Indian MBRLS Pinaka Thread

yourmum

Country flag
So which variant of pinaka did Armenia buy?? Hopefully it's guided one so we can get some self marketing otherwise they can't do much with CEP of unguided ones.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Dimension of Guided Pinaka is 214 mm just like the unguided version. Only difference is in its length.
The width of the missile has missile has increased due to control surfaces.
Don't know for sure but I think guidance computer along with GPS/NavIC receiver also caused increase in width.

Chinmoy

Country flag
The width of the missile has missile has increased due to control surfaces.
Don't know for sure but I think guidance computer along with GPS/NavIC receiver also caused increase in width.
@AnantS has already shared this pic. But let me share it again.

Guided Pinaka.png

Here we could see that the nose cone vanes are actually based on an actuator base (section-III), which means they are folded inside the launch tube and only do gets deployed once launched just like the tail fins. So no point of enlarged dimension due to control surface.

Now look at these pics of Guided Pinaka launch.

Pinaka launch 1.jpg

Pinaka launch 2.jpg

These are screen grabs of the moment when the rocket just emerged from launch tube. Could you see any control surface on it?

Pinaka launch 3.jpg

The control surface however is quite visible in the last pics.

Tiwariji

Country flag
I highly doubt Pinaka was used in Kargil War...I am sure Grad was used..
Read this article .

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
Source.. Cause the only source we got implies that the dimensions are the same.
If dimension were same then we would have not changed the launching pod or reduced the number of barrels. We would have continued with the same proven launch mechanism.
With simple observation one can deduce that due to change in dimensions of individual rockets/missile we had to change the launching pod.

karn

Country flag
If dimension were same then we would have not changed the launching pod or reduced the number of barrels. We would have continued with the same proven launch mechanism.
With simple observation one can deduce that due to change in dimensions of individual rockets/missile we had to change the launching pod.
Where have you observed this ? I'm asking for source not conjecture.. We have done that enough already .

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
@AnantS has already shared this pic. But let me share it again.

View attachment 174184

Here we could see that the nose cone vanes are actually based on an actuator base (section-III), which means they are folded inside the launch tube and only do gets deployed once launched just like the tail fins. So no point of enlarged dimension due to control surface.

Now look at these pics of Guided Pinaka launch.

View attachment 174185

View attachment 174186

These are screen grabs of the moment when the rocket just emerged from launch tube. Could you see any control surface on it?

View attachment 174187

The control surface however is quite visible in the last pics.
If the CEP is 60-80m even for guided Pinaka then I presume this is nowhere near high-precision HIMARS ? It is just some trajectory correction so that the rockets do not fall way off the target.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles