Indian Economy: News and Discussion

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Indian export crossing 800bilion this year. Do you think it doesn't not require raw material??

Atma nirbhar Bharat doesn't mean we commit suicide and stop import altogether.

Koi bhi Naya kaam ho India me.... Fake economist pahle rone lag jayege.... Ro roke batayenge dekho Desh kaise barbaad ho rha hai... Even for Delhi metro train.
Critical imports is not being stopped nor asked for but point is when other companies are available who has cone design and development here many or max components being sourced from here
What olectra is doing is just acquiring ckd or skd of BYD buses with not even a single Indian component
Just look at how our ev industry growing and maturing many ev cell plants being built many other Critical infra related to ev but olectra can't take benefit of those bcoz the only thing it does is assembling ckd from BYD unlike other companies which will drastically increase Indian components in very short time

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
As an Indian student myself, I have a simple question with respect to the western education system, what is all this "Creative and Critical thinking" that I keep hearing about their education system? Can anyone here cite atleast one example of this "CREATIVE/CRITICAL" thinking?

I had come across some reddit posts where some Indians constantly nag and roast our education system and keep saying things like "INDIAN EDUCATION is the most pathetic education system in the World", or another very famous one, which is "Indian education is all about RATTA MAR AND ROTE LEARNING". Maybe true to some extent but I would say the entire issue is overhyped, I hail from STEM background myself and every one of my teachers encourages us to write answers in our own way. I am pretty much ZeRo in extra curricular activities, I am just a guy who gets first class scores, likes to read a lot about defense, geopolitics etc.

@Physx32 is the Indian syllabus, especially that of Math and Science subjects in India much vast as compared to western syllabus? What can you say about the difficulty level between the two?
Indian school education is more rigorous than any western system, and if a student does well in that, he is on a good footing. But I found the situation to reverse in higher education. Western higher education is tougher than most of our higher education, due to its structure. Western universities make you do far more coursework in the form of assignments, presentations and group projects throughout the semester, apart from exams. These form the bulk of your grade, and are actually tough, requiring critical thinking, active research and teamwork. Indian universities just make you take a few tests and then final exams at the end of the semester. The result is that during most of the semester, students laze around and go through the motions, and then start cramming hard 2 weeks before the exams. Your final year thesis/project is also held to much tougher standards in western universities.

Last edited:

Super Flanker

Aviation and Defence Enthusiast
Banned
Indian school education is more rigorous than any western system, and if a student does well in that, he is on a good footing. But I found the situation to reverse in higher education. Western higher education is tougher than most of our higher education, due to its structure. Western universities make you do far more coursework in the form of assignments, presentations and group projects throughout the semester, apart from exams. These form the bulk of your grade, and are actually tough, requiring critical thinking, active research and teamwork. Indian universities just make you take a few tests and then final exams at the end of the semester. The result is that during most of the semester, students laze around and go through the motions, and then start cramming hard 2 weeks before the exams. Your final year thesis/project is also held to much tougher standards in western universities.
Are the exams conducted by western universities also much more tougher than exams conducted here or are they a bit easier? I have seen many questions of MIT and they are so easy, I have personally solved many questions in MIT entrance exams and I think some of their university exams too, they were not much harder than the problems I solved in 11th grade, I am in 12th right now. I had come across a comment in which there was this Indian who had online friends in the US who were in their first/second year of engineering and their physics problems were comparable to those found in in our own grade XII, nearly on par in terms of difficulty

Compare SAT tests to our own JEE, you will see a stark difference between the two in terms of difficulty, though maybe I would not advise comparing the two as SAT is supposed to simply test what skills you have managed to acquire in your years of schooling before getting admission into a good University, JEE is like the exam which requires you to have a very good understanding of maths, physics and chemistry, which it makes it very tough and rigorous, SAT is a joke in terms of difficulty but the English section there is something that is not everyone's piece of cake, I have heard that even some Americans and Brits struggle with the English but that may simply be me.

There is a very good reason why we see students from India, China, Korea, Japan and other Asian nations flock the top US universities. I think that maybe our education system if it is willing to should promote some research type of projects, I have personally given a PPT presentation for my English assignment last year, but yeah I don't see much assignments, projects etc being given in Indian schools though, most of the assignments given are such that you can simply GOOGLE up information and jog it down and submit to the teacher and you will get your marks.

Suryavanshi

Cheeni KLPDhokebaaz
@Anupu @Kumaoni your Inputs since you did your schooling in Foren.

Concard

Country flag
Are the exams conducted by western universities also much more tougher than exams conducted here or are they a bit easier? I have seen many questions of MIT and they are so easy, I have personally solved many questions in MIT entrance exams and I think some of their university exams too, they were not much harder than the problems I solved in 11th grade, I am in 12th right now. I had come across a comment in which there was this Indian who had online friends in the US who were in their first/second year of engineering and their physics problems were comparable to those found in in our own grade XII, nearly on par in terms of difficulty

Compare SAT tests to our own JEE, you will see a stark difference between the two in terms of difficulty, though maybe I would not advise comparing the two as SAT is supposed to simply test what skills you have managed to acquire in your years of schooling before getting admission into a good University, JEE is like the exam which requires you to have a very good understanding of maths, physics and chemistry, which it makes it very tough and rigorous, SAT is a joke in terms of difficulty but the English section there is something that is not everyone's piece of cake, I have heard that even some Americans and Brits struggle with the English but that may simply be me.

There is a very good reason why we see students from India, China, Korea, Japan and other Asian nations flock the top US universities. I think that maybe our education system if it is willing to should promote some research type of projects, I have personally given a PPT presentation for my English assignment last year, but yeah I don't see much assignments, projects etc being given in Indian schools though, most of the assignments given are such that you can simply GOOGLE up information and jog it down and submit to the teacher and you will get your marks.
I don't know what you saw or what you solved. At MIT if you are in STEM you have 3 options and you can only do 2 of them. Study, Party and Sleep. You can't do all 3 of them in semester. Just because you saw one question paper of 1 or 2 subjects doesn't mean it is easy to graduate from MIT. Getting into MIT and Caltech is very hard and graduating is also very hard. Both these Universities normally only admit their own students in grad programs. If you haven't studied in those Universities and want to apply for grad programs, good luck. You got to have exceptional CV or at the very least studied in one of the top 100 Universities.

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag

Nah
Things which u r saying is only applicable on entrance exam but what he is speaking is regarding college or higher education
The course and syllabus is mordern and more rigorous than ours
Entrance =! Higher education quality

Last edited:

Super Flanker

Banned
I don't know what you saw or what you solved. At MIT if you are in STEM you have 3 options and you can only do 2 of them. Study, Party and Sleep. You can't do all 3 of them in semester. Just because you saw one question paper of 1 or 2 subjects doesn't mean it is easy to graduate from MIT. Getting into MIT and Caltech is very hard and graduating is also very hard. Both these Universities normally only admit their own students in grad programs. If you haven't studied in those Universities and want to apply for grad programs, good luck. You got to have exceptional CV or at the very least studied in one of the top 100 Universities.
Sir, thank you very much for your response, I am planning on getting into a reputed university like IIT, My plan is to first pursue a bachelor's in Mechanical engineering and afterwards a master's in aerospace engineering. Originally I wanted to pursue bachelor's as well masters in aerospace engineering but I got some advice that it is better to do a bachelor's in mechanical engineering because after that you can pursue a master's in any other engineering field.

Also that Aerospace engineering, though it may sound very fancy doesn't have as much job prospect as one might think, I want to work in aerospace sector because I always have a strong love in my heart for aviation+ some astronomical stuff as well. I hail from Goa, we have an IIT in Goa, it offers mechanical engineering course, but for that I need a good ranking in JEE ADVANCED.
Nah
Things which u r saying is only applicable on entrance exam but what he is speaking is regarding college or higher education
The course and syllabus is mordern and more rigorous that ours
Entrance =! Higher education quality
I can't say anything about this.
@Crazywithmath what is your take on this?

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Sir, thank you very much for your response, I am planning on getting into a reputed university like IIT, My plan is to first pursue a bachelor's in Mechanical engineering and afterwards a master's in aerospace engineering. Originally I wanted to pursue bachelor's as well masters in aerospace engineering but I got some advice that it is better to do a bachelor's in mechanical engineering because after that you can pursue a master's in any other engineering field.

Also that Aerospace engineering, though it may sound very fancy doesn't have as much job prospect as one might think, I want to work in aerospace sector because I always have a strong love in my heart for aviation+ some astronomical stuff as well. I hail from Goa, we have an IIT in Goa, it offers mechanical engineering course, but for that I need a good ranking in JEE ADVANCED.

So u want to do masters in aerospace
Better option would be USA bcoz u will get better education and even opportunities be it experience or jobs

Concard

Country flag

Good luck. If you don't get into IIT don't be disappointed. Try getting into NIT and or some decent tier 1 colleges in any state. Karnataka has a reputation for good engineering colleges. Get into one of them if all options fail. But make sure to have your CGPA above 7.0 and have some great projects under your belt. I honestly don't know what kind of projects you can build in aerospace but when you apply for grad school in US or some other country they should get a impression that you are serious about your field of interest and you have got stuff to back up like projects, research papers etc.

India needs aerospace engineers. I hope you can come back after working there for few years and contribute something here.

angryIndian

Country flag
Better option would be USA bcoz u will get better education and even opportunities be it experience or jobs
Getting a job in US Aerospace industry is extremely difficult because of the sensitive nature of the Industry. You have to be a US citizen to work for any Aerospace companies there, even Green Card holders are not permitted to work in any of the companies.

jai jaganath

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Getting a job in US Aerospace industry is extremely difficult because of the sensitive nature of the Industry. You have to be a US citizen to work for any Aerospace companies there, even Green Card holders are not permitted to work in any of the companies.
Basically I have a relative doing aerospace engineering in some tier 2 college and then went to usa for masters and landed job their
So that was my idea
But it's true now aerospace companies are trimming their workforce thus reducing employment opportunities
My whole point was in India there is barely any scope for an aerospace engineer in that field

Super Flanker

Banned
Good luck. If you don't get into IIT don't be disappointed. Try getting into NIT and or some decent tier 1 colleges in any state. Karnataka has a reputation for good engineering colleges. Get into one of them if all options fail. But make sure to have your CGPA above 7.0 and have some great projects under your belt. I honestly don't know what kind of projects you can build in aerospace but when you apply for grad school in US or some other country they should get a impression that you are serious about your field of interest and you have got stuff to back up like projects, research papers etc.

India needs aerospace engineers. I hope you can come back after working there for few years and contribute something here.
Thank you, your advice is greatly appreciated. On the part about some projects that I could do to showcase my passion for aerospace, then maybe I could work on making model aircrafts? In the past I had made a cardboard model of a MiG-21, I didn't manage to finish the top cockpit part though, I built the main frame, the wings and the horizontal stabilizers though. Incase you are curious to see my work, then you may go the "RC modeling" thread which was opened by me last year, there I had posted the picture of the mig's model which I had made, note : I hardly put any effort in making it though, just to inform you in advance, I could have done much better but I could not because I didn't have enough materials in the first place that is why.

Maybe I can also work on making some DIY drones? I don't know how to make a drone or whatever but maybe after my 12th grade when I start my JEE preparation, I will simultaneously learn something like coding/AI programming, just the absolute basics of it though, I have already formulated my strategy for JEE also, for MAINs, if I manage to clear mains then I will apply for ADVANCED, if not then I will stick to getting into an NIT or a good college regardless. Also in the past, like approximate a year back I wanted to work on RC planes, I have some basic knowledge about RC servos, motors, aerodynamics etc. I also wanted to make my own mini cubesat design, like it will be able to take some basic photography of the earth from orbit, etc etc, if you could guide me on how to do so then it will be greatly appreciated, I always wanted to work in close with spacecrafts and aeroplanes.

If you can suggest me any ideas for more simple projects to project my enthusiasm for aero-engines field then it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance sir!🙏
I have no faith at all in moving to the US, khair I don't want to speak about it with my parents, will stick to getting a B.Tech in Mechanical engineering, only then I will pursue masters in Aerospace maybe in abroad or India itself.

Super Flanker

Banned
@Concard
This is the MiG-21 cardboard model which I had made, refer to this post.
Thank you, your advice is greatly appreciated. On the part about some projects that I could do to showcase my passion for aerospace, then maybe I could work on making model aircrafts? In the past I had made a cardboard model of a MiG-21, I didn't manage to finish the top cockpit part though, I built the main frame, the wings and the horizontal stabilizers though. Incase you are curious to see my work, then you may go the "RC modeling" thread which was opened by me last year, there I had posted the picture of the mig's model which I had made, note : I hardly put any effort in making it though, just to inform you in advance, I could have done much better but I could not because I didn't have enough materials in the first place that is why.

Maybe I can also work on making some DIY drones? I don't know how to make a drone or whatever but maybe after my 12th grade when I start my JEE preparation, I will simultaneously learn something like coding/AI programming, just the absolute basics of it though, I have already formulated my strategy for JEE also, for MAINs, if I manage to clear mains then I will apply for ADVANCED, if not then I will stick to getting into an NIT or a good college regardless. Also in the past, like approximate a year back I wanted to work on RC planes, I have some basic knowledge about RC servos, motors, aerodynamics etc. I also wanted to make my own mini cubesat design, like it will be able to take some basic photography of the earth from orbit, etc etc, if you could guide me on how to do so then it will be greatly appreciated, I always wanted to work in close with spacecrafts and aeroplanes.

If you can suggest me any ideas for more simple projects to project my enthusiasm for aero-engines field then it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance sir!🙏

I have no faith at all in moving to the US, khair I don't want to speak about it with my parents, will stick to getting a B.Tech in Mechanical engineering, only then I will pursue masters in Aerospace maybe in abroad or India itself.

srevster

Country flag
The main difference between rote learning and schools that encourage critical thinking is the emphasis on the problem domain. Rote learning will give you an array of solutions to specified problems, critical thinking enables you to define the problem statement and then using first principles come up with a solution. This means that you use more brain power and less memory power. Indian education emphasized memory power and the ability to recall information, whereas western education emphasizes first principles which enables you to lead and not just follow. Hope this helps.

Problem space vs solution space is a concept that is alien to most schools that use the rote learning methods. This is the main idea behind the movie 3 idiots.

If you develop skills to define the problem statement, you can then use common sense / critical thinking to come up Novel solutions. E.g anti gravity pens vs pencils

Where as rote learning based methods will learn about the Russians using pencils and the Americans using anti gravity pens and will be able to replicate using anti gravity pens or pencils when asked for it. But they don’t excel with coming up with the requirements and determining whether pens / pencils should be used at all.

Concard

Country flag

Card board model is not going to impress admission committee. Something little high tech and has applications in real world would be better. Yes, there is a lot to do in drones. I would suggest you to take it slow and figure out. Getting experience before pursuing grad school would be better in my opinion. I don't really have a good idea about aerospace engineering degree. Try searching any forums and or any groups in India who is pursuing aerospace degree. My area of interest is different, so I have scant idea about anything aerospace.

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars One of Indias Largest Intergated Commercial Development at Mumbai. And @v952010 Nibba

Haldilal

लड़ते लड़ते जीना है, लड़ते लड़ते मरना है
Country flag
Ya'll Nibbiars The BAM Digital, Digital Realty + Brookfield J.V. to invest 2,500 crore rupees to set up it's 40 MW data centre at Chandivali in Mumbai, Maharashtra.

SKC

Country flag
Exams are not the tough part. Reports, projects, lab work is the hardest.

It is not like Indian Universities where you fake 90% of your reports, projects and lab files.

These top Universities requires actual data documented honestly by the students. They have some of the best Plagiarism check tools to verify your work. They can detect AI generated work quite easily.

Finishing your project, thesis will take away your sleep for 3-4 months.

No amount of buttering is going to force your professor to approve your work unless it is authentic.

Compare this to our Indian Universities, one of the batchmate made only the first 2-3 pages on his own and pasted the rest 15-20 pages from someone else's thesis in jpeg format in his thesis's soft copy.
He passed the plag check with only 3%. :rofl: o_O :laugh: :cool1:

Global Defence

New threads

Articles