Indian Army: News and Discussion

rkhanna

Country flag
Our Ultra Farting GenRols are depleting our Forex Rerserves by Phoren Maal as emergency purchase..

1) we have ~$600bn of Forex Reserves. 23K Crore is ~3bn? dollars?
2) Most of what we are buying - we have no equivalent (matured tech) in India. Will still take sometime to get production volumes to steady state let alone testing and refining. We need this kit yesterday - the wolf is at the door (china)

My advise - Dont just have an idea/paradigm just for a sake of it.

prateikf

Country flag

Blademaster

I think (could be wrong) but agniveers are treated as any contractor for the Army. No benefits. Whether that extends to burial formalities or not don't know.
no they are not. Check the news reports again. He committed suicide. Why would you honor someone who committed suicide? That has been the policy of many armies all over the world.

DumbPilot

Country flag
no they are not. Check the news reports again. He committed suicide. Why would you honor someone who committed suicide? That has been the policy of many armies all over the world.
Well the official army statement mentions accidental discharge as compared to suicide.

mist_consecutive

Golgappe Expert
Contributor
Country flag
I think (could be wrong) but agniveers are treated as any contractor for the Army. No benefits. Whether that extends to burial formalities or not don't know.
That is absolutely not correct. They get every benefit except pension.

well fair enough I guess. just sounds weird someone would suicide after being deployed
Is there an ideal time for suicide? We don't know the exact circumstances, better not to speculate.

rkhanna

Country flag
Apologies but that was a horribly framed question.

My views only:

While we in India we believe that Macho Man / Family Man of Indian Army sufferes no PTSD - mental health issues are rampant through the forces. If death was in Uniform the Military SHOULD treat is a work related death. Irrespective of combat / accident/ suicide.

Lastly AFAIK a number of militries give military burials to soldiers AND Vets even if suicide. The Americans are one of them.

justaguy

Country flag
Can anyone tell me why Agniveer was brought? Was it due to shortage of money?

prateikf

Country flag
To arrest the growing monster of the pension issue. The pension issue would bankrupt the nation.
how can it be said that pension for soldiers would have bankrupted the nation ? Has any study been done to confirm this ? Isn’t out GDP too growing and hence sufficient to pay for the pensions ? If we have enough money to pay for all IAS, IFS, IPS, CRPF, Police, MP, MLA’s, Ministers, Governor’s, PM, President, judges and countless others govt officials their high pensions and benefits how come only for soldiers who have sacrificed the highest we don’t have any money ??? Something is wrong and fishy.

Blademaster

how can it be said that pension for soldiers would have bankrupted the nation ? Has any study been done to confirm this ? Isn’t out GDP too growing and hence sufficient to pay for the pensions ? If we have enough money to pay for all IAS, IFS, IPS, CRPF, Police, MP, MLA’s, Ministers, Governor’s, PM, President, judges and countless others govt officials their high pensions and benefits how come only for soldiers who have sacrificed the highest we don’t have any money ??? Something is wrong and fishy.
It is a start. We also need to do the same with the civilian branch too.

justaguy

Country flag
To arrest the growing monster of the pension issue. The pension issue would bankrupt the nation.
I don't think such a move is good. Defence is the only place where merit list actually means merit list. A place where so called upper caste people are not treated like rejected maal. How about getting rid of pension of politicians first? And what about the Muslim/Xtan appeasement which the Gov does? Uss samay paisa nhi jata?

Global Defence

New threads

Articles