Indian Ballistic Missile Defense System

ladder

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas

Seeing the PDV, can we conclude that the development of Prithvi-3 which is all solid fueled canister-ised missile with 1ton payload and 400-500 km range. Which will be in the league of Iskander-M and ATACMS is also nearly complete?

Last edited by a moderator:

Eastman

Country flag
This one seems like two stage missile and maybe the lower stage is liquid (as per my observation of the exhaust fume, though I may be completely wrong) or maybe solid but one thing is the exhaust donot seems like a 2 engine exhaust like the Prithvi's.

ladder

Country flag
This one seems like two stage missile and maybe the lower stage is liquid (as per my observation of the exhaust fume, though I may be completely wrong) or maybe solid but one thing is the exhaust donot seems like a 2 engine exhaust like the Prithvi's.
In 2009, reports emerged of a new missile named the PDV. The DRDO is developing a new Prithvi interceptor missile codenamed PDV. It will be a two-stage missile and both the stages will be powered by solid propellants.
Indian Ballistic Missile Defence Programme - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

================

Dhanush and PAD are two stage with one solid other liquid.

Sea Eagle

@Kunal Biswas

Seeing the PDV, can we conclude that the development of Prithvi-3 which is all solid fueled canister-ised missile with 1ton payload and 400-500 km range. Which will be in the league of Iskander-M and ATACMS is also nearly complete?
Prahaar is good for comparison

ladder

Country flag
Prahaar is good for comparison

Range?

Warhead?

Compare both

Prahar/Pragati 130/180 km with 200-300 kg warhead.

Prithivi 3 350/500 km with 1000 kg warhead.

Both comparable?

================

Prahar/ Pragati will replace Prithvi SS-150 only.

Where as Prithvi 3 was to replace Prithvi SS-250.

The only question I have is that whether they are sticking to the plan after success of Shaurya missile.

Last edited:

Country flag
You can see the difference- here clearly- WRT rocket exhaust-

PAD-

PDV-

Country flag
@Kunal Biswas

Why go for another Short range Ballistic missile- when already have Brahmos, and Shaurya- with Nirbhay and LACM(Supersonic) under development-

Sea Eagle

You can see the difference- here clearly- WRT rocket exhaust-

PAD-

PDV-

Why did they removed the fins from the middle of the body and place them on the tails ?
Any specific advantages ?

Eastman

Country flag
Last edited:

Eastman

Country flag
@Guest err yeah the first stage seems like a solid one.

ladder

Country flag
Why go for another Short range Ballistic missile- when already have Brahmos, and Shaurya- with Nirbhay and LACM(Supersonic) under development-
What is the envelope of Shaurya? Especially minimum range?

All others are cruise missile. So, not comparable with BM.

Country flag
Why did they removed the fins from the middle of the body and place them on the tails ?
Any specific advantages ?
Higher Speed-(less drag)
True Interceptor Design-(Prithvi is a Surface to Surface missile)
Canisterization-(Fins obstruct putting missile in sizable canister)
Higher altitude-(Air is thin at extreme altitude hence large control surface not required)

And others- which other members can point out-

Last edited:

ladder

Country flag
Dhanush is not solid fueled, you can cleary see the dual liquild engine exhaust fume while the missile leaves the platform-(the Dhanush Platform)
PAD got a solid stage in the elongated warhead section for end game maneuver
Older Dhanush is two stage ( single?) liquid but a newer version is Solid+ liquid.

Dhanush
The sea-based Dhanush which has been tested several times in recent years is a short-range, sea-based, liquid propellant ballistic missile—known as the naval version of Prithvi II. According to reports, the possibility of a two stage version, the first being solid fueled and the second liquid-fueled is expected—thus providing the missile with a maximum range of approximately 350 kms. It was reported in March 2011 that the nuclear-capable Dhanush was successfully test-fired from a naval warship.
http://www.claws.in/administrator/uploaded_files/1316063650IB 26.pdf

Eastman

Country flag
Older Dhanush is two stage ( single?) liquid but a newer version is Solid+ liquid.

http://www.claws.in/administrator/uploaded_files/1316063650IB 26.pdf

India's Prithvi missile

This site which regularly follows and updates about Rockets and Missiles of some nations.
I haven't seen a Dhanush with a solid propellant exhaust. While from the Drawing above on Prithvi missiles shows that their will be no space for solid fuel grains store in the prithvi missile unless highly modified and abstained from media release, the cylinderical section of the missile body holds the two liquid fuel tanks that the missile uses. no space for solid fuel propellant in the current version.

ladder

Country flag
Shaurya (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

For tactical operations cruise missiles are the 1st choice- use of Ballistic Missiles can create confusion and trigger a nuclear exchange-
I never said Shaurya is a cruise missile. Or air breathing missile.

Point out the minimum range of Shaurya?

===========================

Also, Prithvi in service with Army and Air force are not allotted nuclear role. Only missile with SFC have that role.

And are you insisting both Army and Air force were holding Prithvis to never use them if needed as it may trigger nuclear exchange?

Also, cruise missile have the capability to carry nuclear war-head , will that not create confusion?

ladder

Country flag
India's Prithvi missile

This site which regularly follows and updates about Rockets and Missiles of some nations.
I haven't seen a Dhanush with a solid propellant exhaust. While from the Drawing above on Prithvi missiles shows that their will be no space for solid fuel grains store in the prithvi missile unless highly modified and abstained from media release, the cylinderical section of the missile body holds the two liquid fuel tanks that the missile uses. no space for solid fuel propellant in the current version.

I haven't seen a Dhanush with a solid propellant exhaust.
Yes. You haven't. I too.

Have you seen PAD with solid propellant exhaust fumes?

No, you haven't. Sill you posted the photo and confirmation from the site you mentioned.

Why?

The first stage is a liquid fuelled motor while the second stage is solid fuelled
From the same link you provided. It's mentioned for PAD but even true for Dhanush ( new)

Unless you have photos of Second stage exhaust fumes, you can't see it.

I never said old Dhanush and new have similar dimensions, Did I?

Blame it on DRDO scientists and not me. Who have changed the convention from Solid+ liquid to liquid+solid.

=================

Country flag
I never said Shaurya is a cruise missile. Or air breathing missile.

Point out the minimum range of Shaurya?
Only If you learnt to read-

Operational
range
700 km[2][5] @ 1000 kg and 1900 km @ 180 kg
Shaurya (missile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, Prithvi in service with Army and Air force are not allotted nuclear role. Only missile with SFC have that role.

And are you insisting both Army and Air force were holding Prithvis to never use them if needed as it may trigger nuclear exchange?

Also, cruise missile have the capability to carry nuclear war-head , will that not create confusion?
Where did I Insist ?- Prithvi does have a specific role of Nuclear delivery- under both Army and Air Force- perhaps Navy too- But I am not sure about that-

Conventional Prithvis have been modified with improved trajectory- which is not pure ballistic-

Even an artillery shell has the capability to carry nuclear explosive- however certain yard sticks and benchmarks are applied by various militaries world wide- other than that cruise missile are not easily detectable hence the reaction time is low-

Eastman

Country flag
Yes. You haven't. I too.

Have you seen PAD with solid propellant exhaust fumes?

No, you haven't. Sill you posted the photo and confirmation from the site you mentioned.

Why?

From the same link you provided. It's mentioned for PAD but even true for Dhanush ( new)

Unless you have photos of Second stage exhaust fumes, you can't see it.

I never said old Dhanush and new have similar dimensions, Did I?

Blame it on DRDO scientists and not me. Who have changed the convention from Solid+ liquid to liquid+solid.

=================

awwww.....PAD got a solid stage in the elongated warhead section for end game maneuver

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles