Indian diplomat arrested, handcuffed in US for visa fraud

pankaj nema

Country flag
The so called exploited Indian nanny was getting the Following things FREE

1 Free rent free accomdation

2 Free Food and medical care / insurance taken care of

3 Free transport for carrying out her duties ie taking care of the children of the Indian diplomat

All this in the City of New York where the cost of living is so high

The Indian diplomat was posted in New York

There is NO way in hell that she can be described as exploited

WTF these Americans count every penny of what they pay to others
and the Term " COST to the Company " has originated in the USA :p

Daredevil

On Vacation!
Super Mod
Arun Jaitley on this issue

The Treatment meted out to Devyani Khobragade

The arrest and the treatment meted out to the Indian diplomat Devyani Khobragade deserves to be condemned. The United States unilateralism in narrowing down the scope of diplomatic immunity should not be accepted by India. Article 31 of the Vienna Convention clearly provides that a diplomatic agent shall enjoy immunity from criminal action of the receiving State. The only exceptions mentioned in the Vienna Convention are that if there is a real action regarding the private immovable property located in the receiving State, the action relating to succession in which the diplomatic agent is involved or an action relating to any professional or commercial activity exercised by the diplomatic agent. These exceptions are only in relation to civil and administrative jurisdictions. With regard to criminal action again there is no exception which the Vienna Convention has carved out. Article 41 of the Vienna Convention on Consular Relations also provides that Consular officers shall not be liable to arrest or detention pending trial, except in the case of a grave crime and pursuant to a decision by the competent judicial authority. The Convention clearly states that Consular officers shall not be committed to prison or be liable to any other form of restriction on their personal freedom unless there is a judicial verdict. It goes further to state that if criminal proceedings are instituted against a consular officer, he must appear before the competent authorities but nevertheless, the proceedings shall be conducted with the respect due to him by reason of his official position. Even though the Covenants of the Vienna Conventions are clear with regard to the extent of immunity available to a foreign diplomats and consular officials, the US State Department has displayed scant regard for the established conventions. If the arrest of the diplomat raises serious questions with regard to the infringement of Vienna Conventions, the subsequent treatment meted out to her — the search, keeping the lady diplomat in custody with hardened criminals displays the cavalier manner in which the Americans are treating this issue.

Diplomacy operates on the principle of reciprocity. In the past when an elected representative from India has been denied US visa, the Government of India have taken it lying down because of its own sense of insecurity vis-a vis the concerned elected representative. This has given to the Americans a signal that they can act unilaterally without attracting an adverse reaction from India. The case of Devyani Khobragade is a pointer to the fact that Government of India must now and in future act on the principle of reciprocity. If there is any infringement of any local law, be it even a municipal or State laws, by an American diplomat/ consular official, we must waive off the immunity under the Vienna Conventions. Similarly, if we find the conduct of any US elected representative unacceptable in our subjective opinion, we must reserve the right to reject his or her visa application.

The Treatment meted out to Devyani Khobragade

Country flag
@waffenss

USA does not do this selectively to India many diplomats have had same or worst. I have not seen Indian govt make a issue of any of this so it is not viewed as serious.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

A chauhan

"अहिंसा परमो धर्मः धर्म हिंसा तथैव च: l"
Country flag
I have read somewhere that US diplomates were given Airport pass ! Is this true ? It means they can freely comeout from the airports without checking ?

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
The whole issue has been blown out of proportion. Both sides to be blamed starting with the US. Indian reaction has been childish especially removal of security barricades. This episode comes at a time when India and US need to be working even more closely both bilaterally and for larger geopolitical goals with the impending pullout from Af.

Hope better sense prevails and the issue is resolved. Need some sane & cool minds here. Off course the anti US section in India is having a field day and will use this episode for a long time.

skumar7777

The whole issue has been blown out of proportion. Both sides to be blamed starting with the US. Indian reaction has been childish especially removal of security barricades. This episode comes at a time when India and US need to be working even more closely both bilaterally and for larger geopolitical goals with the impending pullout from Af.

Hope better sense prevails and the issue is resolved. Need some sane & cool minds here. Off course the anti US section in India is having a field day and will use this episode for a long time.
To say that the Indian reaction has been childish is to miss the point. The US did not put up security barricades outside the Indian Consulate even after the Mumbai attacks. The US is used to having privileges - it is just a message. I am sure security has been taken care of but the facade has been removed as it should be.

Would you bet that the US will not take any action on Ms Khobragade now? If it does, would you agree that the action should have been taken earlier? If it does not and takes other punitive actions, would you say that action is childish?

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag

Removing the barrier is childish, but not others.

How can two have a strong bilateral relation, when one treats other as below their stature. Or should India be like Pakis? US are not our big friend and won't be as long as they are in bed with Pakis. So, they may be treated with respect as long as they reciprocate. When they insult us, they must be shown - not simply said - and they have to acknowledge and be truly sorry.

I don't care what damn law was broken in that damned country. I know that stupid B#&ch was being paid more than enough and had gone there with full knowledge. The Diplomat could not afford the minimum wage for her maid, as that would have more than her own foreign allowances. I am no fond of Gr-A officers, but in this case she is a victim of greed of greedy b&$ch.

Further, GoI should ensure that the maid is extradited here and given full treatment of our law.

I so wish, not actually want though, that one of their diplomats to pass a few hours in one of our jails.

ladder

Country flag
What can you expect, when official USA response has been that Vienna convention does not means what has been written.

In a written reply to Biswas' lawyer Ravi Batra, US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said that Vienna Convention on Consular Relations (VCCR) simply did not mean what it said.

Read more at: US regrets arresting Krittika Biswas, insists she did not enjoy diplomatic immunity : Americas, News - India

http://defenceforumindia.com/forum/...ed-handcuffed-us-visa-fraud-2.html#post826634

nrupatunga

One thing which is remains a mystery is: who is directing all these measures??? It would be very difficult to believe that MMS or khurshid can really order these things.

ladder

Country flag
One thing which is remains a mystery is: who is directing all these measures??? It would be very difficult to believe that MMS or khurshid can really order these things.
Bureaucratic lobby is strong in India. Govt. cannot antagonist them with election so close.

nrupatunga

Bureaucratic lobby is strong in India. Govt. cannot antagonist them with election so close.
Why do they want to go after usa in such aggressive manner. Somehow its not as plain and simple as it seems. Lot of things have happened in background.

jackprince

Turning into a frog
Country flag
Why do they want to go after usa in such aggressive manner. Somehow its not as plain and simple as it seems. Lot of things have happened in background.
And why not? Because they are US??

For what it ultimately have turned into - humiliation of a lady diplomat in a barbaric and high handed manner - actually much much more aggression is required till USA accepts its mistake and apologizes; and all charges are most definitely withdrawn; and the domestic maid is handed over to Indian authority.

Anonymouse

Country flag
This is how US takes care of its diplomats

U.S. diplomat kills man in car crash, leaves Kenya

This is what happened to a gay/lesbian spouse visa of US embassy officer last month

IFS officer denies visa to spouse of gay American diplomat, moved out - Indian Express

Which led to Devyani case now...

This shadow boxing has been going on for some time. Search for Neena Malhotra, Prabhu Dayal, Krittika Biswas.

nrupatunga

Am not saying all these measure should or should not be done.

This shadow boxing has been going on for some time. Search for Neena Malhotra, Prabhu Dayal, Krittika Biswas.
Yes, its not just diplomats, but even APJ Abdul kalam and many MP's, Ministers were ill-treated. But why now suddenly?? somehow the cynic in me does not feel that this incident broke the threshold of indian patience.

EDIT: It would be interesting to read diplomatic correspondence of usa embassy today. Hopefully some snowden like guy releases them soon.

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Meanwhile in Chanakyapuri:

Hope that street is filled with 2-stroke Yamaha riders and Daly-Boyz from Noida with their loud-music SUVs.
at last, they have done the right thing, these guys have take over whole street with embassy at both sides of road.

ladder

Country flag
Once USA handcuffed and publicly humiliated Indian diplomat, GoI due to the bureaucratic lobby, didn't want to go slow or pussyfoot in this event.
This is a prime example of 'one of ours' tendency, where the IAS,IFS diaspora puts its wight behind one diplomat.

So, its not the case where our officers are acting against USA, in a aggressive manner.

To, come to what transpired all this, your guess is as good as mine.But, to suddenly arrest some diplomat in December, on a compliant filed before the month of June ( as, the complainant is absconding from the month of June) shows that all is not well behind the scenes.

Also, when there is a precedent of such case, which was settled between another Indian diplomat and his servant, in USA, without arresting him.

Why, was arrest necessary in this case?, even if so, why was she handcuffed? and publicly humiliated.
Was, she served some summons which she didn't heed, if not why arrest?

Other technical problems have been highlighted by me in first three pages of this thread.

If I were to guess, other than something that's not on public domain then, Advan-Fort and subsequent arm twisting by USA comes to mind.

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
Am not saying all these measure should or should not be done.

Yes, its not just diplomats, but even APJ Abdul kalam and many MP's, Ministers were ill-treated. But why now suddenly?? somehow the cynic in me does not feel that this incident broke the threshold of indian patience.

EDIT: It would be interesting to read diplomatic correspondence of usa embassy today. Hopefully some snowden like guy releases them soon.
I think what they did to lady diplomat is serious because they dont want same thing happen in future to other diplomats.

Lets wait and see what happens, ofcourse we can always use old fashion Delhi Police handcuff on US diplomats............:laugh:

roma

NRI in Europe
Country flag
Re: Indian diplomat strip-searched by USA male marshals - goi's respon

You are hysterical and incoherent, as well as being sexually confused. Who can take you seriously?
Your absurd avatars and your misrepresentation of your sex are an insult to every DFI member.
Keep your obsession to yourself and maybe you will be taken seriously.
Dear Members of the forum:-
the avtars i use are my choice and many people here like them
i do keep changing avtars - as a way to give the many friends i do have on this forum
a view of my life, family and friends

if any avtar crosses some line admin would l inform me
let's leave it to them
and not some self -appointed judge
who belongs to a day and age which has well passed its use-by date
as obviously seen in some of his posts

as for his innuendos about my sex an gender -
dont the members of this forum think that
those were totally inappropriate especially being some sort of a moderator

this may be besides the main point , but as he insinuated that im not taken seriously,
i´d have to reply as follows :-
i did a joint mba at two top australasian schools
and before that an engineering science degree at one of the top 3 uni's in britain
my last position before joining my family business which i am now in
was as a member of a team of defence (management) consultants
my role was in the acquisition of defence industires -
i was head-hunted and chosen to join them
and that explains my interest in defence-strategy issues

rather than what he claims about this forum being insulted,
on the contrary, i believe a lot of members here read my posts
they earn likes and i regularly get friendship requests

i therefore have good grounds to call for this person's term as a moderator on this forum to come to an end
he has already "helped" us enough and it is time to "retire"
this is about the 4th time that such personal attacks have been made
i think we need to see the end of such

Last edited:

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag
This is the area which the Delhi Police has blocked for US embassy in red color.

It is good that they have removed this.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles