Indian Army Armored Vehicles

Aschenbecher

Thanks. The wiki article on Indian Army Equipment is misleading.
So only BMP-1 and BMP2 are the active IFVs. That is what IA pictures show.

Any idea why BTR-70 and BTR-80 are retired or these never got inducted?
I think India operated BTR-60 not 70 or 80, Wheeled Vehicles were discarded as they had limited use over Indian terrain, Couple of them are junking outside my house ..
In the 90's my father was CO of Indian Army Mech Batt that converted from BTR to BMP1 IFVs.
They had a Pooja to say goodbye to old BTRs.

I remember i was a little boy back then.

Those were some good ol days.

Rushil51

Country flag
In the 90's my father was CO of Indian Army Mech Batt that converted from BTR to BMP1 IFVs.
They had a Pooja to say goodbye to old BTRs.

I remember i was a little boy back then.

Those were some good ol days.
You are talking about BTR-60s,right?
Also have we ever operates BTR-80s?

Aschenbecher

Thanks. The wiki article on Indian Army Equipment is misleading.
So only BMP-1 and BMP2 are the active IFVs. That is what IA pictures show.

Any idea why BTR-70 and BTR-80 are retired or these never got inducted?
You are talking about BTR-60s,right?
Also have we ever operates BTR-80s?
No , never BTR-80.

Only wheeled APC in IA now is BRDM-2 and thats not exactly a APC its a recce vech.

All Indian Army Mech units were converted from BTR-60/70 to BMP1 (in 90s) and then to BMP-2 (in last decade) .
BMP-2s were later given atgm , targeting and ballistic computer upgrades.

BMP-2 currently in IA mech units is a very effective IFV in my opinion.

However, IA would doo a lot better if it got new IFV based on CV9040. That is one of my fav IFVs.

Abhishek Tanwar

Please Help me Out . Tell me How to Post a new Thread and if any one have Ans of This Question . is India have Hydrogen Bomb and E-Bomb . i tried more then 18 Net site and spent more then 3 days but i can't get any Result of it . Thanks Please Response.

Zebra

Country flag
Please Help me Out . Tell me How to Post a new Thread and if any one have Ans of This Question . is India have Hydrogen Bomb and E-Bomb . i tried more then 18 Net site and spent more then 3 days but i can't get any Result of it . Thanks Please Response.

BTW check at top left side of each forum, you may see "Post New Thread ".

In each forum you will see the same...... "Post New Thread".

Click it and you can post new thread.

Last edited:

anupamsurey

Country flag
BTW check at top left side of each forum, you may see "Post New Thread ".

In each forum you will see the same...... "Post New Thread".

Click it and you can post new thread.
even i dont see a "post new thread'', and i m unable to upload pics from my PC to the forum

Zebra

Country flag
even i dont see a "post new thread'', and i m unable to upload pics from my PC to the forum
And that is after 444 posts count, yeah!

Anyway check at the top of "Title / Thread Starter"

Dude, if you can't even see it, then contact Mods.

They are better with those, who can't see / find such things.

su35

Country flag
What about Tata Kestral and Recon Vehicle showen in defence expo

Do anyone has Idea?
Can Rail Gun Replace Conventional Arty Guns. And how much cost effect it may be.

Is DRDO has Rail gun or working on Rail gun?

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
Do anyone has Idea?
Can Rail Gun Replace Conventional Arty Guns. And how much cost effect it may be.

Is DRDO has Rail gun or working on Rail gun?
AFAIK the DRDO has a working directed energy weapons program but it does not have a Railgun program yet.
For Railguns to be able to surpass conventional artillery we would need an electrical power source that is portable,rugged and powerful enough to be easily integrable into a rail gun chassis. This power source is yet to be invented that my friend is the main drawback of railgun weapons.

bengalraider

DFI Technocrat
Country flag
Railguns as land based artillery weapons shall remain unfeasible until a suitable portable power source can be invented(cold fusion maybe). We might see them on warships though. Maybe 20yrs down the line the yanks could convert an old Nimitz into a arsenal ship firing railgun projectiles using energy from those reactors.

sabari

Rail gun need huge capaciter in large to store current and to release rapidly so the rail gun will not be mounted on trucks or tank rail gun ar big even for ships .so we can't see rail as artillery units at least to 2 decade .it just my openian

Chinmoy

Country flag
As far as Rail Gun is concerned, I think as of now, its more of a propaganda gun then a feasible one. Lets take these into accounts, the main strength of a Rail Gun is in its projectile velocity which works fine in a direct line of sight firing. But when you consider firing it like a Howitzer, I don't see much difference as the projectile would come down at a speed of 10m/s, same as that of a Howitzer.
The hypersonic speed of the projectile give it the distance, very true, but we have also to take into account the mass of the projectile it shoots. E.g. a normal 155/52 mm guns shoot a projectile of 5/6 kg to a distance of say 24km, then a rail gun would fire the same projectile to say at least 50 km or so, but to fire the same it would require a massive power house which in turn would increase its operational cost (as discussed earlier).
The projectile tested so far from BAE system Rail Gun is ob around 2/3 kg and moreover its completely unguided. So I think, against an enemy bunker in Himalayas, a Howitzer firing 6kg round is far more suitable then a Railgun with all its powerhouse et.al firing a 3kg projectle.

But yeah, I think rail gun could play a far more defensive role against aircraft, cruise missile and tactical ballistic missile then the offensive role.

Shaitan

Zandu Balm all day
Country flag
@Kunal Biswas @pmaitra

An homemade laser warning system for armored vehicle is developed. Currently, Arjun Mark 2 uses an Israel LWS.

LASTEC has designed and developed a laser warning and countermeasure system for Armoured Fighting Vehicle (AFVs). A LWS is capable of handling multiple type of laser threats and has an operational range of more than 6 km for laser designator type of laser threat. After detecting the laser threat along with its direction, it also has the capability to generate trigger signal to activate the grenade launcher for firing of smoke grenade in the direction of laser threat to obscure the platform under threat. Technology of the LWS has been transferred to BEL, Pune.

The laser warning sensors detects the laser radiation processes, determine the PRF and edge matching signals. It comprises of opto-electronic front end, signal processing and conditioning, embedded module for PRF decoding, and edge matching signal.

The master controller receive inputs from multiple laser warning sensors, processes the information and feeds the desired commands to the decoy laser. The master controller comprises of hardware and software module to interface with the laser sensor units and the decoy laser.

Decoy laser is a high energy laser source that takes command from laser warning system and generate a pulsed laser radiation synchronised with the PRF generated by the laser warning system. It is used to illuminate a dummy target to misguide the laser guided bomb on to the dummy target.

Articles