Indian Army Artillery

Blood+

Country flag
So if 720 guns converts to 36 regiments then IA should have at least 1200 M 46 towed artillery pieces into its inventory.If OFB can upgrade the entire inventory with the L45 barrel along with muzzle velocity and meteorological radars,digital ballistic computers,ACCS;along with the upgraded FH 77B would make quite a formidable artillery unit for the time being and would enable IA to fight against superior paki arty at a more equal footing till the ARDE ATAGS or some imported L52 howitzers are inducted.

On a separate note,I think we should have asked the Ruskies for a license to manufacture the Smerch MBRL (both the launchers and rockets) in country like the Pakis are about to do with A 100 MBRL.

arnabmit

Homo Communis Indus
Country flag
On a separate note,I think we should have asked the Ruskies for a license to manufacture the Smerch MBRL (both the launchers and rockets) in country like the Pakis are about to do with A 100 MBRL.
Why so? We already have Pinaka MkI with upto 40Km range, Pinaka MkII with upto 60Km range and Pinaka 2 with 120Km range under development.

Blood+

Country flag
Why so? We already have Pinaka MkI with upto 40Km range, Pinaka MkII with upto 60Km range and Pinaka 2 with 120Km range under development.
As a stop gap measure my friend,to jack up the numbers till the 300mm Pinaka 2 MBRL enters mass production.

Twinblade

Country flag
Press Information Bureau
Government of India
Ministry of Defence
29-April-2013 18:46 IST
Test of Guns

Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) has carried out several internal firings of their in house developed 155mm x 45 calibre Artillery Gun and it has met the planned objectives. However, User Test Fire is yet to be carried out.
OFB has received indent for 114 Nos. of 155mm x 45 calibre Artillery guns which are to be delivered as per following delivery schedule:

SI.No.FromToNo. of GunsRemarks
1.T*T+86*T is the date of accord of Bulk Production Clearance.
2.T+9T+1212
3.T+13T+2436
4.T+25T+3660
Total114

This information was given by Minister of state for Defence Shri Jitendra Singh in a written reply to Shri Rakesh Singh in Lok Sabha today.

HS/HH/RK

url=http://pib.nic.in/newsite/PrintRelease.aspx?relid=95272
Common sense says that all the private players who are prancing around showing off their imported wares be given a production run of the 45 caliber Dhanush gun.
ie
L&T
Tata
Kalyani/Bharat Forge
Mahindra

and also BHEL.

Let them absorb the technology and train the manpower before the 52 caliber gun goes into production. Not only will it help get industry into the game, but it will also make it possible to induct 500-600 Dhanush guns in the next 5-6 years.

Twinblade

Country flag
Interesting Pic, It looks like OFB upgraded M46 has similar auto loader like on FH-77 ..
No guns were upgraded by OFB. 180 guns were upgraded by Soltam. It is not a proper auto loader but a semi auto pneumatic loader assist device.

So if 720 guns converts to 36 regiments then IA should have at least 1200 M 46 towed artillery pieces into its inventory.If OFB can upgrade the entire inventory with the L45 barrel along with muzzle velocity and meteorological radars,digital ballistic computers,ACCS;along with the upgraded FH 77B would make quite a formidable artillery unit for the time being and would enable IA to fight against superior paki arty at a more equal footing till the ARDE ATAGS or some imported L52 howitzers are inducted.
About 300 M-46 guns would be upgraded now, private companies and OFB will compete for the contract. The older Soltam upgrade was not very successful and the company was banned before any tech transfer could take place.
Defence Ministry allows private sector to participate in howitzer upgrade - Economic Times

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional

I hope this was not previously posted.

Last edited by a moderator:

Blood+

Country flag
No guns were upgraded by OFB. 180 guns were upgraded by Soltam. It is not a proper auto loader but a semi auto pneumatic loader assist device.

About 300 M-46 guns would be upgraded now, private companies and OFB will compete for the contract. The older Soltam upgrade was not very successful and the company was banned before any tech transfer could take place.
Defence Ministry allows private sector to participate in howitzer upgrade - Economic Times
I never said OFB HAS upgraded the entire M 46 inventory,I said IF they can then it would be a good addition.
By the way Kunal bhai and Twinblade,why as per you they are planning to upgrade only 300 pieces instead of the entire inventory??

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
In my view, IA aimed to upgrade all its 130mm into 155mm, This process is on going ..

I never said OFB HAS upgraded the entire M 46 inventory,I said IF they can then it would be a good addition.
By the way Kunal bhai and Twinblade,why as per you they are planning to upgrade only 300 pieces instead of the entire inventory??

Blood+

Country flag

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Interesting find, Though using such a device in freefall guided bombs is easy, But in arty shells so does motar shells, Its a different story ..

That is because, Arty shells are subjected through intense G-forces and shock, The device has to be modified to endure such force, Yet able to preform flawlessly ..

I think DRDO will find a solution, But this can be only done if Army asked for such capability ..

DRDO-Private Industry Collaboration Creates GPS Receiving Module 'G3om' For Military Operations

@Kunal bhai,how about using this tiny 17 gm baby called G3oM to develop cheaper indigenous alternative to Excaliber arty shells,GPS guided MBRL rounds....heck this device could be used to develop JSOW type extended range glide bombs,LACMs and even ballistic missile RVs!!What do you say??

Blood+

Country flag
Interesting find, Though using such a device in freefall guided bombs is easy, But in arty shells so does motar shells, Its a different story ..

That is because, Arty shells are subjected through intense G-forces and shock, The device has to be modified to endure such force, Yet able to preform flawlessly ..

I think DRDO will find a solution, But this can be only done if Army asked for such capability ..
@Kunal da,an organisation that has been developing several different kinds of guidance mechanisms for IRBM RVs shouldn't have a problem to develop the same for a howitzer or a mortar shell I believe-I mean take for example the RV of the Agni IV,it has an apogee of 850 km and you can imagine the intensity often terminal velocity and g force imparted on the RV when it re-enters the atmosphere!!If they can manage to develop guidance devices that can endure such intense g force,then a howitzer shell would be like a child's play,ain't it??
All it takes for our armed forces top brass issues to take notice at the latest developments in technology in our country and neighbourhood and show a little bit of far-sight,vision and common sense which at this moment,I'm sorry to say,seems lacking.I'll be damn happy to be corrected if you or any other informed members see otherwise.

ladder

Country flag

Latest Replies

New threads

Articles