Indian Army Aviation Wing

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
True....

But i would be happy, If it was a good source from India..

SU-25 is indeed the best CAS aircraft, But IA can use AJT anf other options too..

But for now the demand is for MTA and LCH also Rudra...

bhramos

Country flag
The IA was offered SU30 for its aviation wing 2 years back in 2009 but no follow up on that
I think Su-32/34 are best then Su-30, they would be better of bombing and ground Support roles....

Galaxy

Country flag
IMO we don't need Su 25. Today, Close Air support operations being undertaken by aircraft fighter/ground Attacker. We have Mirage 2000 specially for this purpose which will be upgraded soon. We also have jaguar in 3 digit.

Did anyone wondered why 51 Mirage is operational close to Pak border ? Due to close air support only. Example - Kargil.

We might need strategic bomber like Tupolev Tu-160 if possible but Su-25 is not needed. Even IAF was/is not interested.

We are also buying 22 Boeing AH-64 Apache or Russian Helicopter soon which will serve the same purpose.

Specific close Air support aircraft are not so useful anyway due to SAM.

Everything is good but we buy what is needed.

Last edited:

pmaitra

We might need strategic bomber like Tupolev Tu-160 if possible but Su-25 is not needed. Even IAF was/is not interested.
Dude, that comparison is like comparing a crocodile with a lizard. What is IA Aviation Wing going to do with Tu-160? That is a strategic bomber meant for intercontinental missions. We are talking ground support here.

Just compare their sizes man. ;)

Tu-160:
Length: 54.10 m
Wingspan: 55.70 m
Weight: 110,000 kg

Su-25:
Length: 15.33 m
Wingspan: 14.36 m
Weight: 10,740 kg

Last edited:

Galaxy

Country flag
Dude, that comparison is like comparing a crocodile with a lizard. What is IA Aviation Wing going to do with Tu-160? That is a strategic bomber meant for intercontinental missions. We are talking ground support here.

Just compare their sizes man. ;)
Tupolev Tu-160 is giant. I didn't meant for Army aviation wing but for IAF. 8)

For Army one, Su-25 is not needed. Best possibilities to have some 50 quality Attack helicopter like Apache. Rest Mirage/Jaguar will do the work from IAF side. If Su-25 was very important, we would have bought it long back as our defence doctrine is mostly same. Also Do remember enemies SAM which will be deadly for these Su-25 near border as they will fly at low level from ground.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
Interesting. I guess the IAF will be up in arms over these as Su25 is almost a full pledged fighter jet. The US equivalent of Su25 is A10 which is operated by the USAF (and which is even less fighter-like than the Su25).

Last edited:

Yusuf

GUARDIAN
Super Mod
Country flag
This issue has been discussed over and over. I remember starting a thread "should the army have it's own CAS aircrafts" about 2 years back.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Actually the thread is based on Pak intel..

Also we have good dedicated threads on such topic..

And we have archived good discussion out of it..

Reactions: nrj

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
I personally like the Su-24 more than the Su-25 - faster, bigger payload and longer combat radius.

On the other hand, I think ANY turbojet should be owned and operated by IAF. If the IA wants they can get Turboprop attack aircraft - cheaper and easier to maintain.

ALBY

Section Moderator
Mod
Country flag
Tupolev Tu-160 is giant. I didn't meant for Army aviation wing but for IAF. 8)

For Army one, Su-25 is not needed. Best possibilities to have some 50 quality Attack helicopter like Apache. Rest Mirage/Jaguar will do the work from IAF side. If Su-25 was very important, we would have bought it long back as our defence doctrine is mostly same. Also Do remember enemies SAM which will be deadly for these Su-25 near border as they will fly at low level from ground.
galaxy SU25 coud be used against maoists and NE terrorist hide outs if GOI had got a back bone..and iam sure those rascals dont have any manpads or sams in their arsenal except cheap cheap chines RPGs

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

nrj

Ambassador
Country flag
su25 against maoists?? You gotta be kidding me!

First of all that will do more civilian damage than maoist elimination. Second its overkill! You want to drop cluster bombs & a2g missiles?

I pray nobody gets boner to do su25 on naxals/maoists!

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
If anything, the COIN forces should have a couple of helos for support - for gunships, insertion/ extraction (1-2 squads) and med-evac. Probably the ALH armed with an autocanon and a MMG should be enough for support. Primarily to negate any ambush situations or to stop large scale attacks by Naxals.
The COIN forces should also have UAVs for Reconnaisance.

ace009

Freakin' Fighter fan
http://defenceforumindia.com/internal-security/26267-straight-talk-e-n-rammohan.html

This will give you a good Understanding On Maoist affair, And the Use of Air Power..

This guy is real Professional and Highly experienced Solider..

Respect !
I did hear his interview and I agree with most of his points, but, I do not agree with NOT using any air support for COIN forces. Helo gunships can be really helpful for Ambush situations - if there was even one helo gunship coming in to support that company of CRPF personnel being ambushed by the Naxals, 76 Jawans would not have died. A Helo can fly in from 100 kms away within 15 mins and destroy the ambush cordon in another 5-6 minutes with MMG and autocanon fire.

SPIEZ

Country flag
I did hear his interview and I agree with most of his points, but, I do not agree with NOT using any air support for COIN forces. Helo gunships can be really helpful for Ambush situations - if there was even one helo gunship coming in to support that company of CRPF personnel being ambushed by the Naxals, 76 Jawans would not have died. A Helo can fly in from 100 kms away within 15 mins and destroy the ambush cordon in another 5-6 minutes with MMG and autocanon fire.
With respect I suggest you see both parts of the interview, in the second he gives a brief about that incident, you should listen to it.

Last edited:

asianobserve

Tihar Jail
Banned
Country flag
To preempt any attempt by the IA brass to make their own little air force the IAF can turn to their C130 Js. They can go with the US Marines proposal and configure these units to fire 30mm cannons on the side door or missiles from the wings, "Instant Gunship."

The IAF will not lose a transport in the process since the airframe will not be changed.

Or they can go for the dedicated USAF AC130 type configuration:

Last edited:

pmaitra

su25 against maoists?? You gotta be kidding me!

First of all that will do more civilian damage than maoist elimination. Second its overkill! You want to drop cluster bombs & a2g missiles?

I pray nobody gets boner to do su25 on naxals/maoists!
I agree it is overkill; yet, we have done this before. Personally, I would be reluctant to resort to such tactics.

History

Main article: History of Mizoram
The origin of the Mizos or Zomi, like those of many other tribes in the northeastern India, is shrouded in mystery. The earliest Mizos were known as Kukis. Mizo history in the 18[SUP]th[/SUP] and 19[SUP]th[/SUP] century is marked by many instances of tribal raids and head hunting led by the village chieftains. The Lushai Hills Autonomous District Council was formed in 1952 and it led to the abolition of chieftainship.The autonomy however only partially met the aspirations of the Mizo people so representatives of the District Council and the Mizo Union pleaded with the States Reorganization Commission (SRC) in 1954 for integrating the Mizo-dominated areas of Tripura and Manipur with the District Council in Assam. The tribal leaders in the northeast were unhappy with the final SRC recommendations and met in Aizawl in 1955 to form a new political party, Eastern India Tribal Union (EITU). This group raised their demand for a separate state comprising all the hill districts of Assam. The demand for a separate Hill state by EITU was kept in abeyance.

Independence movement

There was little development in the state and many people were in hardship including food shortages. The Mizo National Famine Front dropped the word 'famine' and a new political organization, the Mizo National Front (MNF) was born on 22 October 1961 under the leadership of Laldenga with the specified goal of achieving sovereign independence of Mizoram. Large scale insurgency broke out on 28 February 1966 at the government installations at Aizawl, Lunglei, Chawngte, Chhimluang and other places and the Government of India responded militarily. This was the first time that India had used its air force to quell a movement of any kind among its citizens."In the afternoon of 4 March 1966, jet fighters attacked Aizawl. The next day, a more excessive bombing took place for several hours which left most houses in Dawrpui and Chhinga veng area in ashes," recollected 62-year-old Rothangpuia in Aizawl.[SUP][3][/SUP] The Mizo National Front was outlawed in 1967 and the demand for statehood increased. The Mizo District Council delegation met prime minister Indira Gandhi in May 1971 and demanded full fledged statehood for Mizoram. The Indian government offered to convert the Mizo Hills into a Union Territory (U.T.) in July 1971. The Mizo leaders accepted on the condition that Statehood occurred sooner rather than later.

Founding of Mizoram state

Rajiv Gandhi's election to power following his mother's death signaled the beginning of a new era in Indian politics. Laldenga met the prime minister on 15 February 1985. Some contentious issues which could not be resolved during previous talks were referred to him for his advice. With Pakistan having lost control of Bangladesh and no support from Pakistan, the Mizo National Front which had evolved from the Mizo National Famine Front after the great famine of 1958 used the opportunity that had now presented itself. New Delhi felt that the Mizo issue had been dragging on for a long time, while the Mizo National Front was convinced that disarming, to live as respectable Indian citizens, was the only way of achieving peace and development. Statehood was a prerequisite to the implementation of the accord signed between the Mizo National Front and the Union Government on 30 June 1986. The document was signed by Pu Laldenga on behalf of the Mizo National Front, and the Union Home Secretary R.D. Pradhan on behalf of the government. Lalkhama, Chief Secretary of Mizoram, also signed the agreement. The formalization of the state of Mizoram took place on 20 February 1987. Chief Secretary Lalkhama read out the proclamation of statehood at a public meeting organized at Aizawl's parade ground. Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi flew in to Aizawl to inaugurate the new state. Hiteshwar Saikia was appointed as Governor of Mizoram.

Source: Mizoram - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Galaxy

Country flag
Pakistan monitoring Indian plan to buy fighter aircraft

Friday, October 21, 2011

Pakistani armed forces, especially the army and air force, are closely following the Indian Army's efforts to acquire a ground attack aircraft on its own, sources in the capital city say.

According to reports from across the border, the Indian Army is trying to raise two aviation brigades that would consist of two squadrons each, one for attack and the second for surveillance, air observation for artillery and casualty evacuation. Not only that, the Indian Army has proposed to buy fixed wing fighter aircraft. In this regard, the Su-25/39 from Russia is being suggested.

Not surprisingly, the Indian Air Force is angry at the proposal, which it terms interference in its domain. Most importantly, it is a no-trust move in the prowess of the Indian Air Force, which insists that the army should turn to it for close air support while the Indian Army is not inclined to do so.

According to reports, the bickering between the two forces has gone to an extent where the Indian defence minister recently "urged the armed forces to reconcile differences on acquiring and using military assets" and offered to play "a limited role in finding reconciliation."

The issue arose after the Kargil war, where both the Indian Air Force and Army fared poorly. While the Army had no idea about the occupation of posts, the air force could not hit the Mujahideen accurately. The MiG-21 did not work properly while the IAF was forced to adapt Mirage-2000 to the Himalayan conditions.

Reports published at that time said the Indian government pressed the IAF into action without employment of air campaign plan, which led to strategic blunders.

The situation had forced the Indian Army to ask the IAF to stop its operations in Kargil and Drass sectors with Indian Air Chief Air Chief Marshal Tipnis rushing to Srinagar to explain why the IAF could not perform.

Sources said the IAF had lost a MiG-21, a MiG-27 and an MI-17 helicopter to the Pakistan Army's ground fire besides four MiG-21s, one Mig-27, one Jaguar and two helicopters in the Kargil theatre.

Sources said possible procurement of advanced Su-25/39 aircraft for close support operations and control over IAF helicopter fleet would give the Indian Army additional firepower while Pakistan will have to take certain steps in this context. These include strengthening the surface-to-air missile and anti-aircraft gun capabilities in the battlefield.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles