Indian Martian exploration program

pmaitra

Re: Why ISRO's Mars mission,launching next week, is the cheapest

D-Day for India's Mars mission: Will India succeed where China failed?

Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO), chief Dr. K. Radhakrishnan on Tuesday said the Indian Mars mission spacecraft will be moved from the earth-centric orbit towards the sun-centric orbit on December 1.

"The Mars orbital spacecraft is in good health. The apogee (farthest point from earth of the spacecraft is nearly 1.93 lakh km. On the first of December, we expect to move the spacecraft from the earth's orbit towards Mars. That's the main action," he said.

ISRO has successfully raised the orbit of the Mars Spacecraft for the fifth time since it launch on November 5 this year into the earth-bound orbit by the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV-C25).

The Mars Orbiter Mission blasted off from Satish Dhawan Space Centre in India's Sriharikota with the satellite scheduled to start orbiting Mars by September, searching for methane and signs of minerals.

Only the United States, Europe, and Russia have sent probes that have orbited or landed on Mars. Probes to Mars have a high failure rate and a success will be a boost for national pride, especially after a similar mission by China failed to leave Earth's orbit in 2011.

Analysts say India could capture more of the USD 304 billion global space market with its low-cost technology. Even so, it has drawn criticism in a country suffering from high levels of poverty, malnutrition and power shortages and experiencing its worst slowdown in growth in ten years. India's ties with its neighbour are marked as much by competition as cooperation.

Government scientists deny any space race, but analysts say India has stepped up its programme because of concerns about China's civilian and military space technology.

With the mars mission being successful so far, Dr. Radhakrishnan said: "As far as the GSLV is concerned, we are now assembling the vehicle, the first stage has been assembled already, the four strap-ons are getting ready for assembling and by December we must have the flight of GSLV (Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle)-D5."

India's space programme began 50 years ago and developed rapidly after Western powers imposed sanctions in response to a nuclear weapons test in 1974, spurring scientists to build advanced rocket technology. Five years ago, its Chandrayaan probe landed on the moon and found evidence of water.

The relative prowess in space contrasts with poor results in developing fighter jets by India's state-run companies. The Mars Orbiter Mission plans to search for methane in the Martian atmosphere, the chemical strongly tied to life on Earth. Recent measurements made by NASA's rover, Curiosity, show only trace amounts of it on Mars.

India's mission will also study Martian surface features and mineral composition.

⇛ Click to see a unique animated trajectory of MOM from earth to mars:

Read more at: D-Day for India's Mars mission: Will India succeed where China failed? : South, News - India Today

bhramos

Country flag
Re: CNBC on India's Mars Mission (MANGALYAAN).

Last edited by a moderator:

Free Karma

TBH, Dont see anything wrong being said here...

What part did you think was offending?

bhramos

Country flag

BBC on India's Mars Orbiter Mission (MANGALYAAN) : 1

bhramos

Country flag

BBC on India's Mars Orbiter Mission (MANGALYAAN) : 2

bhramos

Country flag

BBC on India's Mars Orbiter Mission (MANGALYAAN) : 3

mehrotraprince

Country flag
Ahmedabad-based Industry wiring Mars mission

Wires are of utmost importance in various projects of the Indian Space Research Organization (Isro), including the recently-launched Mars mission. Since 1982, wires are manufactured & supplied by Ahmedabad-basedFlu-Tef Industries to all the projects of Isro and DRDO and host of all other important projects of the Government of India.

These projects comprise INSAT series satellites, radar imaging satellites, launch vehicle PSLV/GSLV, Agni/ Prithvi missiles, light combat aircraft (LCA), advanced light helicopter (ALH).

Flu-Tef was founded in 1978 by late Jashwant Sanghvi, who held dual engineering degree in mechanical and electrical engineering to develop and manufacture polytetrafluoroethylene (PTFE) wires and cables. It was the blank order from ECIL of 10000m wires that spurred Bharat Sanghvi, younger brother of Jashwant, to manufacture hi-tech wires for use in missiles and satellites.

Bharat, who hold an MA degree, learnt the nuances on the job with his brother and both of them developed self-fabricated machines to manufacture wires indigenously at their Vatva plant.

The turning point for Flu-Tef came in 1982, when a five-member team of Isro visited the plant to confirm that wires were not imported by Flu-Tef but were actually manufactured by them and after satisfying with the same, a maiden order was placed by Isro.

Today, Flu-Tef produces 50,000 metres of wires/cables per day, which shows an increase of almost 2,000% as compared to 2,600 metres of wires/cable per day manufactured by it in 1982, claimed by Bharat.

Bharat is well supported by his brothers Dilip and Ketan. After Jashwant's death, the firm is run by Bharat. And now the legacy is being carried forward by his son Kalpit, a mechanical engineer.

Kalpit added that Flu-Tef had recently supplied 8 lakh metres of high-tech wires which can work at 250 degree Celsius of temperature and are used only for on-board space applications and on-board defense for military aircrafts and helicopters use.

Flu-Tef has developed comprehensive in house test facilities at its plant with a specially-designed testing chambers like cold, hot and humidity to test the reliability of these wires/cables. Scientists from Isro and DRDO often visit the plant. According to Kalpit, the suggestions and inputs by scientists have helped Flu-Tef climb the ladder of success.

Ahmedabad-based Industry wiring Mars mission | idrw.org

bhramos

Country flag

France 24 on India's Mars Mission (MANGALYAAN)

mehrotraprince

Country flag

[video=youtube_share;mQYsG1goXBA]http://youtu.be/mQYsG1goXBA[/video]

After the Pakistanis, I think American news anchors are the most stupid in the world!

@bhramos One thing is common in every video i.e. India-Poverty, China-Failed Mars Mission..........:rofl:

Dedicated to those who criticize our Mars Mission

bhramos

Country flag

@bhramos One thing is common in every video i.e. India-Poverty, China-Failed Mars Mission..........:rofl:

Dedicated to those who criticize our Mars Mission
as you said is correct, we should never become super power is their Intention, our political babus will never make us Richer country..

Bangalorean

Country flag

[video=youtube_share;mQYsG1goXBA]http://youtu.be/mQYsG1goXBA[/video]

After the Pakistanis, I think American news anchors are the most stupid in the world!
I don't see anything bad in this video. What did you find objectionable here?

bhramos

Country flag

I don't see anything bad in this video. What did you find objectionable here?
i dont too see any objectionable, but i only see cry... that India doing Mars Mission... i only see their stomachs burning...

Bangalorean

Country flag

i dont too see any objectionable, but i only see cry... that India doing Mars Mission... i only see their stomachs burning...
I don't even see them crying or their stomachs burning. Bri-turds are notorious for that, but this particular video which I quoted just shows them reporting the mission and analyzing it. I don't see any "crying".

pmaitra

:doh:

I took time to put numerous Mars Mission related threads into one. Now again a new thread has popped up. Why do we need so many threads for one incident?

kseeker

Retired
Isro's Mars mission and India diaspora - The Times of India

Natasha Dighe | Nov 25, 2013, 11.13 PM IST

"The planet Mars - crimson and bright, filling our telescopes with vague intimations of almost-familiar landforms - has long formed a celestial tabula rasa on which we have inscribed our planeto-logical theories, utopian fantasies, and fears of alien invasion or ecological ruin." These words of David Grinspoon, an American astrobiologist, ring true even today.

This neighbor of Mother Earth has long been the subject of astronomical study. Till date, there have been plenty of missions by different countries to come a step closer to understanding the red planet, its morphology, mineralogy and atmosphere. And now, India is one of them. True, this is just the beginning. I also agree that the Mars Orbitter Mission has a long way to go before it takes India's name into the elite few that have actually successfully launched missions to our neighboring planet. But the attempt at something so wonderful in itself is commendable.

And naturally something this big makes big news. That it did. But what surprised me was the seeming lack of enthusiasm of the Indian diaspora in this regard. This generation which updates its friends of every little event in their lives through social networking, had surprisingly little to say about Isro's Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM.)

The Isro website shines with the banner "Indian Space Research Organisation Space Technology in the service of human kind." But I thought I would not even need to go so far as to check this government site. I had hoped I would get all the information I need from proud sons and daughters of the country posting about it on social networking sites like Facebook. Some did too, but I was rather disappointed that there were so very few. Honestly, I got far more 'requests to beat their high online gaming scores' from my Indian friends than I did updates about the Mars Orbiter Mission.

I do hope that everyone realizes the magnitude of Isro's achievement even in this first step of a long ladder to ultimate success in this mission. When I mentioned earlier that very few countries succeeded in such missions, I find it equally important to mention that not all countries tried. Save the big celebrations for the ultimate success but don't overlook the achievements on the way there.

"Mangal" is a word in Hindi and Sanskrit and one of its meanings is auspicious. Also, it is the name denoting the planet Mars. And "Mangalyaan" then is a very appropriate name to informally denote Isro's Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM).

Here's hoping that the "Mangalyaan" is successful in its "Mangal mission" and here's hoping that my brothers and sisters of Indian-origin share my sentiments.

kseeker

Retired
Mars mission's D-day in three days - The Hindu

Updated: November 28, 2013 04:26 IST

Indian Space Research Organisation scientists and engineers monitor the movements of the Mars orbiter at Spacecraft Control Centre in Bangalore on Wednesday.

ISRO readies to thrust spacecraft out of Earth orbit on December 1

The first Indian Mars mission began its last orbit around the Earth on Wednesday morning, even as its controllers prepared for the big night three days away.

On the night of November 30-December 1, the spacecraft will be finally thrust away from the Earth, and all the way towards the Red Planet, after gathering a total escape speed of around 11.4 kms a second.

Indian Space Research Organisation's Scientific Secretary V. Koteswara Rao told a pre-event briefing at the control centre at the Telemetry, Tracking and Command Network (ISTRAC) on Wednesday, "We are planning for the Mars spacecraft to depart the Earth in the early hours of December 1."

'SECOND BIG CHALLENGE'

Dozens of controllers at the Mission Operations Complex at ISTRAC were getting set for what the space agency's chairman, K. Radhakrishnan, earlier termed 'the second big challenge in the Mars mission': the day when they must precisely increase the spacecraft's velocity and slingshot it exactly towards Mars.

Saturday's trans-Mars insertion (TMI) is set for 12.49 am. The spacecraft has been orbiting the Earth once in almost four days or 91.3 hours, since November 16.

About the TMI, Mr. Rao said, "On that day we must burn the liquid engine for roughly 23 minutes, which will impart to it an incremental velocity of 648 metres per second. Then begins a journey of 680 million km over 300 days."

Once it nears Mars, we will have another major operation in September 2014 to make it orbit the planet, he said.

In six orbit-raising operations from November 7 to November 16, the spacecraft has gradually been given its present velocity of 873 metres a second and it reached an apogee (farthest point) of 1.92 lakh km.

Once it moves beyond 2 lakh km, ISTRAC's Indian Deep Space Network at Byalalu would come into the picture with its two large antennas which can track huge interplanetary missions.

The spacecraft carrying five instruments to study Mars was launched on November 5 from Sriharikota.

Keywords: Indian Mars mission, Mars Orbiter Mission, Earth orbit, ISTRAC, Indian Deep Space Network

mehrotraprince

Country flag
Mars orbiter to leave earth tomorrow midnight

Bangalore, Nov 29, 2013, (PTI)
If things go as planned by ISRO, India's Mars orbiter craft would leave the Earth's sphere of influence (SOI) shortly after midnight tomorrow on a nearly 300-day voyage in deep space to the red planet after the "most important" manoeuvre of the ambitious mission.

Indian Space Research Organisation is readying for a 'critical' Trans-Mars Injection (TMI) with firing of the 440 Newton liquid apogee motor (LAM) on board the Mars Orbiter Mission (MOM) spacecraft, launched on November 5, for 23 minutes beginning from 00.49 hours on Sunday (December 1).

This enables orbiter spacecraft to escape from SOI and travel to the vicinity of Mars in September 2014, when the LAM is fired again to slow it down to be captured by Martian gravity into an orbit around it.

"Everything is normal. Everything is going on well", MOM Programme Director M Annadurai told PTI this afternoon. It (TMI) is a very, very critical thing....when compared to any other mission".

Ever since India's first interplanetary spacecraft was launched by Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle in its 25th flight (PSLV-C25) from Sriharikota spaceport on November five, it was in earth-bound orbit.

"TMI is a major operation by which we are pushing the spacecraft into Mars transfer trajectory with the velocity required to leave the earth's sphere of influence", another ISRO official said.

"TMI is a precise operation because one has to ensure that the spacecraft gets into the right trajectory. It has to be done at the precise perigee (nearest point to earth). It's the most important manoeuvre of the mission", the official said.

This injection has to be precise as it will estimate where the spacecraft would be on September 24 (at 6.45 am IST) -- plus or minus 50 kms from the designated elliptical orbit around Mars (366 kms X 80,000 kms).

The ambitious rendezvous to Mars, which tugs at the human imagination like no other planet, is primarily a technological mission considering the critical mission operations and stringent requirements on propulsion and other bus systems of the spacecraft.

The spacecraft has been configured to carry out observation of physical features of Mars and limited study of Martian atmosphere with five payloads. ISRO has incorporated autonomous features in MOM spacecraft to handle contingencies.

Mars orbiter to leave earth tomorrow midnight

Free Karma

Yeah it's completed it's final apogee, and coming down to the perigee, for the last time before we say goodbye and wish it well on it's long journey! Very critical move that's going to happen tomorrow! :scared2: :cool2:

Articles