Indian Martian exploration program

tramp

Third orbit raising manoeuvre done... good progress... but keeping fingers crossed for the crucial Dec 1 exit of earth orbit.. then the long travel through uncharted territory, including a brief period of sun orbit travel.
Wow already fear finger cramps .... thinking of nine months of crossed fingers!!

Free Karma

Third orbit raising manoeuvre done... good progress... but keeping fingers crossed for the crucial Dec 1 exit of earth orbit.. then the long travel through uncharted territory, including a brief period of sun orbit travel.
Wow already fear finger cramps .... thinking of nine months of crossed fingers!!
Yeah that is a big one, the next big event after that is restarting the engine after 300 days, when it gets close to the orbit of mars, and slowing it down so that it can "get caught" by mars, the process is called reverse thrusting, first time our scientists will be doing this, hope it goes well!

I was wondering why the orbit around mars was so unequal, but I got my answer, it's so that the orbiter can capture mars, phobos and deimos, so basically, we get to observe 3 bodies in one orbiter!

This is basically a year long thriller lol, lets hope it has a happy ending!

This november has been fun, mars launch, Tendulkar send off, and Vishy title defence, to start in 5 minutes.

Last edited:

happy

Yeah that is a big one, the next big event after that is restarting the engine after 300 days, when it gets close to the orbit of mars, and slowing it down so that it can "get caught" by mars, the process is called reverse thrusting, first time our scientists will be doing this, hope it goes well!

I was wondering why the orbit around mars was so unequal, but I got my answer, it's so that the orbiter can capture mars, phobos and deimos, so basically, we get to observe 3 bodies in one orbiter!

This is basically a year long thriller lol, lets hope it has a happy ending!

This november has been fun, mars launch, Tendulkar send off, and Vishy title defence, to start in 5 minutes.
You are forgetting taking over charge of Vicky :) Hardly 5 more days to go and counting !!!

happy

The accolades keep flowing !!!!!!!

India’s Frugal Mission to Mars : The New Yorker

INDIA'S FRUGAL MISSION TO MARS

On Tuesday, the Indian Space Research Organisation, the national space agency, lobbed a three-thousand-pound spacecraft called Mangalyaan toward Mars. The orbiter's mission is to map some of the planet's surface and test for methane, a possible marker of life. If Mangalyaan reaches the Red Planet and swings into orbit on schedule next September, that alone would be a remarkable victory: more than half of the forty Mars missions launched around the world have failed. But the I.S.R.O.'s real achievement might lie in its sheer frugality.

Mangalyaan's mission to Mars cost India seventy-three million dollars. For comparison, Boeing prices its least expensive commercial airplane at seventy-six million dollars. And by India's profligate standards of public expenditure, the Mars Orbiter Mission has come cheap: an eight-lane bridge in Mumbai that opened in 2010 spans three miles and cost three hundred and forty million dollars; a proposed statue of a long-dead Indian politician—designed to stand twice as tall as the Statue of Liberty—will cost three hundred million dollars.

The I.S.R.O. has a reputation for austerity, exemplified in a famous photograph from 1981 of India's APPLE satellite being transported on a bullock cart. The agency's scientists are paid between twelve hundred and two thousand dollars a month, and, unusual for space programs, its equipment is endlessly tweaked and recycled: the rocket that carried the Mars orbiter into space was adapted from a launch vehicle that first flew in 1993. Only one physical model of Mangalyaan was ever produced. (The I.S.R.O. relied extensively on software for testing.)

Despite the fanfare surrounding the country's first interplanetary mission, the Mangalyaan launch has revived a well-worn debate that has long surrounded India's space program: Should a country that struggles to adequately feed so many of its people be spending money on missions to Mars? "We can go to Mars but cannot provide clean water to our people on Earth," tweeted Tavleen Singh, a columnist for the Indian Express. On the evening of the launch, the social activist Harsh Mander noted with sadness that the distance between his son sleeping in his bed and the child sleeping on a sidewalk a kilometre away had suddenly become greater than the distance from India to Mars. Jean Drèze, a development economist working in New Delhi, said the Mars mission was "part of the Indian elite's delusional quest for superpower status."

Space programs are easy targets during difficult times; their long-term benefits appear frivolous next to putting food on tables or jobs on the market. NASA, for instance, lost seven hundred million dollars in funding between 2011 and 2012, in the teeth of the recession. But it has been difficult for Mangalyaan to provoke any credible outrage, primarily because the I.S.R.O. has cost the taxpayer so little. Mangalyaan's seventy-three-million-dollar budget is a pittance compared to the twenty billion dollars that India will spend this year to provide subsidized food to two out of every three of its citizens, or the $5.3 billion that will be spent this year on a rural employment plan.

The financing of Mangalyaan has thus barely chipped at the edifice of the Indian welfare state. In fact, at 0.0039 per cent of its G.D.P., India's expenditure on Mangalyaan has been neither lavish nor extraordinary; the United States spent a similar percentage of its G.D.P., 0.003 per cent, in 1962, on the doomed Mariner 1 probe to Venus, which cost eighteen and a half million dollars. The annual budget of the I.S.R.O. is just seven hundred million dollars, or 0.038 per cent of India's G.D.P. This year, NASA will spend sixteen and a half billion dollars, around 0.1 per cent of the American G.D.P.

But the payoffs of space programs can justify their expense. While the exact economic impact of R. & D. spending is difficult to quantify, numerous studies over the years have found significant returns, as much as seven or nine times the investment. The benefits are not just monetary: in a press conference on Tuesday, the I.S.R.O. chairman argued that India's expertise with weather satellites, patiently developed over the years, had enabled predictions precise enough to save thousands of lives during a coastal cyclone the month before. What is impossible to quantify, however, is the ignition of imaginations that attends such successes—the spurt of optimism and confidence that can urge people, even for a brief moment, to lift their eyes upward and aim a little higher.

Samanth Subramanian is the India correspondent for The National.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
Bullock cart obscures Indian quest for space: A sophisticated programme is under threat from the US.
Tim McGirk reports from Bangalore
Monday 10 August 1992

LINK:
independent.co.uk/news/world/bullock-cart-obscures-indian-quest-for-space-a-sophisticated-programme-is-under-threat-from-the-us-tim-mcgirk-reports-from-bangalore-1539449.html

Free Karma

From the mangalyaan facebook page:
The
4th Earth bound
Manoeuver will start at 02:06
Hrs IST &will hurl #ISRO #Mangalyaan to an apogee of 1
lakh km.
The status now is

During this firing an
incremental velocity of 35
m/s has been imparted to
#Mangalyaan . We will
come back to you after
Orbit determination.
Hope everything is okay!

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
Bullock cart obscures Indian quest for space: A sophisticated programme is under threat from the US.
Tim McGirk reports from Bangalore
Monday 10 August 1992

LINK:
independent.co.uk/news/world/bullock-cart-obscures-indian-quest-for-space-a-sophisticated-programme-is-under-threat-from-the-us-tim-mcgirk-reports-from-bangalore-1539449.html
1992? Any useful update on the issue, or are we supposed to feel sorry for India about a US policy of 20 years ago?

Now, however, India's space programme faces the biggest threat in its 20-year existence - from the United States. The Bush administration recently slapped a two-year embargo on selling materials to India's space agency. The US fears the Indians might be developing a new, low-temperature liquid fuel, which could be used to hurl nuclear warheads over great distances. India already has the capability and the materials for making an atomic warhead.
I suppose if India doesn't get to Mars this year "It's Bush's fault!'

You guys are more pathetic than Obama.:yuno:

AVERAGE INDIAN

EXORCIST
Country flag
India's Mars mission 'a symbolic coup' against China: US media

WASHINGTON: India's successful launch of its Mars mission has been described by the mainstream American media as "technological leap" and "a symbolic coup" against China in this field.

"If it succeeds, India's Mars mission would represent a technological leap for the South Asia nation, pushing it ahead of space rivals China and Japan in the field of interplanetary exploration," The Wall Street Journal wrote on Tuesday.

"A successful mission by India's Mars orbiter would make the country the first Asian nation to reach the Red Planet — and provide a symbolic coup as neighbouring China steps up its ambitions in space," the CNN reported, adding that this has given further credence to claims of an intensifying space race developing in Asia, with potentially dangerous ramifications.

"I believe India's leadership sees China's recent accomplishments in space science as a threat to its status in Asia, and feels the need to respond," Dr James Clay Moltz, professor at the US Naval Postgraduate School, told the CNN.

The satellite launched by Isro on Tuesday is expected to enter the Mars orbit next September and is at a significantly lower cost than that of other countries like the United States.

The cost of the Mars mission is USD 73 million, less than a sixth of the amount earmarked for a Mars probe by Nasa that will launched later this month.

The popular National Public Radio (NPR) wrote as to why the India's Mars mission is cheaper than that of the Nasa.

One reason could be the salary of its engineers and scientists, it said.

While the mean annual income for an aeronautical engineer in the United States is just under USD 105,000, the higher end scale for Indian engineers is less than USD 20,000.

"I think labour is the biggest factor, as well as the complexity of the mission.

It takes a whole team of engineers," David Alexander, director of the Rice Space Institute told NPR.

According to Alexander, it appears that India's main goal is just getting to Mars, and so the probe is carrying "relatively simple" and therefore not-so-expensive instrumentation.

"What the Indians want to know is: Will it survive? And will it get into orbit? I think the hope is that even if it fails, they are going to learn something," he said.

Another expert Professor Russell Boyce of the Australian Academy of Science, chairman of the National Committee for Space and Radio Science, said any scientific gains from the mission is unlikely to prove earth-shattering.

"It would be a modest scientific gain that's attempted in the first instance, to demonstrate the capability," he told the CNN.

India's Mars mission 'a symbolic coup' against China: US media - Times Of India

CrYsIs

Country flag
Guys there is something wrong...

The 4th orbit raising firing took place at 2 am but there is still no update on the final orbit in FB.The tracking page of the satellite is also not working.

This has never happened before in the previous three orbit raising maneuvering.

Free Karma

Guys there is something wrong...

The 4th orbit raising firing took place at 2 am but there is still no update on the final orbit in FB.The tracking page of the satellite is also not working.

This has never happened before in the previous three orbit raising maneuvering.

It seems like they only got 1/3rd of what they were supposed to do, atleast from rudimentary calculations, not sure. The best is to wait for clarifications frmo ISRO. The tracking page has not been working for the last 3 days.

use another one,this one is working: SATVIEW - MARS ORBITER MISSION (13060A) - Tracking satellites in Real time

Free Karma

Update on the current situation

A hiccup in the orbital maneuvers for Mars Orbiter Mission | The Planetary Society

Here is the only information I have regarding the cause of the apaprent underburn, from an Indian space blogger (Pradeep Mohandas) who has been a reliable source of information in the past, and who says he had it from someone at ISRO:
Underburn because of some issue with the [Liquid Apogee Motor]. Issue expected to be corrected today and another burn expected tonight or early tmrw morning.

— Pradeep (@pradx) November 11, 2013
So the 440-Newton main rocket motor (the LAM, or Liquid Apogee Motor) didn't run as long as it should have. There's no information yet on why it didn't, but if they're planning to perform another maneuver tonight (i.e. Monday morning California time), it can't be a serious problem. Assuming there is nothing seriously wrong with the spacecraft, it should be straightforward to correct an underburn during this phase of the mission, and the underburn and subsequent correction shouldn't have cost the mission any significant amount of precious fuel.

So it was an underburn! What I'm a little worried about was problems with the engine itself, but if they feel they can do one burn today, then it should be okay. But I really want to know what happened with the burn last night. I guess e just need to wait for a clarification from isro.

Sridhar

House keeper
Country flag
The Satellite just passed Myanmar and at an altitude of 66000 + Km

pmaitra

I hope the Chinese are not firing their lasers at the spacecraft.

CrYsIs

Country flag
they have detected a problem in the LAM....just hoping nothing is serious

nimo_cn

Country flag
Is it because a bulk of the laser beam would be consumed by the polluted skies?
or because the satellite is gonna crash on its own course?

Sent from my HUAWEI T8951 using Tapatalk 2

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles