Indian Army Artillery

sgarg

@Hari, information not coming out does not mean no action taken. We shall hear in due time.
There is a focus on Army and there will be more in the budget.
The fund allocation needs to increase.

Last edited by a moderator:

Virendra

Ambassador
Country flag
Even BAE, the maker of M777 has shown some interest on their overpriced gun, but no progress. This largescale purchase of 39 caliber gun will go against the the Indian Army assertion of 52 caliber gun. But if it is a foreign stuff, the Army will compromise.
Another question of vital importance is feeding this huge expansion proposed in 155 mm artillery, is there progress being made on making the right kind of ammunition? Indian made ammunition,if you believe the posts, have been found defective. Is their progress on redressing this part of the anomaly.
As of now we're not buying the M777. Reason (if we believe the Defense Minister's reply in Parliament) are - cost and deviation of vendor proposal from the offset requirements.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
If i am right, Some of the Dhanush already delivered to Army units over thar, Replacing aging 130mm Field guns ..

M777 will be produce in India except the barrel, Tot won`t be transferred ..

===============

Personally i was on tour, Now i am back and will answer your queries and others beside my work of moderation ..

Please do ask, I am not sure i deleted any post recently rather moved them in other threads ..

In this thread, the moderator, Kunal Biswas has maintained a dead silence except deleting a few posts.

I am sure that there is some progress among the suppliers who are vying to supply the duly approved gun system. Before the approval, if anybody could be critical of government inaction, they were having a field day, but not now.

Tell me, who knows enough about South Korean, or Ruag, or Denel or any other gun whether towed or tracked has put in a word or two to educate the keyboard warriors.

What about the final test results of Dhanush or light artillery promised by an Indian supplier, who has relocated a European factory lock stock and barrel to India.

The more important to know is whether the very unpleasantly disposed Indian Army who have been spoiled with imports is happy with local suppliers and collaboration. How come PM Modi is watching but not acting to descipline the armed forces. He can act to fire a general or two and send the the spoiled generals into oblivion. He is quite good at it. He has fired the DRDO chief for encouraging groupies in the research labs. He could do the same in the armed forces. Why is Navy works with the local suppliers and R & D and succeeds but not the IAF and Indian Army.

Yes Mr. Biswas, you Can delete this post. No big sweat for me. But I have noticed that in less than a day you have an answer on anything which is assault rifle related posts but completely silent on the very vital aspect of fighting forces like artillery.

Another question of vital importance is feeding this huge expansion proposed in 155 mm artillery, is there progress being made on making the right kind of ammunition? Indian made ammunition,if you believe the posts, have been found defective. Is their progress on redressing this part of the anomaly.

Jagdish58

MOD took right decision by scrapping M777 and giving chance to kalyani light weight howitzer

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Army intend to induct around 414 number of guns, First 50 were meant to be delivered by the end of jan 2015 ..

It is however unclear that these 50 were already inducted or not ..

Hello Sir, After Long Time. Has Dhanush induction started and can we expect more orders for dhanush soon from army?

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Gen VK Singh in a recent Interview with MoneyControl

"The problem is with your procedures. Let me give you one simple example. We made a gun, which we called the Indian field gun, an excellent in the gun, in the Jabalpur coach factory. In last 25 years, you haven't made a single gun. Why? Because the procedure says Indian army has not ordered more guns, "Hey guys, why were you sleeping? Why didn't you upgrade yourself to make something else?" Today, we won't have been looking for a 155mm if this gun coach factory along with the DRDO, along with the armed forces, sat down and had made or taken a stride in making a 155 caliber gun. So, the basic mentality has to be changed."

This was my gut feeling for many years abt defence research in india, which i was not able to express clearly in words. Defence research in India, when successful (Naval Projects, IAF Avionics) has followed an approach , more or less as suggested by the General above. So, maybe, for successful defense product realization, all concerned parties should be involved with the project, and a Heavyweight and Influential Project leader (who signs ACR or decides bonus, has authority to hire and fire team members from that particular project) should be selected. Japanese companies have concept called as "Cross Functional Team" and a position known as "Project Leader" who directly reports to the CEO. An example is the recent OFB 155mm 45 Cal Project, where, after Summer trials were passed , if the team had a structure as suggested by Gen VKS above, small no. of guns like 18-24 nos / 3-4 batteries can be inducted in terrain where the trials were successful, like say Rajasthan sector, and induction in Winter terrain can be differed pending winter trial results. The new guns would complement the existing 105mm and 130mm artillery in desert sector, and no one is suggesting yet that they will replace the Bofors. This approach has also been seen in Navy-DRDO sonar projects, where new developments "complement" the existing hardware, which is often imported. IMHO, such an approach gives an option to field commanders at the grass roots level, who can atleast have some weapon to fire back with, when previously nothing was available.

==================

Indian Army places first Small order for Indian Bofors | idrw.org

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Old But Important Saruv Jha`s tweets ..

[tweet]509342730674122752[/tweet]
[tweet]509343187211546624[/tweet]
[tweet]509344827935166465[/tweet]
[tweet]509937369496027136[/tweet]
[tweet]509937657464373249[/tweet]
[tweet]510055143220318210[/tweet]
[tweet]510055437320732672[/tweet]
[tweet]510055775557804032[/tweet]

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Desi Bofors howitzer undergoes final trials in major boost to indigenization

Both the Army and OFB, in fact, are "quite excited" about Dhanush, which performs "20-25% better" than the original Bofors gun in virtually all parameters like range, accuracy, consistency, low and high angle of fire and shoot-and-scoot ability. "It outclassed the Bofors during the trials in Sikkim at sub-zero temperatures at 11,500 feet altitude," said an official.
The Army hopes to plug at least some of its operational gaps in long-range, high-volume firepower through the initial induction of 414 Dhanush guns. The OFB has already been given an order of over Rs 1,260 crore to make 114 howitzers. There was a slight setback to the project when the barrel of a Dhanush prototype burst during firing trials at Pokhran in August last year. But officials contend it was the use of "old ammunition with air bubbles" that led to the accident. "The inquiry established there was no fault with the barrel or its metallurgy," he said.
Source : Desi Bofors howitzer undergoes final trials in major boost to indigenization - The Times of India

========================
========================

As per the plan, OFB will manufacture 18 howitzers in this financial year, followed by 50 in the next, and 100 per year thereafter," said the official. Based on the current production plan, it will take around 6 years (2020) to produce all 414 Dhanush guns.

Simple_Guy

Jaisalmer district refuses to allot land for field firing range - The Times of India

District collector said based on the survey report the Army has been told that around 1.5 lakh cattle including cows, camels, goat, sheep etc will be affected as people are mainly into agriculture and animal husbandry.

Apart from this, there are thousands of hand pumps, which is villagers' source of drinking water and irrigation for farming of jeera, isabgol, sarso, moth, bajra. Meena said he has suggested that the Army should think of a land where there is no population and less leasehold lands, tube wells, houses and other infrastructures so that there is no problem in displacing people and they can avoid protests.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

Articles