Indian Army: News and Discussion

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag

Interesting take. Col. Rajeev Bharwan mentions that grenades are useless because they never go off, only like 1-2 times if thrown 10 times.

Now, nobody anywhere else in any other army, I have heard saying grenades are useless. The only conclusion I can derive is that OFB-manufactured grenades are so bad and faulty, that they are defective ~90% of the time.
Thank god a private company is now making the Shivalik grenades.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
The nerve. We still dont have a CDS. 9 MONTHS since the death of the good General.

This bullshit tokenism will get us zilch
I agree, but CDS decision is stuck at CCS level. In fact Army naming things after General Rawat might also be a way for the Army to publicly state that the Army also considers its high time a CDS was appointed to complete the work that began under General Rawat. Must be the idea of whoever is GOC-in-C Eastern Command.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
I agree, but CDS decision is stuck at CCS level. In fact Army naming things after General Rawat might also be a way for the Army to publicly state that the Army also considers its high time a CDS was appointed to complete the work that began under General Rawat. Must be the idea of whoever is GOC-in-C Eastern Command.
LIEUTENANT GENERAL RANA PRATAP KALITA . Is the current GOC-in-C Eastern Command .

flanker99

Country flag
The nerve. We still dont have a CDS. 9 MONTHS since the death of the good General.

This bullshit tokenism will get us zilch
Someone in twitter had rightly pointed out that govt created the cds post in 19 not for jointness sake but to give gen bipin rawat an extension..we are unlikely to see new cds anytime soon

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
This Indian Army not Pakistani Army that they would take such decision without prior approval from civilian government.
Army must have received green light from Raisina Hill.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Someone in twitter had rightly pointed out that govt created the cds post in 19 not for jointness sake but to give gen bipin rawat an extension..we are unlikely to see new cds anytime soon
I don't believe that. CDS was recommended in multiple committees before. GoI not getting a new CDS points to them not being as confident of current top brass as they were in General Rawat or maybe they are waiting for some extremely promising candidate. This government definitely wants to modernize the Armed Forces and jointness, theater commands and CDS are all part of it as understood by our political top brass.

This Indian Army not Pakistani Army that they would take such decision without prior approval from civilian government.
Army must have received green light from Raisina Hill.
Agreed. But somebody got to pitch the idea. And not every file goes up to Raisina hill for approval. It probably only went up to COAS. At best it might have gone up to MoD, even that is doubtful.

NoobWannaLearn

Country flag
So will we have CDS by next year? Hopefully so

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Separate cadre for drones means separate arms or a specialized course for drone pilots? Haven't we seen the badge of IA drone pilots before? I think we have. So then this should be separate arms, right? But why!? Drones will be used at various levels so better to integrate at those levels, right? For example, MRPKS will be with artillery, Mechanized R&S Battalions will have their own tactical loitering munitions and drones on wheeled platforms, infantry will have own tactical drones, ASC might use drones for supply and Army Aviation can be responsible for larger drones with operational or strategic tasking as well as large drone swarms intended for SEAD, Interdiction, etc.
Isn't it better to distribute drones like this instead of having a separate arm for this?

So will we have CDS by next year? Hopefully so
No idea. We can only hope so.

Dark Sorrow

Respected Member
I wonder if we could re-appoint those unfit to fly, ex-pilots suffering injuries or health issues in this Drone cadre, as being former pilots they could be quickly trained for remotely controlled aircrafts.
Not true exactly.
You don't actually fly drones. Computer does that for you. You set the way-points and fed in proper mission parameters, computer manages the rest - from takeoff to flying to executing mission to return to base to landing.
You need people good with computers.

Modern drones doesn't even require opertaor to be present on remote station!!! It can completely work autonomously.

Okabe Rintarou

Country flag
Not true exactly.
You don't actually fly drones. Computer does that for you. You set the way-points and fed in proper mission parameters, computer manages the rest - from takeoff to flying to executing mission to return to base to landing.
You need people good with computers.

Modern drones doesn't even require opertaor to be present on remote station!!! It can completely work autonomously.
Depends on the hardware. Herons don't have automatic take-off and landing, for example, while Rustom-2 does.

Global Defence

New threads

Articles