Indian Army: News and Discussion

MikeTheInfantryman

Country flag
The US military gives significant operational independence to the NCO unlike the IA. Many recruits, marines and others are relieved from the armed forces due to lack of effort, motivation, failure to learn and improve skills. I have seen significant number of young people getting rejected from the US army, marines, AF and coast guard due to variety of reasons beyond physical health. My staff member's son became an army ranger on his 3rd try due to sheer determination. He volunteered to be gunner during OP Desert Storm. His copter was impaired during one operation. The machine fell from a significant height. Luckily all survived. He single handedly killed over 20 Iraqi soldiers. This earned him a medal, a promotion and a desk job under a colonel.
I'd say, most of our junior officers take on the mantle that the NCOs do in the US military. Honestly, most grunts respect officers who have been through the shit. One of the best things that we've adopted from the British is how our army is more officer oriented. Although our officer corps right now needs a better training, it's still not as bad as the officer corps in the US. The politics that goes in there is insane.

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
One thing I've found odd regarding India's troubles with revenue vs capital expenditures due to our high number of personnel. The active Indian Armed Forces are a smaller proportion of our population than for many countries with professional militaries.

Proportionately, countries like France, Italy and the UK have 3 times more active personnel per 1000 population than we do. If we were recruiting at their rate from our population, we would have 4 million active personnel. And those countries also spend around 2% or less of their GDP on defence.

So why don't these countries face a massive problem with pensions and salaries hampering their weapons purchases, but we've been having huge issues?

rkhanna

Country flag
So why don't these countries face a massive problem with pensions and salaries hampering their weapons purchases, but we've been having huge issues?
Because those countries spend fuckall on their Vets? Doesnt France like also have a commission system?

That is the point of Agniveer I guess

ezsasa

Designated Cynic
Mod
Country flag
One thing I've found odd regarding India's troubles with revenue vs capital expenditures due to our high number of personnel. The active Indian Armed Forces are a smaller proportion of our population than for many countries with professional militaries.

Proportionately, countries like France, Italy and the UK have 3 times more active personnel per 1000 population than we do. If we were recruiting at their rate from our population, we would have 4 million active personnel. And those countries also spend around 2% or less of their GDP on defence.

don't know much about italy, but in the case of UK.

militaries are not recruited on the basis of population ratios, they are done on the basis of threat perception, and our doctrine is in anticipation of a two front war.

UK has about 1.5 lakh active military personnel, their equipment will be in proportion to their personnel.

UK defence procurement is not doing well either, they too are suffering from peace time inertia.

Reactions: SKC

nongaddarliberal

Country flag
I was looking more for a mathematical answer, and I seem to have an idea now. The average salaries, and if applicable pensions, of those countries soldiers is close to their average per capita incomes. Their soldiers earn 40-60k a year.

India on the other hand pays 3-5 times our per capita income, because we can't pay just 2500 dollars a year even considering Indian costs of living. Hence proportionately we can't hire as many as them.

shaileshmd

Country flag
A professor teaching history to my wife's masters class narrated:
The US is the only country that comes out of a war smelling roses and has more money. Another one quoted, realistically the US armed forces leave a lot more wreckage behind after a war( Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya, Vietnam ,Korean war and maybe some more).

Blood+

Country flag
I'd say, most of our junior officers take on the mantle that the NCOs do in the US military. Honestly, most grunts respect officers who have been through the shit. One of the best things that we've adopted from the British is how our army is more officer oriented. Although our officer corps right now needs a better training, it's still not as bad as the office⁸r corps in the US. The politics that goes in there is insane.
Aren't smaller formations upto platoon level lead by JCOs in the IA??

Last edited:

rkhanna

Country flag
Aren't smaller formations upto platoon level lead by JCOs in the IA??

Platoon usually a LT or sometimes even a Captain. if the Battalion is short of officers then JCO (Subedar)
Platoon is made up of Sections which would be lead by a Havaldar

Blood+

Country flag
Platoon usually a LT or sometimes even a Captain. if the Battalion is short of officers then JCO (Subedar)
Platoon is made up of Sections which would be lead by a Havaldar
I see. Personally, if I were a grunt, I'd much rather have a Subedar at the helm than a clueless Lt.

MikeTheInfantryman

Country flag
Honestly the culture of the NDA/IMA is also the tell fresh LTs (early 2nd Lts) to listen to their JCOs and learn. But ultimately command falls with them.
Also, JCOs and NCOs are instructors in the academies, so most officers are already prepped by them to listen to their men and learn.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles