Indian MBRLS Pinaka Thread

Chinmoy

Country flag
Indian Pinaka is probably copy of Russian Smersh of 1990s model. DRDO leant the physics of these toys from Smerch and then built their own allaying Russian objection of copy without Royalty payment. The first instalment of Pinaka had 45 km range. It took ten years of bad project management to extend it to 65-70km and now it is 80-85 range.
A small correction. Pinaka is upgrade over the Grad-21. IA wanted a longer range rocket then the 122 mm Grad. So the 214 mm Pinaka was built back in late 80's.

Smerch on other hand came to India in 2006.

SKC

Country flag
‘Russia is four times bigger than Ukraine, but still Russia is bogged down in Ukraine .
You have to keep in my mind Russia is not following their traditional way of warfare.

If they have followed what they did in 2nd Chechen war then war would have finished in 2 months itself. Russia had to spend Billions for 2 decades in Chechen to revive it. They don't want to do the same in region they have invaded in Ukraine. They have their own people in those region and don't want to destroy it.

Aniruddha Mulay

Country flag

An important thread,

1) Armenia has acquired Pinaka- 37.5km, Pinaka Enhanced- 45km and Guided Pinaka- 75km under the recently signed Pinaka MBRL deal.

2) Solar Industries is currently working on a 130-150km range rocket system which will be superior to the BM-30 Smerch.

3) Solar Industries is also working on a 250km range Brahmos like system which will cost only Rs.8 crore compared to the Rs.40 crore Brahmos

LondonParisTokyo

Country flag

An important thread,

1) Armenia has acquired Pinaka- 37.5km, Pinaka Enhanced- 45km and Guided Pinaka- 75km under the recently signed Pinaka MBRL deal.

2) Solar Industries is currently working on a 130-150km range rocket system which will be superior to the BM-30 Smerch.

3) Solar Industries is also working on a 250km range Brahmos like system which will cost only Rs.8 crore compared to the Rs.40 crore Brahmos
Less talking, more doing. Why? Because now I want to know timeline and will feel sad when they say 10+ years away :'(

Hari Sud

Country flag
Could you please compare the performance of the latest Indian made Pinaka MBRLS and American HIMARS.

I know that your first impression would be that the the American rocket is better. My question is ….. how much better in terms of range, accuracy and capability for the truck to reach difficult places, fire and hide etc.

Are the Chinese boasting about their own MBRLS in Ladakh?. Well….. can it hit the reverse slopes in the high mountains? If not then, what are they boasting about?

All these questions arise when some authors paid by the Chinese are heralding their prowess in the high mountains in the Himalayas. Is their any truth to that?

Chinmoy

Country flag
Could you please compare the performance of the latest Indian made Pinaka MBRLS and American HIMARS.

I know that your first impression would be that the the American rocket is better. My question is ….. how much better in terms of range, accuracy and capability for the truck to reach difficult places, fire and hide etc.

Are the Chinese boasting about their own MBRLS in Ladakh?. Well….. can it hit the reverse slopes in the high mountains? If not then, what are they boasting about?

All these questions arise when some authors paid by the Chinese are heralding their prowess in the high mountains in the Himalayas. Is their any truth to that?
Pinaka : 214 mm caliber
M30 MLRS : 227 mm caliber

Pinaka base variant range : 40 km
M30 MLRS base variant range : 70 km

Pinaka unguided accuracy ~ 30 m
M30 GMLRS accuracy : NA

Chinese rockets are of 300 mm which gives them higher range then Pinaka and M30 in the range of Smerch. But whatever you do, you can't go on and attack a reverse slope accurately with rockets. Guided rockets could give you a dive attack capability in such regions, but with depleted range.

Hari Sud

Country flag

Chinese rockets are of 300 mm which gives them higher range then Pinaka and M30 in the range of Smerch. But whatever you do, you can't go on and attack a reverse slope accurately with rockets. Guided rockets could give you a dive attack capability in such regions, but with depleted range.
‘Thank you….

kharabela

Small correction.
Its not a BRAHMOS like system, but a ballistic missile like Prahaar.
The source of that claim comes from this article

Owner only compared the price of brahmos and maheswarastra system he is building . Saying his missile ll be 8 crore with more explosives without a seeker while brahmos is 40 crore . seeker addition ll add 3 crore more . People might have thought its a cruise missile .

Super falcon

Country flag

Sir I'm a pakistani and as usual you and other think I will say us MLRS is better

But I'm not a kind of person that bash what ever is against me my country I take things to a mature and merit basis no matter how good it bad they are

Now come to the topic Pinaka MLRS MRBL what you call it for me it's MLRS

PINAKA is superior to Russian smerch which India already operates

But PINAKA equally better as US made HIMARS infact PINAKA has better rate of fire and accuracy rate than HIMARS

But difference is HIMARS Get better reviews because it is tested in battlefield PINAKA yet to achieve that battle hardened Tag as TB 2 Drones did in Armenian war scinario I'm sure PINAKA Will achieve it very soon

NutCracker

Country flag
Sir I'm a pakistani and as usual you and other think I will say us MLRS is better

But I'm not a kind of person that bash what ever is against me my country I take things to a mature and merit basis no matter how good it bad they are

Now come to the topic Pinaka MLRS MRBL what you call it for me it's MLRS

PINAKA is superior to Russian smerch which India already operates

But PINAKA equally better as US made HIMARS infact PINAKA has better rate of fire and accuracy rate than HIMARS

But difference is HIMARS Get better reviews because it is tested in battlefield PINAKA yet to achieve that battle hardened Tag as TB 2 Drones did in Armenian war scinario I'm sure PINAKA Will achieve it very soon
Only One aspect we might be slightly behind the Western tech is CEP.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag

Infact, the slopes on other sides are not easy to hit with normal sruise missiles. This is the reason why Brahmos MkIII was specifically designed for. Missile need to go high up and then steep dive on target qalmost vertically unlike the normal cruise missile which travels horizontally , keep redicing altitude and hit the target vertically which is on 90 degree up. In bunkers, they are almost parallel to earth and you need to steep dive on it to cause damage. Pralay and Brahmos Mk3 are designed to do that.

Blademaster

Infact, the slopes on other sides are not easy to hit with normal sruise missiles. This is the reason why Brahmos MkIII was specifically designed for. Missile need to go high up and then steep dive on target qalmost vertically unlike the normal cruise missile which travels horizontally , keep redicing altitude and hit the target vertically which is on 90 degree up. In bunkers, they are almost parallel to earth and you need to steep dive on it to cause damage. Pralay and Brahmos Mk3 are designed to do that.
But how expensive is Brahmos? Cost is a major consideration to regard it as either guided rocket artillery which is pretty much a tactical system or as a strategic system only to be used on highly strategic targets given the costs involved.

HariPrasad-1

Country flag
But how expensive is Brahmos? Cost is a major consideration to regard it as either guided rocket artillery which is pretty much a tactical system or as a strategic system only to be used on highly strategic targets given the costs involved.
yes, True. No matter how good is any weapon, it will be useless in mountain unless specifically designed to be used in mountain. M777, Garuda, LCH, Brahmos Blk III, Pralay are mountain specific weapons. They can be used in mountain effectively. Most of Chinese weapons are junk and can not be used in mountains. Most of their planes are useless in mountain. Z 10 can not fly in Himalayas.

Chinmoy

Country flag
The source of that claim comes from this article

Owner only compared the price of brahmos and maheswarastra system he is building . Saying his missile ll be 8 crore with more explosives without a seeker while brahmos is 40 crore . seeker addition ll add 3 crore more . People might have thought its a cruise missile .
Yeah, we have this habit of falling for half baked or twisted news.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles