Indian Army Artillery

indiatester

Country flag
If they find any defects in the final trials, will they refuse to induct?
We should train ourselves to fight with what we have an improve on it rather than reject the tool that will help us immensely.

Indx TechStyle

Kitty mod
Mod
Country flag
If they find any defects in the final trials, will they refuse to induct?
We should train ourselves to fight with what we have an improve on it rather than reject the tool that will help us immensely.
I guess, trials for all weathers and climate would be conducted, just like LCH.

indiatester

Country flag
I guess, trials for all weathers and climate would be conducted, just like LCH.
Thanks. @Sergi from peeDF answered my question as well. My understanding now is that if any problem found is fixed immediately, then the trails will continue with the fixed units. Else those individual trials will be conducted later on. Barring really bad failures, the trails and later induction should proceed well.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Given the reputation of Indian Army trails for all Indigenous systems, It will take no less than 7 years to get it into service ..

M777 is expensive but its needed, Kalyani co can develop it and Government has to do something to reduce OFB influence at MOD ..

Was the Bharat forge made light howitzer given a comparative trial against the M777, if not then the talk of make in India is all fuss..

indiatester

Country flag
Given the reputation of Indian Army trails for all Indigenous systems, It will take no less than 7 years to get it into service ..

M777 is expensive but its needed, Kalyani co can develop it and Government has to do something to reduce OFB influence at MOD ..
I figure that this decision to induct M777 was more a political compulsion to keep US happy than prioritizing on Make in India.
Unfortunate that these have not been first chalked out before falling into the US obligation.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
I would have agree with you, If we have other options readily available ..

M777 we will get have their barrel tech TOT here, Its was posted in this very thread ..

And i doubt the fire-control computer would be American either ..

I figure that this decision to induct M777 was more a political compulsion to keep US happy than prioritizing on Make in India..

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
145 too low we need at least 500 light guns, We ahould also take a hard look at the Bharat Forge ULWH. In sufficient numner we should be able to dominate the passes leading to the frontier from either side of the border.

Prashant12

Country flag
Defence ministry concludes deal with Larsen & Toubro, gives much needed ammunition to private sector

NEW DELHI: India is set to award its largest order formilitary equipment to the private sector, with the Ministry of Defence concluding negotiations with Larsen & Toubro for 100 new mobile artillery guns that may be deployed along the western border to blunt the edge thatPakistanhas with US-supplied weapons.

The Rs 4,500-crore contract for theK9 Vajra-T howitzer, which had been under price negotiations since the beginning of this year, has been finalised and the defence ministry is set to move it to the Cabinet Committee on Security for approval.

Besides being the first artillery gun to be made by a private firm in India — only the Ordnance Factory Board has produced howitzers in the past — the value of the contract makes it the largest to be entrusted to the industry.

"The deal has now been frozen as the price negotiations have been completed. A Cabinet approval for the contract is expected to come through over the next month or so, following which the order will be placed," a person involved in negotiations told ET.

L&T, which has Samsung as its technology partner for the contract, will produce the guns in India under a JV company. Close to 50% of the gun will be indigenised and manufactured in India at L&T's Strategic Systems Complex at Talegaon near Pune. The 155-mm artillery guns are specially designed for operation in the desert areas bordering Pakistan and have been a long-standing requirement of the Indian Army.

The mobile artillery guns will take on a Pakistani battlefield edge on the back of artillery guns supplied by the US. Concerns over Islamabad acquiring a conventional edge heightened in 2009 when the US supplied it 115 of the modern M109A5 cannons as a 'reward' for its assistance in the war on the Afghanistan border.

While the initial order is for 100 guns to be delivered within four years of signing the contract, the number may double as the deal has a follow-on clause. L&T won the bid for the army's contract last year in a global competition against a Russian company, which failed to clear technical trials.

Industry experts said the contract would boost the private sector, which has been scouring for orders from the defence ministry.

"This proposed contract, which could well be the singlelargest inked by an Indian private sector player, will have a multiplier effect not just on the revenue but also on the confidence of the relevant tiered participants of the indigenous defence industrial base. In addition, it will serve as a beacon for other private players when it will eventually get signed," said Ankur Gupta, vice-president A&D at EY India.

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com...on-to-private-sector/articleshow/52998267.cms

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
With DHANUSH, VAJRA & M777 three sets of differnt guns are OTW to the arty corps. Now the M46 Upgunning program, the 105mm upgradation and the truck mounted gun programs need to be handled. I'd say we Should let OFB handle the M46 Upgunning, Kalyani can upgrade the 105mm units.
The truck mounted guns can be split between TATA & AL , we need nearly 1000 of these AL+ NEXTER can build 500 with the rest coming from TATA +DENEL.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
Our 155mm39/45/52 Tube Artillery inventory should look something like this by 2025

414 pieces of 155/45 & 155/52 DHANUSH

500 ATAGS

200 FH77 BOFORS

500+ upgunned 155/45 M-46 Metamorphosis

145+145(2nd tranche will come AFAIK) M777

100+ Kalyani ULWH

100+100+100(2nd & 3rd TRANCH WILL COME) K9 VAJRA

Another 1000 odd Mounted Guns which i expect will be split between TATA+DENEL & AL+NEXTER.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador

This may not be related to Indian Military directly but surely has potential, Ofcourse i am talking MRLS on tracked vehicles ..

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
The original BHIM was based on the T-6 turret using the tech developed by Gerald Bull. This same tech is now locally available via Kalyani. Why can't we design a turret fit a Bharat-52 into it and integrate it to an Arjun Chassis for our own tracked SPG?

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles