Indian Army Armored Vehicles

sgarg

Thanks for this information. So what are the current wheeled APCs in army?

W.G.Ewald

Defence Professionals/ DFI member of 2
Professional
I think India operated BTR-60 not 70 or 80, Wheeled Vehicles were discarded as they had limited use over Indian terrain, Couple of them are junking outside my house ..
Nice playground for kids?

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Ambassador
Country flag
best place to see all the Wheeled APC's and other armor ever operated by the IA is at the Tank Museum in Ahmednagar. I've been there only once in 2005 , sadly i did not own a camera phone then.I still remember an old Tanker telling a couple to ask their 10 year old to get down from an old destroyed tank the child was playing on his words were" Sirjee apne ladke ko boliye ispe na chade, aapke liye yeh sirf tank hai. Mere liye yeh mere bhai ka kabr hai".

Tank Museum
Cavalry Tank Museum, Ahmednagar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sgarg

Wheeled IFVs do have uses. They run faster and break down less. Wheeled IFVs have longer range.

I think army should have wheeled IFVs, specially for mountainous regions.

sgarg

MPV are needed for internal movement (within country) of troops. APC and IFV (with qualities of MPV + more armour + heavy weapons) are needed for movement over enemy territory.

GOI just approved 363 new BMP-2 infantry combat vehicles from Ordnance Factory, Medak, for the army for Rs 1,800 crore. This is an interesting buy which clearly seems for plains on the Western border.

I think MPVs can be bought now directly by the army as there are multiple local vendors and unit price is low. CCS is for big ticket purchases.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
FICVs needed hard push rather we are pour money on outdated equipment which are still outdated due to their out dated design ..

BMP-1/2 are one of the most uncomfortable vehicles to ride in, Nor they are safe from HMG fire and Motar rounds so does RPGs compare to other modern APC / IFV ..

sgarg

Kunal, can you find the exact specs of this BMP-2 buy? Each vehicle is costing 5 crore. Maybe it includes composite armour and new fire control system.

Kunal Biswas

Member of the Year 2011
Ambassador
Qualitative Requirements (QRs) for Upgrade

The upgrade must not compromise the existing amphibious capability of BMP 2/2K, or their ability to operate in varied climatic and terrain conditions varying from extreme hot desert conditions to extremely cold high altitude regions.

Any increase in weight of the APC due to the upgrade must be compensated by a more powerful engine that fits into the existing engine compartment. There should be no reduction in internal space.

The upgrade is expected to span the following major systems of the ICV:

Engine, Transmission, Gear and suspension system, Cooling system, Weapons system and ammunition, Gunner Sighting (Day and Night), Commander Sighting, Fire Control System (FCS), Anti Tank Guided Missile (ATGM), Level of protection and Maintainability,

The Indian Government had earlier announced that the Indian Army would be upgrading it's entire fleet of approximately 1,900 Infantry Combat Vehicles (ICVs) comprising BMP-2/2K to BMP-2M standard to enhance the fleet's firepower and lethality.

Upgraded ICVs will be fitted with the latest generation Fire Control System, Twin Anti Tank Guided Missile (ATGM) Launchers, 30 mm Automatic Grenade Launchers and Commander's Thermal Imaging Panoramic sights.

In addition, they will feature better observation and surveillance, night-fighting capability and fire control.

They will be powered by a new 380 HP engine to enhance the ICVs' cross-country mobility, flotation and gradient negotiating capability. Existing BMP-2s which equip the Indian Army's Mechanized Infantry regiments are powered by 285 HP Russian-origin UTD-20 285 engine, which limits their versatility.

ICVs are used for breaching enemy defenses and transporting troops behind enemy lines while keeping them safe from small arm fire.

Kunal, can you find the exact specs of this BMP-2 buy? Each vehicle is costing 5 crore. Maybe it includes composite armour and new fire control system.

Latest Replies

Global Defence

New threads

Articles