Indian Army, Food Guide.

Abhijeet Dey

Country flag
During the 1980's when my father was posted in Arunachal Pradesh he used to get tinned mackerel in rations. Now they have stopped those items.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Posting some photos of break fast & lunch & Dinner together ..

The Last Stand

Country flag
Sunday`s Break Fast ( Langar )

Chole Bhatoore .. :thumb:

=================

In Morning there are other recipes are also served like Upma and Bread butter or roti sabji or Puri chole etc ..
Do IA Soldiers survive on that paltry meal? I would be hungry within 10 minutes after that :)

hitesh

once i was admitted to army hospital in meerut when i was in class 10th , i was put under ICU for the first night for observation (i fell from 10ft head on and lost consciousness)then transfer d me to gen ward , although i was fine after that but i spend 1 week at the hospital .As i was more than 15 yrs old so they admitted me to grown ass men ward ,but my one week was like a tour as i was all right but doctor's wanted to check for internal injuries .
so my first night was in in the ICU ward when i woke up in the middle of the night i saw iv inserted into my wrist and all sick people near by my bed so i also started feeling like a patient for a while ,in the morning a nurse came and gave me 4 slice of bread with honey on it ,i was hungry a i did't had my dinner last night(as i fell before having my lunch last day), after finishing my those little bread slice i was waiting for that generous nurse to come again with more bread slice dipped in honey but to my dismay she did not turn up .As all the other patients there were too sick or injured to eat any solid food ,so i was the only one there looking for some serious food . soon i came to know that there a kitchen in next room where you can help your self but there was a problem ,i had iv drip stuck into my wrist for no reason, now i can't move around ,later they removed the drip. So then after i went straight into the kitchen to have milk bread and butter for my breakfast .In the after noon they shifted me to gen ward as i was showing no symptoms for keeping me in icu. once i moved to gen ward then the fun started i was in the middle of army jawans who were not so injured only with broken bones and small issues .there hospital staff gave me patient uniform but they could not find a single uniform that would be of my size ,the shirt was like an over coat and the pajayma was too big for me so i kept the shirt only to be worn as over coat . Now the food talk --- in the after noon we used to get some local brand pepsi thing i don't know its brand actually . 2 eggs in the morning else milk with mostly ----ng and chapatis some times patato veg ,as i was the only kid there so they used to give me extra eggs that i actually some times feed to dogs there, as 2 eggs (boiled one) were more than enough for me to eat at a time . In the after noon there was an option either go to the mess there or eat at the bed the menu used to be yellow daal rice ,and roties, again with pumpkin as veg (which i used to hate ). Saturdays were bit different ,although i spend only one sat there but there was some thing special on menu at dinner we had meat ,but actually there was only water with some pieces of bones . While i was at the hospital i used to go at the place where they actually cook all that stuff , that was on a very big scale ,big boilers etc .

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
You had to wear hospital pyjamas and top?

Were you admitted in the OR ward?

Hospital food, whether you are in the Officers' Ward or elsewhere seems no good since you are too sick (unless you are a malingerer).

They have to ensure that you get the type of food that the doctors ordered and sometimes when you are on bland food, then things are real bad.

As far as the mutton given, it is the question of the draw, if you are eating in the patients' dining room. The hogs hog the good pieces and the remainder have bones with slight meat.

Can't blame the hospital.

Blame the Indian mentality!

As far as eggs, in the olden days, the troopers preferred vegs and puris. So, one got that. Eggs also given from the medical standpoint.

Lastly, military cooks are no 5 Star hotel chefs. They are lousy.

I know of chaps who get small broiler pieces, complain that they have not got enough.

I know of chaps who when they get huge pieces, ask if it is of peacocks! Honest!

Pleasing all types is real difficult.

And I am not supporting the hospital, cooks. It indeed is lousy.

Try fancy civil hospital too!

They are no better!

I have the experience of both.

Where the civil fancy hospitals are concerned, they cover up with good, fancy and medical gobbledygooks. The military loses out on that!

Last edited:

Ray

The Chairman
Professional
Pork was popular with some troops like the Gurkhas.

Many units had their own piggery.

It was a great supplement to the rations.

But the Govt banned it (unit run piggery) because of an overall communal requirement in the country.

Quite a stupid order actually.

It upset the Gurkhas for sure.

I don't understand why the Govt brings in their communal rot into the Army and upset the troops!

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Sir, Doesn't pork are unsafe to eat as they eat anything ? I never had pork and dont know much about the meat ..

I had wild boar couple of times when in Phulgaon ( Ordinance ) it was very tasty ..

Pork was popular with some troops like the Gurkhas.

But the Govt banned it (unit run piggery) because of an overall communal requirement in the country.

I don't understand why the Govt brings in their communal rot into the Army and upset the troops!

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles