Indian Army T- 90 (Bhishma) and T- 72 (M-1) Tanks

Akula

Country flag
As per Trishul guy, IA is not planning any APS for T-90 and T-72 upgrade.

Then why is there a Make project from Army design bureau for 3000 APS systems?
He says it's only for Arjun. Than rest of our tanks will remain unprotected.

Blademaster

I hope the IA gets a wake up call from the Russian Ukrainian conflict as to the performance of the T-90s. As much as I respect the Russians, I can't fathom the reason for sticking with T-90s as opposed to taking on and supporting the Arjun tank program. We need to induct 1000s of Arjun ASAP for the next decade.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
There is absolutely no need for 2 category of medium tanks.

The T-72 like must be relaced 1:1 by Arjun and its future versions. The T-72 hulls can be re-purposed for robotic tanks, Terminator type AFVs, and carriers for MBRLS, SAM's, BLTs etc.

T-90S needs to be modernized and progressively replaced by FMBT over the next decade.

AUSTERLITZ

Country flag
I hope the IA gets a wake up call from the Russian Ukrainian conflict as to the performance of the T-90s. As much as I respect the Russians, I can't fathom the reason for sticking with T-90s as opposed to taking on and supporting the Arjun tank program. We need to induct 1000s of Arjun ASAP for the next decade.
t-90 has done relatively well in ukraine only around 3 confirmed have been destroyed,a few abandoned due to lack of fuel.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
There is absolutely no need for 2 category of medium tanks.

The T-72 like must be relaced 1:1 by Arjun and its future versions. The T-72 hulls can be re-purposed for robotic tanks, Terminator type AFVs, and carriers for MBRLS, SAM's, BLTs etc.

T-90S needs to be modernized and progressively replaced by FMBT over the next decade.
Or simply upgrade T-90s and T-72s we have for next 10 years. That will be around 3.5k+ tanks

And then focus on FMBT.

NotASussyBoi

Country flag
imao we need fmbt than arjun,arjun mk2 might be good for a stopgap but not for a holistic replacement

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
IA wants tanks in all spectrum: Light, medium and heavy.

Among them, medium tanks was to be in maximum numbers. But these requirements were firmed up considering only Pakistani armour formation which consists of few T-80s and Al-khalids/VT-4s and maximum number of old Type 59 junks.

However, the security situation have changed. The appearance of Type 15s in Tibet, backed by Type 99 might change our threat levels. While we have placed T-90s and T-72s to counter them, but they are at a disadvantage. The Type 15 is highly agile in mountaneous terrain (thanks to its 35 ton weight and 1000 hp engine). It also has higher angle of gun elevation.

The firepower superiority of T-72 (42 ton)/t-90S (46 ton) over Type 15 is nullified by their Type 96s firing similar 125 mm gun, while the protection superiority is overwhelmed by Type 99 (57 ton+).

Thus the need of Light tanks (30-35 ton) class, backed a 60 ton+ MBT (for which Arjun variants might be a suitable choice.

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
Arjun ordered till now is only 242 no.. No firm commitments on any future Arjun MK2 order from the Army.

IMHO, we should abandon the 120 mm gun altogether, and settle on 125 mm gun. Based on this, we can have a modular/scalable 2 man crew turret, with bustle mounted autoloader. The heavier version of this turret can be mounted on Arjun mk2 hull which will bring down its weight to around 60 tonns. It can also be an upgrade option for Arjun mk1 and MK1A in the future. The medium version of this turret can be mounted on T-72s/T-90s as upgrade option. The lighter version of this turret can be mounted on our DRDO light tank.

It doesn't make any sense that IA wants 125 mm gun for T series tanks and FRCV/GNMBT, 120 mm gun for piecemeal Arjun orders, and 105 mm gun for light tanks. Huge logistical nightmare. Instead that 125 mm smoothbore gun (using some of the ATAGS components) which was to be developed by DRDO should be standardized across the board.

Last edited:

shuvo@y2k10

Country flag
to think of it,if a good manufacturer did some minor revisions on the mk2 i see a good tank for us
If properly modified over the base Arjun MK1/MK1A design, the Arjun mk2 can become our own equivalent of Lepard 2A7.
In terms of electronics, and new power plant (Bharat Power pack), the Arjun mk2 can become quite competitive in global scale.

Flying Dagger

Country flag
FMBT is realisable not a vapour ware if we can start production in next 10 years that's good enough.

T-90 and T-72 are in ample number and need to be heavily upgraded.

There is no point in Arjun now ... It does have potential but time is running out. We need to use what we have learnt from it to upgrade the T-90s.

Rest we need to allocate for airforce first and artillery .

Flying Dagger

Country flag
looks like t 72 with some era upgrades to my eyes and of course yellow colour
That's what Tank Ex was T-72 with Arjun Turret Kanchan armour etc. Pity we didn't went for it.

1000 Arjun in 55 Ton category and 1000 of these in 45 -50 Ton category with upgrade of rest T-72s , no need of T-90 , a stable supply chain . Infact we should have gone for same engine as Arjun.

But then... Again same story as always.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles