Indian Navy Developments & Discussions

SUPERPOWER

Country flag
P 15 termit missile used as coastal deefence battery
I am just wondering what kind of carriers they are beautifully designed...Is it Indian? Why cant we design a missile carriers for our Agni's.!!!!!

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
I am just wondering what kind of carriers they are beautifully designed...Is it Indian? Why cant we design a missile carriers for our Agni's.!!!!!
A new type of vehicle has been designed

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag

More Scorpenes?

THESIS THORON

Country flag

More Scorpenes?
YES I THINK. OTHERWISE SUBMARINE BUILDING INFRA WILL BE WASTED DUE TO NO PROJECT IN PIPELINE
I THINK IT WILL HAVE VLS AND AIP INSTALLED SOMETHING LIKE SUPER KALVARI

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
YES I THINK. OTHERWISE SUBMARINE BUILDING INFRA WILL BE WASTED DUE TO NO PROJECT IN PIPELINE
I THINK IT WILL HAVE VLS AND AIP INSTALLED SOMETHING LIKE SUPER KALVARI
Nothing confirmed but most optimum route should be sticking tk kalvari class and upgrading it with our system

spiritb2

Country flag
An unknown Indian Navy Vessel possibly a submarine codenamed S-72 sailing through Malacca strait to Vladivostok, Russia. But no vessel with code name S-72 in service with IN or am I missing something ?

ladder

Country flag
An unknown Indian Navy Vessel possibly a submarine codenamed S-72 sailing through Malacca strait to Vladivostok, Russia. But no vessel with code name S-72 in service with IN or am I missing something ?

AIS is broadcasted during innocent passage.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag

Sindhu rakshak

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag

INS Chakra is designated as S71.
So what can this sub be

IndianHawk

Country flag

More Scorpenes?
P75i requirements point to a much bigger sub than scorpion class.
Something over 3000 tons compared to 1800 tons of scorpion.

IndianHawk

Country flag
What do you think will be a good option?
What navy wants can only be satisfied by a new design . No existing submarine offers such capabilities. French can offer something on the lines of attack class submarine they are building for Australia based on barracuda SSN but conventional for Australia.

But that program is delayed and too costly .

German could offer a new design based on type 214 and if they agree to share non magnetic hull technology then there chances are higher. But that's doubtful too.

Rest are not going to make it. Spanish program is a flop . Russian is immature.

So french vs German it is.

Gessler

Country flag
What navy wants can only be satisfied by a new design . No existing submarine offers such capabilities. French can offer something on the lines of attack class submarine they are building for Australia based on barracuda SSN but conventional for Australia.

But that program is delayed and too costly .

German could offer a new design based on type 214 and if they agree to share non magnetic hull technology then there chances are higher. But that's doubtful too.

Rest are not going to make it. Spanish program is a flop . Russian is immature.

So french vs German it is.
If MDL and L&T are the only builders from our side, then their preferred Strategic Partners are also certain to be French & Russians respectively. The latter will obviously offer a version of Amur with AIP & VLS module (like those shown at defence expos several times before, pic below).

It's true that TKMS is the only company out there that actually designed and/or assisted in building any actual existing diesel/AIP sub that begins to approach our requirements under P75I with VLS and everything else (South Korean developments of U214 being case in point) however our Strategic working relationship with post-Kohl Germany simply hasn't been the best & I doubt we will be intent on working with them even if they do offer modified 214 with all requisite ToT.

Which leaves us with the French, it'll be truly interesting what they offer. If we stick to our guns with these broad requirements under 75I, the French offer will certainly have to be something unlike anything we've seen from them before. Even the Australian Shortfin Barracuda is not a good comparison as it lacks both AIP & VLS and instead prioritizes range & endurance.

French P75I offer will likely be smaller than Shortfin length-wise. We already know that we'll be integrating Scorpenes with our AIP modules down the line & Naval Group is willing to help us do it, I have to wonder if we can't just add a plug-in VLS module to the Scorpene design similarly.

Lonewolf

Psychopathic Neighbour
Country flag
If MDL and L&T are the only builders from our side, then their preferred Strategic Partners are also certain to be French & Russians respectively. The latter will obviously offer a version of Amur with AIP & VLS module (like those shown at defence expos several times before, pic below).

It's true that TKMS is the only company out there that actually designed and/or assisted in building any actual existing diesel/AIP sub that begins to approach our requirements under P75I with VLS and everything else (South Korean developments of U214 being case in point) however our Strategic working relationship with post-Kohl Germany simply hasn't been the best & I doubt we will be intent on working with them even if they do offer modified 214 with all requisite ToT.

Which leaves us with the French, it'll be truly interesting what they offer. If we stick to our guns with these broad requirements under 75I, the French offer will certainly have to be something unlike anything we've seen from them before. Even the Australian Shortfin Barracuda is not a good comparison as it lacks both AIP & VLS and instead prioritizes range & endurance.

French P75I offer will likely be smaller than Shortfin length-wise. We already know that we'll be integrating Scorpenes with our AIP modules down the line & Naval Group is willing to help us do it, I have to wonder if we can't just add a plug-in VLS module to the Scorpene design similarly.
Aip is not big deal to be added but depends on our submarine that if it could retain its manuverability with it or not , even if we go for aip addition ,for vls addition ,power of submarine will be inadequate , maybe we may go for a highly customized kalvari , like addition of iep ,as tender was out to design , develop ,and test a 5 mw motor , if kalvari engine can be upgraded for higher power , then we can add vls compartment too , with some modifications in it's crew compartment and all , reducing wastage of space ,also hull may need to be widened a bit to not sacrifice design characteristic of kalvari as length is increased .

The 5 mw motor will be for suitable for 3 kt+ class of submarine ,but we don't have any of it as of now , but in brochure it was written for retrofitting ,but retrofitting what ?

Hull too need to be modified to increase diving depth and all , we can do it on our own ,but french are required to do it in such short time period .

Global Defence

New threads

Articles