Indian Counter Terror Operations Pictures & Discussions

Status
Not open for further replies.

AshutoshNSingh

MHA haad enough money to buy luxurious X95s for Cobra and even common Crpf troopers.But look at any Cobra trooper pics ,in most of them you ont find them with any BPJ,or ballistic helmet whichh is common for thheir army counterparts ie the RR guys.
Are the COBRA not wearing BPJ s and helmets deliberately or are they not provided with them?
Have seen pics of cobras in ballistic helmets, though just as all the armed forces, capfs & spfs of India they do lack adequate no. of headgear & bpj. While tactical goggles, boots and a handgun as secondary sidearm is a distant luxury.

AshutoshNSingh

MHA haad enough money to buy luxurious X95s for Cobra and even common Crpf troopers.But look at any Cobra trooper pics ,in most of them you ont find them with any BPJ,or ballistic helmet whichh is common for thheir army counterparts ie the RR guys.
Are the COBRA not wearing BPJ s and helmets deliberately or are they not provided with them?

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
It is a pity that MHA could buy x95 and beretta carbines which comes with a heavy price tag compared with the other weapons in their league but couldn't provide basic life saving equipments like BPJ,and helmets.It is tue that x95s with scopes are excellent.But what is the use of such a weapon if the force lacks proper leadership,training morale and basic equipments.Where as a modified INSAS or AKM with rails and optics could have done the same.And buying 9mm berettas for BSF which engages extensively in CT ops was another clear case of scam as 9mms are good for nothing in such scenarios.

Also why even after this much years no one had ever tried to reform CAPFs which are the first ones to engage terrorists

ladder

Country flag
It is a pity that MHA could buy x95 and beretta carbines which comes with a heavy price tag compared with the other weapons in their league but couldn't provide basic life saving equipments like BPJ,and helmets.It is tue that x95s with scopes are excellent.But what is the use of such a weapon if the force lacks proper leadership,training morale and basic equipments.Where as a modified INSAS or AKM with rails and optics could have done the same.And buying 9mm berettas for BSF which engages extensively in CT ops was another clear case of scam as 9mms are good for nothing in such scenarios.

Also why even after this much years no one had ever tried to reform CAPFs which are the first ones to engage terrorists
For the last 2/3 years CAPF's are returning maximum development funds to control fiscal deficit.

AshutoshNSingh

Berretta MX4s and that too defective! (Though replaced now by the well-functioning ones now) As I say, if our BSFmen retaliate to Pak ceasefire violations with those guns, their 9mm bullets will lose their energy by the time they reach across the border.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Capt Vivek Sonal of 10 Para Commando was returning to base at Palaly Airfield on that fateful winter evening. He was approaching Chavakacheri, about 50 km by road from Jaffna, which was a known hotspot in tiger country. He was in the lead jeep wearing his black commando bandana, with his driver at the wheel. A sharp bend appeared on the left and his driver reduced speed and slowed down. On the opposite side of the road stood a single two-storied building, which he glanced at with suspicion. As they took the bend, his driver slumped forward on the wheel, hit by a sniper's bullet in the head. He was killed instantly, Capt Sonal, being blessed with the reflexes of a Commando, instinctively put his head down.

The second sniper's bullet, which was heading straight for the centre of his forehead, entered his skull and exited from behind. The tigers had been waiting for him to extract their 'Toll Tax'. "I'm hit!" he yelled on R/T to his JCO who was following behind in a second jeep some ten yards behind him. "Takeover!" The JCO had seen what happened and did not need instructions. He had a loaded Karl Gustav RCL at the ready and fired instantaneously. The second story of the building crumbled in the explosion of a direct hit. But as his officer was down he did not pursue. He called for an immediate CAS EVAC on R/T. All this happened within thirty seconds. I was at the ATC tower to check on the night flying programme which was scheduled for that evening. The Mi-8 Dett was due for a routine night conversion training session for it's pilots.

The flare path was laid out and the aircraft was about to start up when Col Dalbir Singh CO of 10 Paras came doubling up the stairs with a request for an immediate Cas Evac. "Tweety Bird, this is Puddy Tat. Cancel Con Trg. We have a Cas Evac Mission for you. Get airborne and head for CVC. Further instructions in a minute." Sqn Ldr Jai Bir Singh the Dett Cdr was airborne and on course within a minute. Col Dalbir Singh passed on the coordinates of the ambush site on R/T. The flying time was estimated to be six minutes. He was told to climb to 300m and remain at that height till he got clearance to descend. This was a basic precaution to remain above the effective range of small arms of the LTTE. OC 10 Paras was told to select a suitable landing site next to the road. He was to position four vehicles with their headlights on at the four corners of the selected landing ground. For identification and as an aid to the pilot they were to flash their headlights on hearing the chopper overhead. Once they confirmed the helipad was secure the JCO was to fire a "Green" very cartridge for positive identification and clearance.

This would be the signal for the chopper to descend. It was already about thirty minutes after sunset and the evening haze was setting in. Other lights in the surrounding area were a distraction. There was also a chance the Tigers would try and lure the chopper elsewhere. Their ingenuity could never be underestimated. The whole operation was touch-and-go. "Puddy Tat this is Tweety Bird. I am over the LZ and I can see a "Green" Request permission to descend." "Tweety Bird you are clear to descend. Report when causality is on board. Keep clear of all buildings in that area when you approach the LZ." In the next few minutes the helicopter had picked up the wounded officer and the body of the dead jawan and was on the way back to base. It was instructed to land directly at the hospital helipad. This was a Sri Lankan Army Hospital manned by Indian Army AMC Officers. The Surgeon examined the casuality and confirmed that the bullet had penetrated his skull but had exited from the rear without damaging his spinal cord. The injury was serious and internal bleeding had set in. No neurosurgeon was available at the hospital and if the officer's life was to be saved he had to be evacuated to Madras without any further delay. This situation put me on the horns of a dilemma. Although night flying was permitted on the island by IPKF helicopters, there was a strict embargo on crossing the Palk Straits to get to the Mainland. All fixed wing aircraft returned to Tambaram at night and were not parked overnight at Palaly for security reasons.
Toll tax in Tiger country

A special request had to be made to the AOC at OFC HQ at Madras. I got through to Gp Capt Chandrasekar who was my friend, philosopher and guide and appraised him of my situation. I also told him that if I did not get a response within half an hour, I had ordered the fitting of auxiliary fuel tanks on a Mi-8 just in case. I could not afford to be rule bound and had enough justification to bend the rules, if I had to. The Izzat of the Air Force was at stake. He assured me that he would convince the powers that be. Fortunately within thirty minutes the R/T at the ATC crackled to life. An AN 32 was on it's way. "Puddy Tat from Blue Angel. Airborne for you. Estimating your field at 1950 request landing instructions." "Blue Angel.

Am I glad to hear you? Clear Direct Approach 05. Winds Calm. Vis 03nm." An AN 32 of 19 Sqn Dett at Tambaram was winging it's way. The Capt was instructed to park in the apron in front of the ATC and not to switch off. The causality was positioned at that point to avoid any delay. Everything went like clockwork and the fully conscious officer on a stretcher was put on board with two attendants. His final words to his CO still ring in my ears— "Sir, when I get back, promise me you will give me another chance to get them!" Commandos may be down but they can never be out! That evening Capt Sonal was successfully operated and in the next three days he was declared out of danger. He was ambushed at 1700h some 50 km from the airbase.

He was on the operating table in Chennai by 2200 hrs. Not too bad for a day's work. Maybe we should be in the Guinness Book of Records. Postscript. Capt Sonal did not get that second chance. He was discharged from the Army on medical grounds. He lives in Pune and writes books on Counter Insurgency.

— The author Gp Capt Anil (Tootsie) Ghosh was mentioned in dispatches for his valour and valiant contribution during the 1971 war

sayareakd

Mod
Country flag

They're for camouflage. The hat—called a mitznefet in Hebrew—attaches to a regular combat helmet and obscures its rigid, round shape. As the mitznefet flops about, it takes on an irregular form that's harder to recognize in a shadow or out of the corner of your eye. The hat also protects against the sun and the moon, which might reflect off the surface of the helmet. A standard mitznefet consists of reversible mesh fabric, with a greenish woodland camouflage print on one side and a brown desert print on the other.

Why are the Israeli soldiers wearing chef's hats?

we should better modify this, so that for Urban and anti terror operations our soldiers cannot be identified easily by terrorists, like what is being done by Israelis.

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

In a joint operation by 46 RR and State Police a hideout was busted in general area Baramula, J&K. A large cache of arms and ammunition to include Sniper - 01, RPG rds - 06, RPG boosters - 06 (1 ft green tubes) & Disposable RL - 02 were recovered.
(Source: ADGPI-Indian Army)

cobra commando

Tharki regiment
Country flag

In two different operations at LC and hinterland, Army intercepted and recovered huge quantity of weapons and ammunition, thereby preventing their falling into the hands of terrorist. In the first operation launched by alert troops deployed along the line of control, a huge haul of weapons including 18 AK-47 rifles and 5 pistols were intercepted, thereby preventing them from falling in the hands of terrorists operating in Kashmir. In the second operation jointly by Army and SOG, based on specific input, at Hajibal forest area Baramulla in the early hours of 23 Nov 14 in Bosian Forest. Extensive search led to the discovery of a well entrenched hideout from which large quantity of weapons, ammunition and other war like stores to include which 01 Sniper rifle, 02 Pistol, 02 UBGL, 23 UBGL, 23 UBGL Grenade, 18 Hand Grenade, 06 RPG, 02 Disposable RL, 04 Radio set, 02 Mor bombs. The hideout seems to have been used by transient terrorists as a safe hiding place and the destruction of same will further enhance the safe environs on fringe areas of Baramulla town and is a major setback to terrorist operating around Baramulla. The total quantity of weapons and ammunition recovered in the two operations was 18 AK 47 rifles, 01 Sniper rifle, 07 Pistol, 02 UBGL, 23 UBGL, 23 UBGL Grenade, 18 Hand Grenade, 06 RPG, 02 Disposable RL, 04 Radio set, 02 Mortor bombs.

(Source: ADGPI - Indian Army)

ghost

Encounter in Arnia,Pindi Khattar village Jammu.

1 BMP are being used,encounter is still going on.I spotted 3 BMP maybe more were deployed.

2 Para SF are being used,they were brought in by dhruv helicopter.I once again spotted FAST helmet being used by para sf.

3 Terrorist were in Indian army uniform .

4 They have occupied old Indian army bunkers ,which were left unmanned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles