Indian Army SIG Sauer 716 assault rifle.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Rifles are not nazuk. They require discipline to maintain. Discipline is the key word here.
Don't say that then everyone would jump over you to question the marksmanship skills of your average infantryman

Johny_Baba

अज्ञानी
Country flag
Sorry i am not much into pistols that why i had missed that news. Anyway as a general consensus Sigs make world class weapons. The very same Sigs were in use with Seals right(older gen)?
SIG Sauer do make good weapons, but i'd like to remind how they were involved in shoddy deals here, trying to bribe us for selling their guns for various small arms tender during era of the previous govt,

New York: New documents being examined by the FBI and the CBI suggest that between June and December 2011 US arms manufacturer Sig Sauer allegedly agreed to pay a 10% commission via a web of shell companies to controversial arms dealer Abhishek Verma, who is currently in jail along with his wife Anca Neacsu.

Commissions to middlemen and agents for defence contracts are illegal in India.

Documents being scrutinized by the CBI and accessed by NDTV suggest two illicit payments were made in 2011. $50,000 was allegedly paid as a bribe to a government official via Mr Verma's shell companies to have an anonymous complaint against Sig Sauer removed from government records to make the company eligible for a tender for army sniper rifles. CBI officials claim $125,000 was paid separately to Mr Verma and his associates for helping Sig Sauer land on the shortlist for a tender to supply rifles for state police forces via the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA).
The CBI says its investigations are based on documents, messages on Blackberry Messenger (BBM) and emails between Ms Neacsu and Sig Sauer's top executives.

Sig Sauer did not respond to NDTV's repeated attempts to reach them for comment.

Mr Verma and his wife allegedly managed to have parts of the Home Ministry shot on hidden camera; the videos were submitted over the internet on June 24, 2011 to the arms manufacturer as proof of its access to government officials .

In 2011, Sig Sauer formed a new company with Ms Neacsu called Sig Sauer Asia LLC. Though she was allegedly providing software services to Sig, the joint venture, according to CBI, was a front for commissions and kickbacks that were allegedly paid from the US manufacturer for deals with the Defence and Home Ministries.

What Sig Sauer allegedly wanted was a chunk of the 38,000-crore modernization budget created by the Home Ministry for procurement of different weapons for different police and para military forces.

Sig Sauer also wanted to bag a contract for over $1 bn or Rs. 5,500 crore from the Indian Army which wants to replace all its INSAS assault rifles. Sig and four other companies are under consideration for the deal.

:: Bharat-Rakshak.com - Indian Military News Headlines ::
all i was trying to say is, we shouldn't overlook lobbying-bribing-corruption etc angles apart from usual technical things, 'specially when they have a record like this here,

also i understand-believe in this thing that the previous govt was more leaning towrads the Russia in their defense procurements-dealings so if anything this conduct could also be considered ;politically motivated; - likewise we all know how the current govt is more leaning towards the west, 'specially US for defense procurements-dealings etc, so yeah perhaps they gave a free hand to SIG Sauer again ?

everybody here criticises AK-203 deal being a politically motivated thing, a ;monkey balance; thing to please russians, but hardly anybody think perhaps SIG Sauer getting this contract in 7.62 NATO category could also be a similar thing ? i mean, The way SIG Sauer's "brand new" AR-10 derivative just won that small arms tender here, smashing other contenders like Tavor-7, Galil ACE, SIG750 something, is so so dubious thing for me (do note this SIG750 = SIG550 in 7.62 NATO was from SWISS ARMS branch of swiss-german SIG, not american SIG SAUER one - but then again every different SIG branches are owned by the german L&O holdings so yeah) and what not - that too with their vanilla AR-10 (that means a bare basic gun in my lingo)

But they won US Army's pistol and next gen rifle-machine gun tenders
> again i'm not doubtful of their engineering prowess, but their business conduct, and in the US 'lobbying' is a legal activity - part of marketing tactics whatever, so yeah, doubtful again.

Last edited:

Vayuputra

Country flag
Rifles are not nazuk. They require discipline to maintain. Discipline is the key word here.
Ak 47 is like village girlfriend, rough and tough, doesn't complains nor betrays you even if you don't spend a single rupee on her but on other hand ar platform rifles are like city girl friend, no matter how much you take care of her, pay all her expenses, still she complains.

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
Ak 47 is like village girlfriend, rough and tough, doesn't complains nor betrays you even if you don't spend a single rupee on her but on other hand ar platform rifles are like city girl friend, no matter how much you take care of her, pay all her expenses, still she complains.
The AKs are generally reliable, but this much exaggeration is also too much.

India Super Power

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Rifles from SSS Defense should also be procured. This will give them good start.
Do you think bro that our babus will allow them to sell
See the amount of problems being caused to atags which has proved its worth but still
Sss rifles are new no testing until know
According to me they are just wasting time by making rifles and offering to our forces
Our men will prefer to die without guns but won't use indigenous guns

Aditya Ballal

Country flag
The AKs are generally reliable, but this much exaggeration is also too much.
For those AK fanboys we have in DFI, this video is for y’all, watch how the venerable AK struggles in the mud relatively compared to the other firearms. Each and every firearm has its weak and strong points, no weapon is perfect. Stop being irrational and being a blind fanboy.

And for the ones who are whining about AR platforms across DFI, here’s the words of Major Avinash Sir (11 Para SF, retd.) on DFI regarding the M4.
984C693F-785F-41FD-8B4F-427781CDF9CA.jpeg

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Answer using your own example

You can find even a village girlfriend having fun in khet with someone else and a city girlfriend too can be by your side for her whole life.

Hope you understand

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
See the amount of problems being caused to atags which has proved its worth but still
According to me they are just wasting time by making rifles and offering to our forces
Sad but true.

Marliii

Better to die on your feet than live on your knees
Country flag
People all ways blame MOD but also conveniently forgets the biggest setback in indian indigenous weapons history caused by OFB when we adopted a pure indigenous indian rifle and got a setback we haven't recovered yet

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
SIG Sauer do make good weapons, but i'd like to remind how they were involved in shoddy deals here, trying to bribe us for selling their guns for various small arms tender during era of the previous govt,

all i was trying to say is, we shouldn't overlook lobbying-bribing-corruption etc angles apart from usual technical things, 'specially when they have a record like this here,

also i understand-believe in this thing that the previous govt was more leaning towrads the Russia in their defense procurements-dealings so if anything this conduct could also be considered ;politically motivated; - likewise we all know how the current govt is more leaning towards the west, 'specially US for defense procurements-dealings etc, so yeah perhaps they gave a free hand to SIG Sauer again ?

everybody here criticises AK-203 deal being a politically motivated thing, a ;monkey balance; thing to please russians, but hardly anybody think perhaps SIG Sauer getting this contract in 7.62 NATO category could also be a similar thing ? i mean, The way SIG Sauer's "brand new" AR-10 derivative just won that small arms tender here, smashing other contenders like Tavor-7, Galil ACE, SIG750 something, is so so dubious thing for me (do note this SIG750 = SIG550 in 7.62 NATO was from SWISS ARMS branch of swiss-german SIG, not american SIG SAUER one - but then again every different SIG branches are owned by the german L&O holdings so yeah) and what not - that too with their vanilla AR-10 (that means a bare basic gun in my lingo)

But they won US Army's pistol and next gen rifle-machine gun tenders
> again i'm not doubtful of their engineering prowess, but their business conduct, and in the US 'lobbying' is a legal activity - part of marketing tactics whatever, so yeah, doubtful again.
How good are long stroke rifles like Galil Ace compared with short stroke or DI weapons like AR-10 ones in 7.62 x51 in terms of accuracy and reliability?

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Watch thy words carefully !!!, o Mangal for we never doubt the skills of indian soldiers.

vampyrbladez

Country flag
The controversy in the nutshell.

1. Either Wire doing its usual whore job for some competitor.
2. MOD does not want to buy the weapon due to cost, so they cooking up the story. ( This is not a good way to shun the company).
3. OFB ammo is shit .
4. Gun is shit.
5. Chandigarh Lobby may find some good commission from some competitors so they try to buy them by cooking story to MOD.
6. Complete cluelessness from Army procurement.
Most likely it is 2. Approximately 30,000 II Sights (TONBO EK Gen 2) cost us 1400 crore while the deal for 72,400 guns was for 700 crore. The follow on would have some cost increase and to buy 100,000 more scopes (30,000 Batch I + 70,000 Batch II) to go with the rifles would cost us approx 5380 crores (700 + 3.2 x 1400) at the very least.

Pretty easy to figure this one out.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
How good are long stroke rifles like Galil Ace compared with short stroke or DI weapons like AR-10 ones in 7.62 x51 in terms of accuracy and reliability?
In terms of reliability; from best to worst
1. Long stroke
2. Short stroke
3. DI

In terms of accuracy; from best to worst
1. DI
2. Short stroke/Long stroke

But the differences here are very low from a military point of view. Even a DI AR is sufficiently reliable and a long stroke AK is also adequately accurate.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
People all ways blame MOD but also conveniently forgets the biggest setback in indian indigenous weapons history caused by OFB when we adopted a pure indigenous indian rifle and got a setback we haven't recovered yet
Till OFB was broken, only OFB was legally authorized to manufacture for and sell weapons to Indian armed forces.
Still the situation on above clause is not clear.

Lonewarrior

Country flag
Till OFB was broken, only OFB was legally authorized to manufacture for and sell weapons to Indian armed forces.
Still the situation on above clause is not clear.
It's been a long time since private firms have been allowed to manufacture weapons in India.

You won't believe who all are having license to make gun. For starters; Mahindra has license for carbines. Some very puny metal working firms, no one had ever heard of have license for assault rifle.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
It's been a long time since private firms have been allowed to manufacture weapons in India.

You won't believe who all are having license to make gun. For starters; Mahindra has license for carbines. Some very puny metal working firms, no one had ever heard of have license for assault rifle.
If you read my post I said manufacture and sell to armed forces in India.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles