Indian Army Artillery

Jambudweepa

Country flag
The MArG system weighing at just 18 tons is unique in every way and most suitable for mountain warfare in Armenia. Hope it will be inducted in Indian army too.

View attachment 181295
Kssl claims its worlds 1st 155mm on a 4×4 . In most of the cases its either 6×6 ir 8×8 . 4×4 ll provode great shoot and scoot capability with additional benefits on rough terrain due to being light weight . Also carries some ammunitions on board .

FHMnQRLXEAA9lJZ.jpeg

SwordOfDarkness

Country flag

Jambudweepa

Country flag
What is the difference between ATAGS and Bharat-52. They both have the same caliber and ammo size.
The chamber capacity and weight . Atags has 25 lit chamber capacity . Bharat52 has 23 lit capacity . More the chamber capacity more ll be the range .

Weight of bharat 52 is less than atags

I see atleast one, no autoloader.

According to Print, another difference is that Bharat 52 has lower range as well.
Bharat52 uses elbit autoloader as far as i know .

WolfPack86

Country flag
DRDO ATAGS howitzer successfully completed all trials

Trials of indigenous 155 mm/52 Cal Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System (ATAGS) were successfully conducted at Pokhran Field Firing Range (PFFR) between 26 April to 2 May 2022.

TASL ATAGS a 155/52mm Howitzer with a 25 lit chamber & All Electric Drives(first in the world) designed and developed by DRDO and TASL has flawlessly completed confirmatory trials. A big step towards “Atma nirbhar Bharat” in critical Weapons Systems.

The Advanced Towed Artillery Gun System is a modern artillery gun developed by DRDO. This cannon has been manufactured by Bharat Forge Limited and Tata Advanced Systems Limited. So far, six to seven tests have been done for it. It was first displayed to the public at the Republic Day parade on 26 January 2017. With this successful test, the future challenges of the army will be dealt with and the firepower of the army will be further strengthened.

According to certain sources, the Indian army is expected to place an order for 400 ATAGS units soon.

The Army had, in 2018, placed an initial order for 114 of the 155mm x 45mm Dhanush, manufactured by the Ordnance Factory Board’s Gun Carriage Factory (GCF) in Madhya Pradesh’s Jabalpur — now known as Advanced Weapons and Equipment India (AWE) Limited. However, the delivery was hit by production quality issues flagged by the force and hence needed fresh firing trials before being deployed fully.

About ATAGS
The gun consists of a barrel, breech mechanism, muzzle brake and recoil mechanism to fire 155 mm calibre ammunition with a firing range of 48 km. It has an all-electric drive to ensure reliability and minimum maintenance over a long period of time. It has advanced features like high mobility, quick deployability, auxiliary power mode, advanced communication system, automatic command and control system with night capability in direct-fire mode.

The gun is two tons lighter than guns in the same category and is designed to provide better accuracy and range and is capable of firing five successive rounds in short duration. It is compatible with C3I systems like Artillery Combat Command and Control System (ACCCS) called Shakti for technical fire control, fire planning, deployment management, operational logistics management of the Indian Army.

The ATAGS has unmatched range, with Extended Range Sub-Bore Boat Tail (ERFB BT) ammunition capable of hitting targets at 35 km and with ERFB BB (Base Bleed) ammunition with a 48 km range. The ATAGS actually fired at a range of 47 km in 2017.

The advanced gun system, which weighs around 18 tonne with an elevation up to 70 degrees, has undergone extensive trials at Balasore, Pokhran and Sikkim. Reports suggest the gun has so far fired almost 2000 rounds. The hydro lateral gun has a maximum firing range of 48 km and can be deployed in under three minutes.

The ATAGS gun system comprises 7,463 components of which 4977 are manufactured parts involving about 30,000 manufacturing processes and more than 2,00,000 inspection parameters.

It is said that when the ATAGS will finally be ordered, both the private firms, Bharat Forge and TATA Power SED, will get orders, but the lowest bidder would get the largest share — 60 per cent or more.

Both ATAGS guns developed by the respective firms have the same performance parameters and the final contract will be awarded based on the cost cited.

Blademaster

The chamber capacity and weight . Atags has 25 lit chamber capacity . Bharat52 has 23 lit capacity . More the chamber capacity more ll be the range .

how much of a difference does a 2 liter make? What is the weight difference?

Jambudweepa

Country flag
how much of a difference does a 2 liter make? What is the weight difference?
I think it should be around 7/8km . Atags can fire up to zone 7 (48km) . We are talking about normal artillery shell here . Rocket assisted artillery shell or artillery shells with fins which allows gliding ( excalliber for example ) provides more range .

Gap is around 3 tons .

Last edited:

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
I think it should be around 7/8km . We are talking about normal artillery shell here . Rocket assisted artillery shell or artillery shells with fins ( excalliber for example ) provides more range .

Gap is around 3 tons .
Sir , do you photos of ofb made
155 mm high explosive extended range shell ?
( not Bt or BB)

Love Charger

चक्रवर्ती
Country flag
No i dont have it .
I see. Actually ofb is retarded
They paint their high explosive shells in yellow , rather than sea green .
Hence , it gets difficult to make comparison
I thus have to rely on the number of rings at bottom or the color of band at top
For example, there is is this 155 mm HE shell, looks similar to erfb one , but retards have painted it in green, and. Ylow band on top but they also paint thier smoke screen erfb and ffv07 shells in green.
Its frustrating to identify

Jambudweepa

Country flag
Laser based igniter planned for ATAGS .

I was reading a article on this from 2010 where USA army wanted laser igniter for their field artillery because -

the difficulty and expense of using primer based ignition systems, which are black powder-filled brass cartridges.

primer based ignition systems can cause problems such as jamming complex high-maintenance primer feed mechanisms, as well as premature firing due to primer sensitivity

explosive primers also are difficult and expensive to manufacture, store, monitor, resupply, and retire from service at the end of their life cycles

Laser-based artillery firing systems, on the other hand, are expected to reduce weapon logistics and provide safe, reliable propellant ignition,

Army officials say a militarized solid state laser ignition system, through improved production, could reduce the unit cost of artillery firing systems by as much as 40 percent.

abingdonboy

Country flag
Laser based igniter planned for ATAGS .

I was reading a article on this from 2010 where USA army wanted laser igniter for their field artillery because -

the difficulty and expense of using primer based ignition systems, which are black powder-filled brass cartridges.

primer based ignition systems can cause problems such as jamming complex high-maintenance primer feed mechanisms, as well as premature firing due to primer sensitivity

explosive primers also are difficult and expensive to manufacture, store, monitor, resupply, and retire from service at the end of their life cycles

Laser-based artillery firing systems, on the other hand, are expected to reduce weapon logistics and provide safe, reliable propellant ignition,

Army officials say a militarized solid state laser ignition system, through improved production, could reduce the unit cost of artillery firing systems by as much as 40 percent.

Another excuse not to induct it and keep it in trails

silverghost

Country flag

Bharat 52 is much cheaper than ATAGS.

Master Chief

Country flag
Why the fk are the ATAGS and additional K9s still not ordered?? Are these pathetic generals and MOD waiting for India to get spanked in a war before they place some orders or what
They are just making sure that India is never ready for war, and the gernails have a tension free tenure.. So, GOI has no option but to give away land as buffer to the Chinese, whenever Chicoms get hungry.. All the Marvel comic QRs make sure of that

Jambudweepa

Country flag
They are just making sure that India is never ready for war, and the gernails have a tension free tenure.. So, GOI has no option but to give away land as buffer to the Chinese, whenever Chicoms get hungry.. All the Marvel comic QRs make sure of that
The situation is very miserable . 114 dhunus artillery were ordered in 2018 . Only 12 guns have been delivered so far :rofl: .... They were importing cheap chinese component with made in Germany tag .

Atags , mountain gun orders are not being given i dnt know why .

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles