabar series of exercises, which began as an annual bilateral naval exercise between India and the US in 1992, has seen increasing scope and complexity over the years. The 25th edition of MALABAR, being conducted in two phases, while observing all protocols during the COVID-19 pandemic, is reflective of the commitment of the participating countries to support a free, open, inclusive Indo-Pacific as well as a rules-based international order.

Covfefe

Country flag
Members, what could be the possible reason for a 5-day long-haul of a US Navy General in India? I mean apart from the usual bs- democracy, freedom, rule-based world order, free indo-pacific, and blah blah.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles