Indian Army Artillery

silverghost

Country flag
Colonised in culture for sure (look at their traditions and terminology)

but in these things I think it all comes down to $$$, literally.

remember the countless scams under UPA, these guys didn’t just evaporate post-2014. It would be beyond naive to assume everything is above board now and motivations are entirely transparent.

the ATHOS rumours refused to die and here we are a few years later with an RFI tailor Made for it despite all the progress ATAGS has made.

at this point I’m more disgusted by the PMO for letting these things play out like this, if it’s apparent to us then it must be to them but instead just like with MRFA and P75I the senior most civilian leadership are playing the role of mute spectators to these games which is implicit or explicit condoning such behaviour
Why wouldn't Bharat 52 fit the bill? Is it inferior to Athos?

samsaptaka

तस्मात् उत्तिष्ठ कौन्तेय युद्धाय कृतनिष्चय
Country flag
Anything can fit problem is with the jarnails not the artillery
Exactly, you base your tactics and strategy on the available weapon systems which have the advantage of being domestically manufactured. Not the other way round, wherein you produce tactics and strategy then try to go shopping world wide for the system that exactly matches your requirement and then demand that you want it even though it may cost the GDP of Bangladesh !

SUPERPOWER

Country flag

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
Whats the point..
Dhanush pe Muzzle velocity radar lagaye ya LRTR radar..
Question is: INDIAN PHOREN ARMY ORDER DEGI KYA ????
Bhai sahab , dhanush sachi Me induct hochuka hai, final Ekdum final wala operational clearance ke Saath.
114 ka order hai, 18 delivered ki gayi hai, 18 aur March tak kardijayengi
FdumtbNaIAEvn6A.jpeg

Ye apka dhanush field me hai
Ye wale ka induction me ab koi lafda baki nai hai

Flying Dagger

Country flag

jai jaganath

Country flag

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Bhai sahab , dhanush sachi Me induct hochuka hai, final Ekdum final wala operational clearance ke Saath.
114 ka order hai, 18 delivered ki gayi hai, 18 aur March tak kardijayengi
View attachment 187103
Ye apka dhanush field me hai
Ye wale ka induction me ab koi lafda baki nai hai
The one delivered are 45 mm cal later on 52 mm will be delivered currently under trial or cleared ?

As army want to standardise and have one ammo/cal for most of its artillery needs.

Total will be around 400+

Whats the point..
Dhanush pe Muzzle velocity radar lagaye ya LRTR radar..
Question is: INDIAN PHOREN ARMY ORDER DEGI KYA ????
Muzzle

Dhanush is Howitzer ( basically Foren Bofors ka Desi roop ) but we paid for its blue prints and right to build them in India.

Bharat 52 inherently better derived from this

Athos and atags Guns are up against each other.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
The one delivered are 45 mm cal later on 52 mm will be delivered currently under trial. As army want to standardise and have one ammo/cal for most of its artillery needs.

Total will be around 400+

Muzzle

Dhanush is Howitzer ( basically Foren Bofors ka Desi roop ) but we paid for its blue prints and right to build them in India.

Bharat 52 inherently better derived from this

Athos and atags Guns are up against each other.
Even if they order 155 / 52 mm ones and 155 / 45 mm ones
It is one and the same thing.
The ammo used is vanilla bofors fh 77 b haubits is compitable with 45 cal one and 52 cal one and also in k9 vajra and upgunned sharang and even atags .
Basically its the same ammo for all the above.
You do realise that
The length of barrel is different. Which is multiplication of bore diameter with calibre .
It affects the range but ammo is one and the same.
So 155 × 52 = 8060 mm or 8 metres almost
155×45 = 6975 mm or 7 metres almost
155 ×39 = 6045 mm or 6 metres almost is barrel length.
This affects the range but the ammunition is similar

Flying Dagger

Country flag
Even if they order 155 / 52 mm ones and 155 / 45 mm ones
It is one and the same thing.
The ammo used is vanilla bofors fh 77 b haubits is compitable with 45 cal one and 52 cal one and also in k9 vajra and upgunned sharang and even atags .
Basically its the same ammo for all the above.
You do realise that
The length of barrel is different. Which is multiplication of bore diameter with calibre .
It affects the range but ammo is one and the same.
So 155 × 52 = 8060 mm or 8 metres almost
155×45 = 6975 mm or 7 metres almost
155 ×39 = 6045 mm or 6 metres almost is barrel length.
This affects the range but the ammunition is similar
I have mentioned ammo/ Cal.

Absolutely range and effectiveness will increase with longer barrel, just like a carbine vs rifle vs sniper using same round.

155*39 -- barrel length

155*45

155*52

The only downside is weight and stress on the chassis of Dhanush and for that better metallurgy was required.

In order to reach or extend range of shorter barrel Howitzers/Guns specially ammo are used but can be achieved using standard ammo in 52mm.

It is 155 mm Ammo tech which is improving and in future it will be larger 52 mm which will be needed As larger chambers of larger cal. permits more-powerful charges/propellants.

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
I have mentioned ammo/ Cal.

Absolutely range and effectiveness will increase with longer barrel, just like a carbine vs rifle vs sniper using same round.

155*39 -- barrel length

155*45

155*52

The only downside is weight and stress on the chassis of Dhanush and for that better metallurgy was required.

In order to reach or extend range of shorter barrel Howitzers/Guns specially ammo are used but can be achieved using standard ammo in 52mm.

It is 155 mm Ammo tech which is improving and in future it will be larger 52 mm which will be needed As larger chambers of larger cal. permits more-powerful charges/propellants.
I have noob sawal for you, kindly help me here.
How exactly does the length of the barrel of a gun influences its range?
As for ammo part, rest assured sir
Army has standarised on erfb bb type shells, for bofors they use he 77b .
See, the type of shells i know, m107 the ordinary ammo though in production in india is mostly for training and phased by every army across the world .
So ammo type of 155 mm used on all types will be same
Infact m777 is 39 caliber while vajra is 52 calibre .
Still they used same round in a exercise recently covered by aajtak

Flying Dagger

Country flag
I have noob sawal for you, kindly help me here.
How exactly does the length of the barrel of a gun influences its range?
As for ammo part, rest assured sir
Army has standarised on erfb bb type shells, for bofors they use he 77b .
See, the type of shells i know, m107 the ordinary ammo though in production in india is mostly for training and phased by every army across the world .
So ammo type of 155 mm used on all types will be same
Infact m777 is 39 caliber while vajra is 52 calibre .
Still they used same round in a exercise recently covered by aajtak

When use bow and arrow and stretch string to the max, can gain more speed and distance. That's basic.

Basically the explosion increase the pressure and have contact with projectile for longer due to long barrel thus velocity of the projectile/round gets increased and covers more distance.

Now with larger chamber of 52 mm more powerful propellants can be used too.. but here

Both were 155mm that's why they can use it but the distance covered will be different for both case.

Last edited:

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles